#61 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

What did Brad say about Jimmie this time? I can't find anything about it

He was probably talking about JJ's perfectly timed run in with the wall, that just happened to hand Gordon the free pass and put him back into contention.

#62 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Who's talking about "intentionally wrecking?" Nobody did that, nobody mentioned it.

Brian France's decision was based on what he called "totality of events," which I take to mean, "There has been so much poo going on I can't keep track of it all."

And if you don't think crew chiefs discussing putting 2 or 3 cars together to benefit themselves over another car is just as subversive to the competition as telling someone to pit, I don't know what to tell you.

There is nothing subversive about drafting partners because it is in the spirit of competition, legal and transparent. Nor is it detrimental to any one driver or team

Collusion, however is subversive and in this case detrimental to a specific team. It also hurts open competition which is penalized in any sport.

That's why NASCAR drew a line.

#63 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

There is nothing subversive about drafting partners because it is in the spirit of competition, legal and transparent. Nor is it detrimental to any one driver or team

Collusion, however is subversive and in this case detrimental to a specific team. It also hurts open competition which is penalized in any sport.

That's why NASCAR drew a line.

So why is blocking legal then?  Nascar just opened a whole cans of worms by doing this.  Drivers spinning to bring out a caution has been going on forever.  Now every time a driver does it should the penalties be the same?  Funny how is worked out that Gordon benefitted from all this at the end.  So next year you will see the same thing  happen only their will be no radio conversations so can fine them.  

#64 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

So why is blocking legal then?  Nascar just opened a whole cans of worms by doing this.  Drivers spinning to bring out a caution has been going on forever.  Now every time a driver does it should the penalties be the same?  Funny how is worked out that Gordon benefitted from all this at the end.  So next year you will see the same thing  happen only their will be no radio conversations so can fine them.  

Blocking is legal because the blocking car is using a legal strategy to maintain it's own position regardless of who is behind you. Now if your crew chief told you to go block an individual driver to hurt him and improve your team, that would clearly go against the spirit of open competition.

One big reason is that you are hurting yourself and another team. You are supposed to make every effort to win. True in almost any sport.

That is what Bowyer did. He made his own position worse in the race. He stopped racing, stopped trying to do his best and hurt himself and hurt Newman. 

Same with the guy who pitted. Hurt himself and hurt Gordon. 

Things like that should always be penalized. They are clearly detrimental to the sport.

Making two cars better through draft strategy is fine. You aren't taking away any other driver's ability to do the best they can. 

As far as spinning to stop a race, that has always been illegal and drivers have been penalized plenty. NASCAR has never been consistent in penalties and I am not defending them. 

#65 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,184 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

"Now if your crew chief told you to go block an individual driver to hurt him and improve your team, that would clearly go against the spirit of open competition."

Why the hell else would you block someone other than to improve your team (by keeping you ahead of him) and hurt him (by keeping him behind you)?

"As far as spinning to stop a race, that has always been illegal and drivers have been penalized plenty. NASCAR has never been consistent in penalties and I am not defending them."

This is where NASCAR fails. How the hell are they going to start policing every spin on the track? Looking at every pit stop, penalizing guys who slow by 3 mph on the track, guys who move over and let someone pass? How are you going to penalize those? Happens every week, the slower cars move over and let the faster cars pass... that's intentionally hurting yourself and allowing someone to improve their position thanks to the slower car.....

#66 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

"Now if your crew chief told you to go block an individual driver to hurt him and improve your team, that would clearly go against the spirit of open competition."

Why the hell else would you block someone other than to improve your team (by keeping you ahead of him) and hurt him (by keeping him behind you)?

You missed the point.

#67 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Steve Wallace 2014 ROTY.

#68 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Karma put in a little work @ Chicago. Kenseth off to a good start, too.

#69 Third Degree

Third Degree

Come back soon, 89

• HUDDLER
  • 4,529 posts
  • Location704

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Junior in last place in Chase standings after a blown engine. It pisses me off the guy can't beat one car in the Chase, this will mark the third year he's finished last in a Chase. The whole team – driver, crew chief, engineers, everyone – on the 88 just sucks it up every fuging year in the last 10 races. I don't understand.

At least 2 posters will say "hurrr durrrr living off his dad's name even though he died 12 1/2 years ago durrrr" or "that's because he sucks," but I think neither are true. He's never gonna win another race but he's shown solid consistency the past few years...at least before the Chase begins. Then it's Suck City for 10 races.

Oh well. At least he made it. 

#70 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Damn, Kenseth is 2 for 2.

#71 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

It's going to be a shootout between Kenseth and Johnson. Both of them are good on all the remaining tracks so it'll probably come down to who is the luckiest.

#72 CCS

CCS

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Kyle Busch is almost an entire race behind now. I'd be lying if I said that didn't make me happy.

If Kevin Harvick somehow won it I'd be very happy though.

#73 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Would love to see Harvick win it for Childress before he left.

#74 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm going to this race thing tonight. It's been over a decade since I've been to a real race. I'm cheering for Harvick for some obscure reasons. Any tips on visiting the Speedway? I think I'm in the Ford section?

#75 CCS

CCS

• HUDDLER
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Bring ear plugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.