Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Ron and Mike say they will open up the offense,do you believe it?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I honestly think Shula was being overly cautious against that Seattle secondary. I think they went into the game wanting to be as conservative as possible and let our defense and running backs win us the game, unfortunately we didn't hold onto the ball and prevent stupid penalties that ultimately cost us the game. Had we executed the way Seattle did, we'd have won the game 14-12.

#32 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

we did some good stuff, but not nearly enough. we didn't score enough and the amount needed should have been reached. it wasn't insurmountable odds. the impression that i got was they just played it too safe yesterday and that's been my fear. i didn't see anything yesterday to lead me to believe that shula isn't the coach i thought he would be. being better than chud yesterday just doesn't cut it. i expect a whole lot more from this offense and scoring 14 points wasn't unrealisticly high expectations.

i just hate it that people are so content with what we weren't able to accomplish offensively and are all too eager to gloss it over and justify it.

Of course we can always play the coulda shoulda woulda game, however, is we score a TD instead of fumble on our last series we would have had a TD/drive rate of .250 which would be good enough for a top 10 finish last year, and was better than our rate last year.

Now, of course we didn't score a TD and instead had a fumble, so that doesn't matter.

But the point being, I didn't see any reason to panic, and I didn't see our offense as unusually poor.

It was a low scoring slug fest with a low number of possessions and a low number of total plays.

Shula did fine.  The offense was fine.  Hold onto the ball and eliminate turnover and drops, we wold have looked even better.

I guess where you say you didn't "see anything to make you believe that Shula isn't the coach you thought he was", in my opinion  I didn't see anything to suggest Shula is the coach you thought he was.

#33 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

My take is  they used the game plan that they thought would win the game but a small number of players fuged it up.

This is pretty close to the truth I think.

The question is.  Was it the right game plan?

#34 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

All Shula has to do is have a center hike the ball to Cam.....

It isn't tough to not be conservative. Seattle is a poor gauge. Again, look at last season. we weren't explosive against them not did we try. You can't just fling it around with them for lots of reasons.

To a degree it is like having Jake as your QB....no matter the gameplan 17 just wasnt conservative in nature. If a playcall had a potential deep bomb route 17 had the option of.....he likely would fling it if there were less than 6 guys on 89

Jake threw hand grenades and was bailed out by Smitty a lot...let's face it...lol. And we loved him for it

#35 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Of course we can always play the coulda shoulda woulda game, however, is we score a TD instead of fumble on our last series we would have had a TD/drive rate of .250 which would be good enough for a top 10 finish last year, and was better than our rate last year.

Now, of course we didn't score a TD and instead had a fumble, so that doesn't matter.

But the point being, I didn't see any reason to panic, and I didn't see our offense as unusually poor.

It was a low scoring slug fest with a low number of possessions and a low number of total plays.

Shula did fine.  The offense was fine.  Hold onto the ball and eliminate turnover and drops, we wold have looked even better.

I guess where you say you didn't "see anything to make you believe that Shula isn't the coach you thought he was", in my opinion  I didn't see anything to suggest Shula is the coach you thought he was.

the lack of production and conservative nature of the offense suggests that he is that coach. we can justify it by talking about the context of the game, but even rivera said it was too conservative. that's what we have to go on. that and the results.

as far as panic...there's no panic here. it's just a simple case of hoping to see more and seeing what i was afraid of and being resigned to us being poor and not living up to it's potential yet again, complete with a poo ton of excuses.

i'm sure that eventually they'll get stuff straight like they did last year...but i have this feeling that it's going to be the same story as last year.

and again, i don't think the offense was fine, but i guess i was looking for us to actually score enough to win, esp. when all we had to do was score more than 12. that's just not fine to me. production is all that matters.

#36 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

the lack of production and conservative nature of the offense suggests that he is that coach. we can justify it by talking about the context of the game, but even rivera said it was too conservative. that's what we have to go on. that and the results.

as far as panic...there's no panic here. it's just a simple case of hoping to see more and seeing what i was afraid of and being resigned to us being poor and not living up to it's potential yet again, complete with a poo ton of excuses.

i'm sure that eventually they'll get stuff straight like they did last year...but i have this feeling that it's going to be the same story as last year.

and again, i don't think the offense was fine, but i guess i was looking for us to actually score enough to win, esp. when all we had to do was score more than 12. that's just not fine to me. production is all that matters.

Rivera never throws players under the bus so he and Shula took the credit for the conservatism. After the game Cam defended Shula saying that Shula did call long shots but he didn't go there.  It wasn't Shula's fault at all.  But don't let the facts get in your way. 

#37 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,586 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I gotta say that shula called a pretty damn good game.

To many drops and fumbles to over come in a close game.

#38 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I gotta say that shula called a pretty damn good game.

Well, this makes it official. Shula called an awful game.

#39 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

7 points

Great playcalling, guys

#40 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Again, we outperformed Chud's offense in every facet over last season's match up.

i hear you, but that has nothing to do with what i said.

#41 Jai

Jai

• ALL-PRO
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Only option we have is to wait and see.

#42 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Pantherclaw only thinks the game was called beautifully because it's more important to him to see them run it more no matter how ineffective it really is than try to win

'Lomg as dem plyn old skoul footbawl thy dou sompthin raight"

#43 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

This is pretty close to the truth I think.

The question is.  Was it the right game plan?

Who knows

#44 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think they will. Then the problem will honestly become Rivera sitting on 11 pt leads too early and going back into a shell because he is a loser coach and that's what they do. He isn't comfortable enough to keep attacking like winning coaches do who don't care if they are second guessed so you watch he will protect himself and play the percentages as he has time and again and sometimes we will get burnt

#45 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Up until DWill's fumble, I thought we had played one hellofagame. Seattle is/was a tough team.

Olsen uncharacteristically drops 2 passes that would have been first downs. Who knows what happens if he holds on?

The only play that I wondered about was that early 3rd and 2 when we passed. Other than that, I was happy with the way we competed against a very good team. Sure we made some mistakes. So did they. Two very good teams played a very good and entertaining game.

Then again. I ain't as pessimistic as some of you folks. I really feel too many of you put way to much stock in a football game. It is like your self-worth is tied to how the Panthers do.

Football is a game that is meant for entertainment, not life altering serious poo. Like being snarky and condescending to folks that saw value in yesterdays game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com