• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't think Ginn is as open as he looks that has jumped route all over it. Ginn is on front of him by design. At the very least Ginn was going to get popped.

#42 jamos14

jamos14

The Huddle Beast

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Eh, I don't see it.  I see most of Cam's face which to me would mean he is looking to his right.

Either way, WTF is Lafell doing?

Running lazily.  Nice afternoon jog.

#43 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Shula probably sees something upstairs and is in Cam's ear... "look for Olsen to be open here". Cam just hasn't learned to look off yet to keep the defense guessing.

Cam has been looking off defenders since day 1 in the NFL, with pump fakes at that.

Oh, and how is the picture a bit deceiving In rtegards to how bad Bell was beat, but not deceiving, in regards to how open Ginn was?

Stop reaching Zod!

#44 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Smitty said the throw to him in the redzone for the TD was Cam's third read/option. Please stop.

I'm not talking about every play. How about stop and read my post. I know Cam usually scans the field but he was locking down on Smith and Olsen a little too much Sunday. It's not a knock on his performance or ability. Another factor to consider is that he was pressured on a lot of his throws and the other receivers weren't getting open enough on most plays.

#45 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

I think the problem here is, from the pic, it looks like Bell completely whiffs on his man and forces Cam to throw quick - and when Cam has to get rid of the ball quickly, he's usually throwing it to one of Olsen or Smith.

Yeah, notice the Seahawks player at Cam's feet - I need to go back and watch the play but it looks like Cam had to get rid of this ball quick. Cam has already released the ball in this pic, would be interested to see what things looked like a few frames before. 

#46 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• LocationILM
Administrators

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Here is a capture from the pass to Smith that was nearly intercepted.

panthers-seahawks.jpg

Things I notice ...

3 defenders on the right with 2 options. 2 defenders on the left with 2 receivers.

A) Smitty is not open. He is covered up pretty well by the DB. The underneath taken away by the linebacker.

B ) Ginn, hidden behind fox logo, is open and looking for the ball. He ran a great route and got the needed separation.

C) Lafell apparently is neither open nor looking for the ball.

D) Pretty decent pass protection, except for Bell.

Watching the play, Cam never takes his eyes off Smith, sadly.

The only issue with that play was Cam's timing to Smith. 

Ginn is covered.

Had Cam lead smitty a bit more it wouldn't have been an issue.

#47 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Wasn't this right after Olsen had the huge drop down the sideline? That would've gone for a TD because no one was in front of him.

And on the next Olsen drop, it lead directly to a punt.

If he catches those 2 passes it changes the game completely.

#48 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• LocationCharlotte, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Obviously the narrative here again has shifted to blaming Cam. It's getting old. Against the best defense in the league, Cam is too conservative, lol what? Oh and I thought we were moving on from this game yesterday? Guess not.

That throw to Smith was not a bad decision. As someone else said, if anything, the timing was off.

#49 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Here is a capture from the pass to Smith that was nearly intercepted.

panthers-seahawks.jpg

Things I notice ...

3 defenders on the right with 2 options. 2 defenders on the left with 2 receivers.

A) Smitty is not open. He is covered up pretty well by the DB. The underneath taken away by the linebacker.

B ) Ginn, hidden behind fox logo, is open and looking for the ball. He ran a great route and got the needed separation.

C) Lafell apparently is neither open nor looking for the ball.

D) Pretty decent pass protection, except for Bell.

Watching the play, Cam never takes his eyes off Smith, sadly.

This is why as cockeyed as it sounds, the best thing for us might be if Smitty gets a minor injury and misses a game or two (nothing serious or long-term).  I do think Cam is a little too comfortable with Steve, and sometimes looks for him so much that he misses other receivers that may be the better option.  So forcing Cam to pay attention to the other guys may actually help him see that the other guys can get open and get more confident in spreading the ball around. 

Also, I'm not sure why LaFell wasn't looking for the ball, maybe his route called for him to get to a specific spot, but he was open, albeit narrowly.  Drop the ball over his left shoulder toward the sideline, and it could have been a catch...this is something I have seen Brees do many, many times.  But that's the kind of pinpoint passing is something Cam is still working on, so it's probably a 50/50 proposition if he would have actually placed it properly.

#50 Woodie

Woodie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Obviously the narrative here again has shifted to blaming Cam. It's getting old. Against the best defense in the league, Cam is too conservative, lol what? Oh and I thought we were moving on from this game yesterday? Guess not.

That throw to Smith was not a bad decision. As someone else said, if anything, the timing was off.

No, it's not blaming Cam, but he is a young QB that sometimes relies a little too much on his best receiver.  That's very understandable since Smitty has earned his complete trust.  But I think once Cam develops a bit more and gets better at spreading the ball around, he will truly be at that elite level.

To be honest, his accuracy is fine, even if a bit imperfect, he just needs other teams to have no idea where he will go with the ball.  I think right now teams know that he tends to look to Smitty, particularly when things are breaking down, so it makes there job a little easier.  But make them worry about the other guys, and that will open things up a whole lot for us.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users