Fixing the Panthers Offense in 4 Easy Steps

136 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

i think you're right about the secondary, but the offense should have scored more or at least got us un field goal range more than once. i'm not blaming this on cam. i'm blaming it on the secondary being weak and the receivers not hanging on to balls, williams fumbling, and game management that couldn't get the ball down the field and giving up on drives too early.

Indeed.

I mean, we didn't attempt a SINGLE field goal.

So the ONLY times in the game we even threatened to score on offense was the TD pass and D-Will's fumble.

Twice... in a 60 minute NFL game.

That ain't just good Seattle defense. That's PATHETIC Carolina offense. And, as Zod pointed out, the "numbers" look good... Cam completed 70% of his passes, didn't throw an interception, only sacked once, D-Will averaged 4+ yards per rush, etc.

So why did we only threaten to score twice? I believe it's for the exact reasons Zod has pointed out.

Sitting back, playing it safe, and hoping for the best is not usually the most successful of strategies when playing the league's best teams.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

How did that work out for us.

Id say not so bad. Take away Olson's drop and DWill's fumble, and we possibly have 21 points. Lets say we only got field goals, that would be 13 and enough to win. Not to mention the special teams fumble that cost us a drive.

Yes, we only scored 7 points, but thats not all on the offense play calling,

Posted · Report post

I watched the game from a sports bar in Montana. Most everyone there was impressed with the way the Panthers played and I regularly overheard people saying that they would be a surprise team this year. The general perception was "look what they are doing to the Seahawks.....look how they are standing up to them"  It was really odd to hear so much positive about them when I am used to this place. I never started these conversations or even took part...I was just overhearing them.

Posted · Report post

If you go to Seattle's forum, they are all impressed with Carolina, and gained respect for the team. They seem more impressed then people here haha

Posted · Report post

I'd like to thank Zod and rayzor for injecting some logic and well-reasoned analysis into these threads about yesterday's game.  I tried in the locked Shula thread but was so dang mad I couldn't even type straight.  If we take the Bills and Giants, maybe we'll have something to look forward to after the bye.  If things aren't shaping up well by the middle of October, I expect JR may get his broom out of the closet, hand it to the G-man, and do a little house cleaning again.

On a positive note, if the season does go down the crapper this year, the 2014 draft is overloaded with OL talent.

Posted · Report post

I actually think there is validity in both arguments. We didn't take enough shots, there was poor execution during key parts of the game, and D-Will's fumble was the last nail in the coffin and the epitome of s_n_a_t_c_h_ing defeat out of the jaws of victory. 

Now, I fully expect us to rebound and beat the Bills (If we don't, then it's going to be a long season on the field and especially in the Huddle), but the real test is going to come in week three against the Giants.  Beat the Giants, and we're 2-1 heading into the BYE, and all of these whiny, bitchy, ill-informed, extreme threads will gradually disappear.

Posted · Report post

If you aren't here to read about and/or discuss the Carolina Panthers, why ARE you here?

I'm here to discuss the Panthers, not provide my input about how to fix the team when I know that there is no way in hell that I know more about football than Rivera and his coaching staff.

The Huddle is essentially saying thy they are more knowledgable than our head coach. I'm sure a lot of people playe high school football on here and are under the impression that they know a lot about the game because they were All-State in a homeschool league.

That is like me saying that I am a better photographer than Zod. I know nothing about cameras but I've used one before so I guess that means I'm better with cameras than Zod.

Posted · Report post

Indeed.

I mean, we didn't attempt a SINGLE field goal.

So the ONLY times in the game we even threatened to score on offense was the TD pass and D-Will's fumble.

Twice... in a 60 minute NFL game.

That ain't just good Seattle defense. That's PATHETIC Carolina offense. And, as Zod pointed out, the "numbers" look good... Cam completed 70% of his passes, didn't throw an interception, only sacked once, D-Will averaged 4+ yards per rush, etc.

So why did we only threaten to score twice? I believe it's for the exact reasons Zod has pointed out.

Sitting back, playing it safe, and hoping for the best is not usually the most successful of strategies when playing the league's best teams.

i'm not going to link it because it's peter king, but on MMQB he mentioned two things about this game that hit me and troubles me.

• Seattle, which scored 37 points a game on average in its last six games of 2012, managed 12 at Carolina, and still won.

The Panthers sure didn’t look explosive on offense against Seattle. They looked cautious.

Posted · Report post

If all you had to do to play good offense is attempt big crazy plays then every team would do it. Our offense has struggled in pre-season and was playing one of the best defenses in the league last year. It's no real shocker that they didn't look explosive or that the answer is that they should have just tried to be explosive. That's just silly.

Posted · Report post

We saw deep passes in the preseason,  They're there, they'll come.  The gameplan had us in position that a freak fumble that several running backs would have had trouble protecting effectively ended the game.  The mistimed drops on 3rd down killed us today.  You look at us putting at least 6 more points on the board at a point where Seattle was staggering after getting punched and it could have gotten out of hand in a hurry.  I'm cautiouslty optimistic about the game.  Now if we'd put up 7 points and been curb stomped in the process... well, that'd be another story.

Posted · Report post

Counting the preseason, the starting offense has scored how many touchdowns now?

Two?

Posted · Report post

Point 4 is probably my single biggest gripe with this franchise as a whole and its been that way for as long as I can remember. We just lack the mental toughness and the "refuse to lose" mentality that I think would put us over the top.