Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nosuchthingasapanther

shula responds to criticism

148 posts in this topic

i actually think my biggest criticism of the offense - aside from the obvious drops/fumbles - was the pace.

yeah, that was one of the things i was really fearing as well. the talk about how they were going to streamline the offense to get the call in quicker and the play off faster had me feeling pretty good, esp. in an era that has begun in which offenses are going no huddle/hurry up quite often and we've got to compete.

chud was horrible at getting the play in and it seemed we were constantly up against the :00 mark on the clock so i was optimistic that this time it would be better, but we were actually worse.

that slow pace was definitely a factor in us not having more possessions. we ate up the clock doing nothing and it left us with less time at the end.

i don't remember anyone saying shula was or is going to be great.

i just don't see how this game can be pinned on the play calling.

the seahawks and panthers were mirror images of each other on sunday. the difference being seattle capitalized on carolina's lack of execution.

1 person likes this

the biggest fear that i and most others who hated the shula hire was that he would manage the offense the same way he did in tampa and at alabama...slow paced, conservative, low scoring, slow to get the call to the QB, "safe"  but ultimately ineffective football.

the "rah rah" types were saying that we were just being paranoid and there's no reason to think that the offense would look the same way it did in his other two locales. the hope from his detractors was that the rah rah types were right because no one wants the offense to be ineffective.

then preseason happens and the offense looks pretty much as feared. but the rah rah types said we never look good in preseason, the offense was going to be holding things close to their chest as to what they were going to do and despite saying that the ravens game was going to be a good glimpse into what the offense would look like, it didn't look very good/prolific. but...hey, it's just preseason. wait until the first game of the season when it counts.

so we wait to see just how much shula has improved in his game management. we wait to see just how this more balanced offense would change and improve.

and what do we see when the first game of the season plays? 7 points and a poo ton of excuses about how it wasn't as bad as it looks and everything else.

for those of us who were hoping that we were wrong about a shula run offense being weak, a losing 7 point game. sorry if that just doesn't alleve any fears among those who think that the shula hire was a mistake. sorry that it didn't exactly promote confidence in us. sorry if it looks exactly like we thought it would by the results of the game.

until proven otherwise, which i hope happens, he is the same ineffective game manager that he was in tampa and bama with a lot of promises that things will be better and excuses following his trail of losses and poor showings on offense.

i hope things are better going forward. i hope that my fears are unfounded. i just haven't seen anything yet to show that they are.

Exactly. Maybe this was the best plan for for the Seahawks &... well fug, they just happened to be the first team we played & we came up short...

But this plan seems to come up with Shula a lot going by his history.

1 person likes this

We weren't mirror images of the Seahawks...

Pretty sure if our offense had put up 3 scores and 400 yards of offense, you wouldn't see this level of bitching about Shula, even if we had still lost by 5 points.

1 person likes this

The 49ers are going to struggle to get more than 7 points in Seattle, because the Seahawks are just that good.  Is that what I am supposed to believe?

The 49ers are going to struggle to get more than 7 points in Seattle, because the Seahawks are just that good.  Is that what I am supposed to believe?

...well they did only get 13 in one game against them last year in both games.

...but honestly if we'd gotten 13 despite that turnover I'd be in a VERY different mindset.  The reality, though, is that we didn't.

Personally, I didn't have a problem with the play calling, only the players execution of them. Yes there were opportunities, but there will always be opportunities, we simply have to execute the game plan. Great teams finds a way to win, right now, we are a very good team...

anybody else find it scary that our HC says that play calling needs to be less conservative and our OC says that things went according to plan, just needed better execution?  Disfunctional anyone?

If not for Seattle penalties, we would have punted on all 3 drives.

Why is that? We could not get to our own 30 with decent field position and 3 tries?

Part of the game....we aided them with penalties as well. Can't wipe away a drive bc Seattle got a penalty. We were rolling after it. DeAngelo doesn't fumble and they weren't gonna stop us then

Point is offensively we didn't have the possessions....we did fairly well if we didn't have drop for Olsen and DeAngelo fumbling. With vets like that costing us....is that really a coaching issue? Or just guys screwing up?

Gameplan was good considering how the game played out....guys didn't get it done and hurt us. There are lots of games the coaches deserved a good bashing under RR....I just don't get shifting it to them here

2 people like this

I like how it went from Ron not doing something right, to Cam not taking chances, to Shula's Offense.

Last I saw we were leading that game 7-6 until 10mins left in the game.

And when the offense moved into the red zone the Panthers lost the ball on a very good defensive play.

Were there missed opportunities? Sure as poo there were. dropped balls... Hell I dropped my head on each of Olsen's drops. Especially that long one that he just couldn't hang on to.

Now... we DID play a defense that is regarded as one better defenses in the NFL.

The plays themselves didn't seem to be executed to the level they COULD have (with the deeper passes not getting thrown much)

Cam could have not trusted either his arm, or his receivers...

I think this is a combination of all this.

Shula not calling "big plays". Cam no throwing down field due to lack of trust in something. And when he did throw the ball early to one of his trusted pass catchers and he dropped it... And nearly getting picked off by Sherman on that one pass to Smitty that looked great. but of Sherman caught that ball it was 6. no doubt.

I think Cam pulled back a bit. I think Shula went with what was working and I think Seattle's defense was pretty good.

Oh well, move'n on to Buffalo...

2 people like this

The 49ers are going to struggle to get more than 7 points in Seattle, because the Seahawks are just that good. Is that what I am supposed to believe?

SF scored

6 pts last year

and

13 in the 2nd game

They really took it to that Seahawk D last year...

1 person likes this

Why do we always seem to let our opponent dictate what we do? I am ready for the Panthers to dictate how our opponent should react. Good coaches and good teams force the hand of their opponent.

That may be the single most intelligent thing I have read on here. Hats off to you sir.