Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Ron Rivera be standing up for Cam?

76 posts in this topic

Posted

There are many good candidates today but that might be a candidate for stupidest post of the day.

Quite frankly, It's all psychological,  PR, and relationship based (what I wrote/should be from Rivera, in the spirit of the post). 

But I guess you wouldn't understand. And that's fine. 

Posted

You get it man most don't get what my post is about. Look at how Harbaugh defends Kaep you mention damn Kaep in a sentence your going to have to hear from him. It's open season on Cam because nobody is standing up and making these ass holes accountable.

Greenbay said if Kaep runs the option we are going to hit him.

Harbaugh wasn't having that poo not only did he back his qb he took the option out the game plan and let kaep ball.

We've had damn hello kitty cartoons of our qb and that's in his own damn city.

Yeah, it's true. 

Look at how Indy (Bruce Arians) let Luck ring the ball out last year, despite all his mistakes. And guess what, they won.

To what you're saying: Rivera hasn't figured out yet, a lot of backing your QB is psychological. So sometimes you have to do/say dumb things (or respond to do dumb things), in order to keep your QB confident. Now of course we can say, both Smith and Kaep need constant confidence. However, at least the QB knows the coach has their back at all times as well. I would agree. Rivera has been AWOL many times, especially when Cam had a tough first half, and we all knew why, and he said nothing to defend Cam to both the local and national media. 

And I just had a guy tell me I wrote a "dumb post", cause I said he should have made sure Cam got 4000 again to end the season. However, a lot of the "Sophomore slump" criticism would have went away, if Cam would have gotten those measly extra 150 or so yards. That's what defined it to many people the yards. 

Somehow, I don't see Arians, Harbaugh, or any of those HC's not allowing their QB to get it, if they're that close. And I'm not talking about artificially getting it either. I'm talking about in the game plan the last 5-6  games in the season, instead of slowing down the offense, once the Panthers got a big early lead (whether they ended up losing the game or not). 

Posted

Yeah, it's true.

Look at how Indy (Bruce Arians) let Luck ring the ball out last year, despite all his mistakes. And guess what, they won.

To what you're saying: Rivera hasn't figured out yet, a lot of backing your QB is psychological. So sometimes you have to do/say dumb things (or respond to do dumb things), in order to keep your QB confident. Now of course we can say, both Smith and Kaep need constant confidence. However, at least the QB knows the coach has their back at all times as well. I would agree. Rivera has been AWOL many times, especially when Cam had a tough first half, and we all knew why, and he said nothing to defend Cam to both the local and national media.

And I just had a guy tell me I wrote a "dumb post", cause I said he should have made sure Cam got 4000 again to end the season. However, a lot of the "Sophomore slump" criticism would have went away, if Cam would have gotten those measly extra 150 or so yards. That's what defined it to many people the yards.

Somehow, I don't see Arians, Harbaugh, or any of those HC's not allowing their QB to get it, if they're that close. And I'm not talking about artificially getting it either. I'm talking about in the game plan the last 5-6 games in the season, instead of slowing down the offense, once the Panthers got a big early lead (whether they ended up losing the game or not).

Exactly I don't believe Ron Rivera brings out the best in Cam. I don't think he knows how. All of those things come with being a great head coach.

Posted

I have lived (in order) Atlanta Metro <*****> Louisiana <Taints> Los Angeles <at the time, Rams> Tampa <Fukenears> San Antonio <equal mix of Girls and Earlers> before I moved to the paradise that is NC. 

Our fan base is the gentlest, most polite, most forgiving, most loving bunch of sissies I have ever seen that we don't even seem like football fans in comparison.  I don't mean to disagree in a heinous fashion, but Cam has got it as good as he will EVER get it.

Any poo Cam gets from us is kindergarten talk from a bunch of shortbus, newbs.

Rivera better mind his own little red wagon.

damn, man, I hope you are able to get some counseling. You have run the gamut on having to live in poo holes. 

Posted

its' a process, he'll get around to it.  

actually, this one sucks too.

Posted

Exactly I don't believe Ron Rivera brings out the best in Cam. I don't think he knows how. All of those things come with being a great head coach.

Yup Yup!

I been criticizing these things about him from DAY ONE (even before I joined the Huddle). 

He's not the sharpest tack in the tool box. He's a defensive coordinator. That's who he is. 

But he's not a very savvy psychological and media wise. In fairness. He probably feels he shouldn't have to. However, when you have as many coaching deficiency as he. You either need to excel in what you do well enough, and/or start covering those problem area. 

In my opinion, Rivera's are just too many, unless the offense is just rolling, and don't require much assistance from Rivera to make critical, potential "game changing" decisions. 

I don't think he's a "natural". And up to this point, his system's not good enough. 

Nonetheless, after saying all that. I expect the Panthers to play very well in Buffalo. I just hope they win!

Posted

Quite frankly, It's all psychological,  PR, and relationship based (what I wrote/should be from Rivera, in the spirit of the post). 

Yeah I am sure I wouldn't understand anything psychological.  LOL

Posted

Quite frankly, It's all psychological, PR, and relationship based (what I wrote/should be from Rivera, in the spirit of the post).

Maybe you should ask P55 what he does for a living :lol:

Posted

Yeah, it's true. 

Somehow, I don't see Arians, Harbaugh, or any of those HC's not allowing their QB to get it, if they're that close. And I'm not talking about artificially getting it either. I'm talking about in the game plan the last 5-6  games in the season, instead of slowing down the offense, once the Panthers got a big early lead (whether they ended up losing the game or not). 

Yeah Rivera doesn't back Cam although you can't find a single statement he has ever made which is negative or critical.  Even when Cam  may be as fault which appears to be the case when he failed to follow the gameplan and throw balls deep, Rivera says we struggled instead of pointing out a player.

And you are in every meeting and private conversation in the locker room so you know what is said behind closed doors. You know he doesn't support him because he doesn't do silly dumb things in public, right?

And you surely know what a head coach should do or say because you have been a head coach in college or the pros, right??

Some coaches say things in public others do their talking in private.  To assume that what you hear in soundbites and interviews is the sum total or even a big part of what happens between the two of them is ridiculous.  Instead of looking at the elephant in the room which is Cam has had a lot of growing up and maturing to do because he had not faced losing before,  lets blame Rivera for Cam's struggles at times because we know it has to be someone else besides Cam.

Posted

Maybe you should ask P55 what he does for a living :lol:

Doesn't matter. 

I know a lot of "Sports Psychologist" who do diddly for their players in comparison to a "regular, laymen coach" who has no formal training in the psychology/motivational, behavioral department, regardless (and due respect) to Panther 55's  profession. So that's really Non Sequitur. 

Anyway, I was more detailing the whole notion of putting Newton first, that Ace Boogie was promoting, and how Rivera Did /Has missed the boat on that. Panther 55 was already insulting me, with out qualifying asking what I meant (though it should have been obvious to him/her, based off what we were discussing), regarding the management of Newton by Rivera. 

Posted

Doesn't matter. 

I know a lot of "Sports Psychologist" who do diddly for their players in comparison to a "regular, laymen coach" who has no training in the psychology/motivational department, regardless (though in respect) to Panther 55's  profession. 

Plus, I was more detailing the whole notion of putting Newton first, that Ace Boogie was promoting, and how Rivera Did /Has missed the boat on that. Panther 55 was already insulting me, with out qualifying asking what I meant (though it should have been obvious to him/her, based off what we were discussing), regarding the management of Newton by Rivera. 

I am not insulting you simply questioning your standing and knowledge to be able to criticize Rivera without knowing what is being said between them or their relationship.  I don't agree that what is said in public is more important than what is said in private.  I don't agree that Rivera hasn't put Newton first. From before he was drafted until the present Rivera has done nothing but sing Newton's praises in public and in private. He has never publicly put him down or criticized him except to say he was a mopey head last year after players , the media and even Cam admitted he got down on himself too much.  I think that saying because this coach does it this way and his quarterback is successful therefore Rivera should do the same or the quarterback's struggles must be the coach's fault is fallacious logic. I didn't miss the boat I just don't think that the argument put forth by you and Ace has any merit.  And that is my personal opinion nothing more.

Posted

Yeah Rivera doesn't back Cam although you can't find a single statement he has ever made which is negative or critical.  Even when Cam  may be as fault which appears to be the case when he failed to follow the gameplan and throw balls deep, Rivera says we struggled instead of pointing out a player.

And you are in every meeting and private conversation in the locker room so you know what is said behind closed doors. You know he doesn't support him because he doesn't do silly dumb things in public, right?

And you surely know what a head coach should do or say because you have been a head coach in college or the pros, right??

Some coaches say things in public others do their talking in private.  To assume that what you hear in soundbites and interviews is the sum total or even a big part of what happens between the two of them is ridiculous.  Instead of looking at the elephant in the room which is Cam has had a lot of growing up and maturing to do because he had not faced losing before,  lets blame Rivera for Cam's struggles at times because we know it has to be someone else besides Cam.

You sound like your shouting. Calm down for a moment. 

Nonetheless, I'm still bemused by your post and current ranting. 

So you're trying to say Rivera has handled Newton well with all the various criticism he's received? That's the point. Not Rivera's intentions. Lol.  Come on now. 

That's what we're talking about here. I don't care what he says behind the scenes, cause that's not what Ace Boogie was detailing. He was specifically discussing the deluge of Newton criticism with the accompanying silent response from Rivera, coupled with how he handles Newton (both on and off the field) for PR purposes. And the truth is, Rivera is clueless on both fronts (as he is in so many other areas outside of overseeing the defense). That's true and indisputable. It's just another management, responsibility issue for him (Rivera). 

The other stuff you brought up is unnecessary.  No one ever said Rivera doesn't like Newton, or speak up for Newton behind the scenes. Not at all. But Rivera has handled Newton publicly in the wrong way. You can certainly say he could have done it differently.  I do agree with that. 

It's not about what Rivera says to Newton to cheer him up by the locker. That's wasn't Ace Boogies point/focus. It's how you go after his critics and/or accept responsibility for his own mistakes, that eventually affect Newton. And it's in this area that Rivera has been ominously lax or slow in. 

And yes, he did [finally] take some responsibility this year, in his own way (for the flailing offense, first half last year, that he agree to, and stayed silent went Cam was criticized for it).