Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just re-watched the game and these plays/penalties cost us the game

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I wanna catch it on Rewind... Meant to record it and forgot.

Posted · Report post

I also saw 3 crucial drops by Olsen. It didn't look like his head was in the game to me, his routes were okay, his run after the catch was awful and his concentration on catching the ball was far from the standard he is held to.

Two of the three were perfect throws that would have put us in the strike zone.

Posted · Report post

Thank you Sir. This is what we need. I think we are becoming a damn good team. The way Smitty was quick to chew into Armond Smith told me one thing; the players know we are on the cusp and do not want any scrub messing it up. Even the look on CJ's face.

#Keeppounding.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I also saw 3 crucial drops by Olsen. It didn't look like his head was in the game to me, his routes were okay, his run after the catch was awful and his concentration on catching the ball was far from the standard he is held to.

Two of the three were perfect throws that would have put us in the strike zone.

That's the thing, football is a game of matchups. They did a nice job locking up our receivers for most of the game so all we had left was the run game and plays to Olsen. He made some nice catches but also cost us by dropping passes he normally would not have.

You really can't blame the coaches for this one at all IMO. Shula called a good game but its not his fault when players drop crucial passes and Sherman forced that fumble on Deangelo. We were always in position to keep drives alive but execution killed us.
5 people like this

Posted · Report post

That Josh Thomas mishap was the turning point.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

A lot of guys are still out of sync in the first week. I expect a lot cleaner game next week.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

My opinion is the fumble on the punt is what cost us the game. Not D-will's.

Even though they did not score we lost a possession and it completely changed the field position game. We never had field position better than our own 20 in the second half because of that.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Even the look on CJ's face.

I'm glad someone picked up on that. CJ's reaction to the second smith penalty was priceless. I thought if #89 wasn't gonna kill Smith that CJ would of been first in line.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

nice analysis. i think greg's drops took the wind out of our sails early for sure.

Posted · Report post

I also noticed Cam on that touchdown pass to Smitty.  Smitty was not his first look.  He was going to throw the fade and saw that had drawn double coverage which allowed a small window to Steve.  Cam put a laser beam in there.  That's a play that Cam didn't make last year.  He knew where all his guys were and he reacted to the defense without thinking about it.  

He was ahead of the play.  As soon as he saw that double coverage he was already throwing to where Smitty was going to be.  Awesome play.

I really think the game plan was so conservative in the downfield passing because of how good Seattle secondary is.  Cam was being smart.  We had the lead most of the time.  Don't take a chance when you can check it down and move the chains.  That's the biggest thing he's been missing in his career.  Next week against the Bills we'll still run it but you'll see a lot more play action deep balls.   (If the O-line can block for the time needed)

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

Olsen and Smith both have to play great for us to have a chance against any good team. Olsen had a bad game, but thank god we knows he's better than that.

Posted · Report post

That's the thing, football is a game of matchups. They did a nice job locking up our receivers for most of the game so all we had left was the run game and plays to Olsen. He made some nice catches but also cost us by dropping passes he normally would not have.

You really can't blame the coaches for this one at all IMO. Shula called a good game but its not his fault when players drop crucial passes and Sherman forced that fumble on Deangelo. We were always in position to keep drives alive but execution killed us.

I also hate the word execution. Greg just wasn't focused on catching the football. Those were great throws by Cam that should never have been dropped.

Posted · Report post

Another thing I should add is I enjoyed my first game as a psl owner in 505 1a so I had great perspective on the whole field and tv just can't do justice to some of the passes cam zipped right in through multiple defenders yesterday.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

What? No mention of the 4th and inches play? I'm surprised.

Posted · Report post

What? No mention of the 4th and inches play? I'm surprised.

Punting was the right call IMO... We were on on our 35 with the lead. The risk/reward was not worth going for it until you look at it in hindsight and assume we would have converted.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Im waiting for the coaches Film to come out. Will give a better prospective of who did what wrong.

Posted · Report post

Punting was the right call IMO... We were on on our 35 with the lead. The risk/reward was not worth going for it until you look at it in hindsight and assume we would have converted.

I agree with you. Coaching was not the reason we lost Sunday. I was just making a snide comment because mostly everyone was calling Rivera a pussy for not going for it.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Im not the smartest person or the one to bet. But your out your fugging mind if you think Deangelo won't cut up next week. I expect to see a mini AP. Same for Olsen
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

To me, the first drive, 1st and 10, Cam hits Olsen down the right sideline. Olsen drops it. We were driving. Next play DWill gets 4. 3rd down Olsen gets 4, and we punt.

Olsen catches that 1st down pass and the drive is almost in field goal position. To me, that was big.

Olsen had way too many drops. But that first one was huge. It may have set the tone for the game had we kept that drive alive.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Josh Thomas' coverage on that deep play by Seattle was great. He was in as good of position as you can expect against a deep route. The problem on that play was Godfrey's lack of ability to get over the top of that route. When you have deep safety coverage, everything coming back to the QB is your direct responsibility and everything deep goes to the safety. Thomas was draped on him and even got his hand in the play, but Godfrey should have been over the top to deflect, hit, or intercept.

When you know your safety is supposed to be over your head, it gives you permission to cheat a bit towards the comeback route. Thomas didn't have the pure speed to catch up, but it wasn't his play. It was Godfrey's. I thought Thomas was a bright spot all game and Ginn's decision to call poison on that punt was ridiculous. You don't let a ball hit the ground on that position on the field even if you do see it bouncing backwards. You run down field trying to block for a punt returner and the ball hits the field and bounces up to hit you when you're diagnosing your block. It's a bad bounce that could have been avoided with a fair catch.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

As far as the punt is concerned.... Looked like Ginn sorta froze instead of calling a fair catch and trying to field the ball.

As far as Olsen is concerned, he had 3 bad drops. However we all have bad days though.

Not sure but seems like the players didn't like the idea of holding on to A. Smith.

I'm disappointed with the loss but I feel good about the direction of the team. Only thing is when you control both lines of scrimmage... you expect a win. Mistakes did us in!

Posted · Report post

That drop Olsen had where Cam split the defenders was an amazing throw.  The only person that touched it was Olsen and he Fugging Dropped it.  Cam's throw to Smitty was another laser.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Josh Thomas' coverage on that deep play by Seattle was great. He was in as good of position as you can expect against a deep route. The problem on that play was Godfrey's lack of ability to get over the top of that route. When you have deep safety coverage, everything coming back to the QB is your direct responsibility and everything deep goes to the safety. Thomas was draped on him and even got his hand in the play, but Godfrey should have been over the top to deflect, hit, or intercept.

When you know your safety is supposed to be over your head, it gives you permission to cheat a bit towards the comeback route. Thomas didn't have the pure speed to catch up, but it wasn't his play. It was Godfrey's. I thought Thomas was a bright spot all game and Ginn's decision to call poison on that punt was ridiculous. You don't let a ball hit the ground on that position on the field even if you do see it bouncing backwards. You run down field trying to block for a punt returner and the ball hits the field and bounces up to hit you when you're diagnosing your block. It's a bad bounce that could have been avoided with a fair catch.

Beat me to it on the punt .... Ginn has to fair catch and field the kick.

Posted · Report post

Godfrey wasn't supposed to be covering the deep route on that play. That he ended up almost getting over there is a testament to him, it wasn't his assignment.

1 person likes this