• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,484 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

He will learn how to look off and keep the defense guessing he's only a rookie. oh wait.... My main thing with Cam is I haven't seen him really improve. it's seems like he may have hit his ceiling his rookie year. I hope that's not the case but it's what I fear.

I have to respectfully disagree.

I have seen Cam become way better at reading coverage and way better at protecting the ball.  He does sometimes stare down receivers but he also goes through his progressions on most plays I pay attention to.  I'm impressed by his growth overall, and I think he has improved substantially from when he was a rookie.  His decision making has skyrocketed, I think.  He has also improved his accuracy and if this weekend is any indication he may be settling into fewer overthrows etc, too.  I am happy with his progress and I think he can only get better.

My primary concern is that Shula won't be capable of utilizing him as best as he could.  I'm not going to make a statement like that yet, but we'll see how the season goes.

#62 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

He will learn how to look off and keep the defense guessing he's only a rookie. oh wait.... My main thing with Cam is I haven't seen him really improve. it's seems like he may have hit his ceiling his rookie year. I hope that's not the case but it's what I fear.

You heard it here first folks. Cam hasn't improved. What's his current trade value again?

#63 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I pulled up this play just b/c of this thread and wanted to try and see what Zod was seeing.

Cam did a couple things wrong here.

Mainly, it appears to this football novice, that he went through his reads MUCH too fast.  Now I don't know who is what option here, Lafell and Ginn ran pretty good routes. Lafell's guy actually stumbled a bit and Ginn planted Exceptionally well and the guy covering him bit on him running a GO route.

The REASON Cam threw it to Smitty was simple, it appears that Olsens cb #31 made a pick on the LBer that was covering the underneath route to Smith. Thus making Smitty open. 

The issue was 2 fold. 

Cam bailed on Lafell and Ginn early and threw the ball far enough behind Smith that Sherman (who is likely the best CB in the NFL right now) could make a play. 

It was a 3 step drop out of the shotgun and Cam "armed" it instead of using his whole body in proper technique.

So yeah, it was a bad play, but that doesn't mean much of poo in the big picture.

Cam passed 70%, not enough yards, and we lost.

#64 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

again zod, give us pictures of how the play developed as well so we can see it happen. the ball is out of his hands, while Ginn is open.

See my post above. I think I break it down pretty well.

Your dumbass is showing. 1) Cam has exceeded any reasonable expectations by leaps and bounds. He was and continues to be a work in progress. I have explained in detail how the Panthers haven't helped and most any reasonable fan will say he still has issues to work out.

Be smart and if you aren't work on making yourself smarter.

#65 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,178 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Here is a capture from the pass to Smith that was nearly intercepted.

panthers-seahawks.jpg

Things I notice ...

3 defenders on the right with 2 options. 2 defenders on the left with 2 receivers.

A) Smitty is not open. He is covered up pretty well by the DB. The underneath taken away by the linebacker.

B ) Ginn, hidden behind fox logo, is open and looking for the ball. He ran a great route and got the needed separation.

C) Lafell apparently is neither open nor looking for the ball.

D) Pretty decent pass protection, except for Bell.

Watching the play, Cam never takes his eyes off Smith, sadly.

Also not pictured is there is another safety just off to the left of Ginn Jr.  He is just off screen.

Ginn was running a deep hitch it looked like.  He did have a little separation though.

The other thing Zod didn't tell you is that Sherman had slipped on the play and looked like he was beat, plus Smitty drifted up field before the ball arrived.

That is why snapshots aren't always good barometers on these things although it is admittedly fun

#66 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Im going to end up buying all 22 I know it :(

#67 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

When Cam threw the ball, it definitely looked like Sherman was beat. But that guy is really fast.

#68 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

When Cam threw the ball, it definitely looked like Sherman was beat. But that guy is really fast.

and has really long arms.

Most CB's in the NFL wouldnt make that play.

#69 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Im going to end up buying all 22 I know it :(

nfl gamerewind is the business!!!  it is as close to game film that a fan can get. all 22 with slow mo. 

#70 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,178 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Not only that, but I think Smitty thought he was more open than he was because he started drifting up field.  If he stays on his route a little but longer or goes to meet the ball it would have been a reception or pass interference.

I think Smitty just thought he was more open because Sherman slipped and he was trying to get upfield.

#71 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I remember this play it was a bad one for cam, he stared down smitty the whole time I think,,,, ginn was open , its a timing route and it has to be there when he turns around, 

where the defenders are in this pic is irrelevant, as the ball would already be out of cams hands ,ideally.

#72 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Cam passed 70%, not enough yards, and we lost.

I'm not a huge fan of "statistics", but rather on production. Stats don't lie, but it doesnt always tell everything.

We can talked all day about Cam's incredible passing percentage (70%), but he didn't make enough plays Sunday to win us the game. If we just wanted to look at stats wise, Matt Schaub has a better career passing completion of 64.5% compared to the 3x Super Bowl Champion QB Tom Brady's 63.7%. Does that make Schaub a better and more accurate passer than Brady? No way. We cant tell if a QB is completing his passes by making easy dump offs/check downs to the RBs or whatever by just reading statistics.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to who makes bigger plays to help his team win games. I am going to make the Newton/Kaepernick comparison all day long, bc those two are so much similar as a QB. The only differences is Kaepernick is a bigger threat as a game changer and a better pocket presence than Cam as of right now. Carolina's fans can cry and sulk all they want about Kaepernick thriving bc of Harbaugh compared to Cam with Rivera's. Fans need to face the reality that Kaep is a much better QB than Cam atm. The only place you'll find people arguing that Cam is better than Kaep is in the Carolinas.

Last Sunday, we probably played a tougher Defense with Seattle than Kaep with GB, but that doesnt mean poo. Kaep stand tall in the pocket and picked that GB defense apart for 400+ yards and 3 tds like a veteran QB who have done it for years. Cam on the other hand looked like he was forced to be "one dimensional" without the read-option.

I dont care about how many yards Cam throw for, run for, or with a 120% passer rating. If he doesnt make enough winning plays for us with his arm rather than his legs this year, we won't see the Playoffs anytime soon.

#73 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm not a huge fan of "statistics", but rather on production. Stats don't lie, but it doesnt always tell everything.

We can talked all day about Cam's incredible passing percentage (70%), but he didn't make enough plays Sunday to win us the game. If we just wanted to look at stats wise, Matt Schaub has a better career passing completion of 64.5% compared to the 3x Super Bowl Champion QB Tom Brady's 63.7%. Does that make Schaub a better and more accurate passer than Brady? No way. We cant tell if a QB is completing his passes by making easy dump offs/check downs to the RBs or whatever by just reading statistics.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to who makes bigger plays to help his team win games. I am going to make the Newton/Kaepernick comparison all day long, bc those two are so much similar as a QB. The only differences is Kaepernick is a bigger threat as a game changer and a better pocket presence than Cam as of right now. Carolina's fans can cry and sulk all they want about Kaepernick thriving bc of Harbaugh compared to Cam with Rivera's. Fans need to face the reality that Kaep is a much better QB than Cam atm. The only place you'll find people arguing that Cam is better than Kaep is in the Carolinas.

Last Sunday, we probably played a tougher Defense with Seattle than Kaep with GB, but that doesnt mean poo. Kaep stand tall in the pocket and picked that GB defense apart for 400+ yards and 3 tds like a veteran QB who have done it for years. Cam on the other hand looked like he was forced to be "one dimensional" without the read-option.

I dont care if Cam throws for 500 yards. If he doesnt make enough winning plays for us this year, we won't see the Playoffs anytime soon.

This is a lot of words that really don't say anything.

Kaep and Cam are similar, except that Cam is bigger, stronger, faster, and has higher upside.

You do this in your posts a ton and I'm still hoping you learn better sometime, see here:

Carolina's fans can cry and sulk all they want about Kaepernick thriving bc of Harbaugh compared to Cam with Rivera's. Fans need to face the reality that Kaep is a much better QB than Cam atm.

So stating facts is considered "Sulking and Crying" ?

Harbs is saved Alex Smith, he groomed Kaep, the San Fran OLine's BACKUPS are likely better than half of our OLine, Kaep has better playcalling, better Defense and one could argue better WRs/TE.

Please start doing some research before spewing out opinions based on your feels.

#74 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yeah let's compare Kaepernick on arguably the best team in the NFL right now from top to bottom on both sides of the ball with one of the best coaches in the league to Cam, a makeshift o line, this receiver core, and Ron Rivera....

The sad thing about Chuck is, he is 100% serious with his statements. It's mind boggling.

#75 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,178 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

I love Kaep. I think he is awesome. I also praised RG3 last season. I love Russell Wilson and think he is a special guy.

The only two guys I don't gush praise on yet is Luck and Dalton.

But Cam had a good game and we played all in all a good game Sunday. We did enough to win but we didn't. That sucks and is getting old to lose these games, but it is still true.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com