Photo
- - - - -

PFF Notes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#16 CanadianCat

CanadianCat

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

True - he is more of a pass rushing DT rather than a run stuffing one though. Sacks, tackles and Ints (basically stats) are worth far more to votes than pressures..

#17 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Does anyone know what position Chris Scott was playing when Garry went down?

I'm bad with O-line positions and I know Rivera said today they were shifting him to RG because it was his natural position.

#18 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm bad with O-line positions and I know Rivera said today they were shifting him to RG because it was his natural position.

LG next to Gross

#19 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

So it appears Sunday will be
Gross-Silatolu/Wharton-Kalil-Scott-Bell

#20 pepaw

pepaw

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

the death star is going to ruin some offensive drives this year if he keeps it up.

Did you come up with that nickname? That's pretty good.

#21 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Doubt we get a ROY this year even if we were to deserve it.  Voter's fatigue after two in a row 'n stuff.

#22 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Did you come up with that nickname? That's pretty good.

I know I've seen Luke and the Death Star as a fantasy name.

#23 SgtJoo

SgtJoo

Reppin that Bull City

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sorry I didn't include these

Carolina can only wish their secondary matched their front seven; giving away 320 yards when you only bring extra rushers 10 times and yet still get pressure on 38% of passing plays (only four offenses surrendered that much last year) suggests this is not a good unit.

Carolina – Three Performances of Note

Star of the Show (I know – apologies – it had to be done)

It was fairly obvious during the preseason the Panthers at last had a stud defensive tackle for the first time since Kris Jenkins left Charlotte. Now, while this wasn’t a totally dominating performance from Star Lotulelei (+2.8), it was still very good indeed and for a rookie on debut – extremely impressive.

As a pass rusher he picked up a couple of hurries (one was numerically negated on an illegal shift by Seattle) and also drew a holding penalty from McQuistan, but it was his work in run defense that stood out making four tackles, three of them for 1 yard or less.

He only played 61% of snaps which is low by the standards of the premier DTs (Geno Atkins averaged 74% last year) but that will build and, for now at least, Panther fans can look forward to a significantly improved run defense in the middle.

Hold onto the Ball

So we all know about “that” fumble. Down five points and with 5:34 left in the game the Panthers had a 2nd-and2. After making another mazy run down to the eight, DeAngelo Williams (-2.3) was first hit by Richard Sherman which seemed to loosen the ball for Earl Thomas to finish the act and knock it out. When Tony McDaniel recovered it was the last action the Panthers would see on offense as Seattle ran out the clock.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the only fumble Williams had but the fact the first one bounced out of bounds (after a strip by Byron Maxwell) means it’s a lot less memorable.

It was a shame because fumbles aside he played well and 76 yards at 4.8 without much help from the offensive line is a good return. Not surprisingly, however, he didn’t put a single run into either “A” gap and his average return increased the closer he ran to the edge of the line.

Inauspicious Debut

There was some fairly poor play from guards in this game but no one suffered quite the way new left guard, Chris Scott (-5.6) did. He had a lot of difficulty even staying on his feet on occasion and much of the time I saw him losing his balance and falling over. A hit, hurry and a holding penalty allowed wasn’t the worst of it, though, and a steady stream of errors at the point of attack built to a -3.4 run blocking grade.

It’s sometimes difficult to get a feel for a performance from one play, but if you watch the way McDaniel manages to take him two ways on 2nd-and-2 before still making the tackle short of the first-down marker, it’s a good start.

Game Notes

-  Given the extremely high quality of the punting by Panthers Brad Nortman (+5.2), one of the most understated parts of this game was Golden Tate averaging 12 yards per return on four attempts.

-  Cam Newton only threw a half dozen passes beyond 10 yards. Of those throws he completed five of the six for 71 yards. The other? Well that 23-yarder was dropped by Greg Olsen.

https://www.profootb...sea-car-week-1/

#24 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Star is a beast.  He is making a world of difference in the run game.  He may never get the credit he deserves in the press because of a lack of splash plays like sacks, but he is really, really good.  I hope he stays healthy

#25 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

Scott did really well early, he just got tired down the stretch (same with Wharton).

Both will get better as they get back in shape.

Scott has never been in shape to get back to it. Conditioning is the reason he's been cut 5 times.

#26 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Scott has never been in shape to get back to it. Conditioning is the reason he's been cut 5 times.

I'm sure when he was 8 he was in shape.

#27 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

At 8 he weighed 324 lbs.

#28 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Kalil just said Scott graded out perfect is pass pro yesterday.

Should we trust website nerds or pro bowl centers? :P

#29 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

I didnt think he looked as terrible as they said he did