Zod

Fixing the Panthers Offense in 4 Easy Steps

This is a common misconception people have.

The execution yesterday was just about what every team has on every sunday. No team completes every pass or plays mistake free football. All teams fumble the ball. The difference is, their offensive gameplan is such that it overcomes these issues and puts points on the board.

It was the same playing not to lose Fox ball we all grew to hate for years. Hell, even Fox has given up on Fox ball but we still think it will take us to the promised land even though the NFL has become a passing league. If we think our QB is too incompetent to play in a passing league then we need to get rid of him.

Cam had a good QBR. D-Will's YPC was good. As a whole, the execution was fine.

The strategy was not going to score us many points, that is the problem.

I don't think our team sucks but I'm tired of losing seasons. We've had quite a few of them in recent memory. I'm tired of making excuses and just accepting the zen way. I've done that for the last several seasons, and I want to see us actually win close games. I'm not calling for us to fire Rivera right now, but damn it, I wish I could see more fire from him. I admit I might just be missing it/not privy to it, but it just feels like he has a lack of urgency all the damn time.

Hey I'm with you, losing hurts... especially the way we lost.

However, I saw enough good things out of our team where I believe that this team has a future in the playoffs this year.

That lack of fast-paced offense really drives me crazy. In like 3/4th of our plays, we snap the ball just before reaching out of time.

i saw a couple times where we just barely got the ball snapped before time ran out. at a home game, that's inexcusable, esp. when we were told that the streamlined offense would prevent that.

Hey I'm with you, losing hurts... especially the way we lost.

However, I saw enough good things out of our team where I believe that this team has a future in the playoffs this year.

I saw a lot of good things, too.  I don't think the season is done because of this loss, but I fear we won't make the playoffs for the same reasons we lost this game (in the larger sense than "if d-will hadn't dumbled" or "greg hadn't dropped passes" etc).  If we don't find a way to gain a killer instinct and a coach willing to take risks, even in close games, I don't think we can pull off games against good teams.  We can hang with them, yes, but beat them?

I admit I could be wrong, and I do hope you are right.

i saw a couple times where we just barely got the ball snapped before time ran out. at a home game, that's inexcusable, esp. when we were told that the streamlined offense would prevent that.

I have a bad feeling that its not going to change. Shula has always been knocked for not getting plays in quickly, taking too much time to call them.

Hopefully it was just a one game thing, opening day jitters. We need to speed things up.

• Pie 1

I think the game plan was decent to start the game and feel them out, but adjustments should have been made in the second half.  You gotta let Cam take some chances.  Worst case he throws an INT deep and the defense holds on forcing a punt again.  With this kind of defense we can afford some mistakes, and we can afford taking more chances to score.  All the great QB's throw interceptions sometimes because they are trying to score, we weren't trying to score yesterday until we went down.  I don't know what exactly i was watching. Rivera himself needs to grow some balls, that 4th and inches are you F'n kidding me!  We have Cam Newton who could fall down and get 3 inches.  Would Jim Harbaugh punted there?   

I can fix their offense in one step.

1. Don't play the Seahawks every week.

how about this...develop a gameplan that doesn't turn cam into a conservative ball control game manager.

I think dumb penalties cost us the game. Armond smith fuged up not just once but twice. Josh Thomas fuged up 3 times: the turnover on ST was huge, then getting burned twice back to back on the ame play. That and a great strip of dwill was the difference in the game.

• Pie 1