Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Help Wanted: Second Receiver

121 posts in this topic

when he "passed on throwing to those "open" guys what did he do with the football? Because if he still completed the pass whats the problem? Just because there isn't a defender hugging the receiver doesn't make him open. He had 0 turnovers against a team that creates them. If Olsen doesn't drop those balls his completion would have been around 80%. It may seem to you he's locked in on Smith and Olsen it's because those are usually option 1 and option 2 if their open he's throwing them the ball. They have to catch it.

Right, cam threw for a whopping 125 yards and 1 TD. Correct me if I am wrong, but he had one completion with a reciever not named smith or Olsen. Go back and watch tape to see who else was open and who he targeted.

Don't worry, I am not bashing Cam, but take your homer blinders off and look at the facts.

LaFell would look much better with a QB like Brady.  As someone said, he's never going to be a guy that gets great separation, so he needs a QB that excels at "throwing receivers open," and that is one of Brady's specialties.  While Cam has good accuracy, he's not the type to do that.  He needs guys that can get themselves open, and he'll get them the ball in position to make a big play. 

To me, Lafell would be a great #3 on this team, but I don't think he will ever be the #2 we all want. 

Armanti did have a nice run block. I would still like to see Cam look past Smith and Olsen. He locks on to them for too long too often.

He took very few shots last time..,

Does last years game accurately reflect who he is?

His eye were focused on the Hawks weakness and away from their huge strength. It wasnt a bad strategy

I am not saying that he has changed....only that he seemed different in this game. Could very well be a result of the Hawks defense dictating what we did.

My point is that I hope the staff is not trying to change him

D. Hixon is the receiver the Panther's need to step up but the problem with that is he is made of glass so is always hurt. I would put his chances of making it the rest of the season right there with the Panthers winning the SB - possible but highly unlikely.

cam needs better weapons, better blockers, a better playcaller, and he needs to make the most of all of them. 

this offense just flat needs some attention that it hasn't gotten. 

Correct me if I'm wrong - didn't Sherman cover LaFell the majority of the game?

this

Last year, Sherman held Fitz to 1 catch for 2 yards, Megatron to 3 catches for 46 yards, and Dez Bryant to 3 catches for 17 yards.

1 person likes this

The QB makes the WR, not vice versa.  Smitty may be an exception to that rule, but even he had problems when Clausen was throwing him the ball.

LaFell was in position to make catches Sunday.  So was Ginn.  Newton just locked on to Smitty like Jake used to.  Granted, that could have been part of the game plan, it's not like anyone was out there taking risks or anything, and Smitty and Olsen are our two safest targets.

If we were running a wide open offense under a guy like Bruce Arians or Sean Payton, you would have seen far more targets to second and third receivers.  Instead, we threw the ball 20 times, with almost all the targets going to two guys.  That's not enough of a sample size to make a "replace this guy" judgement.

Armanti Edwards - Played one snap on Sunday and posted a single run block. At least that is something. Armanti had the best camp and preseason of his career. Apparently he has not earned the coaches trust enough to give him a chance.

Have any of the players?  This is one major fault I still have with the Rivera regime... lack of trust in what our players can do.

cam needs better weapons, better blockers, a better playcaller, and he needs to make the most of all of them. 

this offense just flat needs some attention that it hasn't gotten. 

I don't get this either.  Is the general idea that Cam is enough?  Is it that the current staff is more defensive oriented?  The offense has been neglected.

The QB makes the WR, not vice versa.  Smitty may be an exception to that rule, but even he had problems when Clausen was throwing him the ball.

Agreed....everyone should take a few minutes and listen to this interview with Greg Cosell who in my opinion is one of the best (if not the best) analysts there is. In the beginning of the interview he discusses what the Panthers are trying to do as far as Cam and his skill set. Later in the interview he is asked if the #2 receiver that the Panthers need is currently on the roster and he says Lafell is that person and goes into exactly what Cyberjag just said.

Greg's analysis on the situation is spot on IMO and definitely worth listening to.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/09/06/senior-producer-for-nfl-films-greg-cosell-on-the-panthers-you-have-a-new-gm-with-distinct-beliefs-on-how-to-play/

1 person likes this