Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nosuchthingasapanther

shula responds to criticism

148 posts in this topic

That isn't true the average scoring drive in the NFL is under 39 yards.  In 2011 only 37% of all drives resulted in points regardless of field position.  From the 20 it was less than 25%.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/opinion-drive-stats-are-future-nfl-analysis

:goodjob:

dont prove people on here wrong with these "facts". they get quiet and butt-hurt when they are wrong

That isn't true the average scoring drive in the NFL is under 39 yards.  In 2011 only 37% of all drives resulted in points regardless of field position.  From the 20 it was less than 25%.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/opinion-drive-stats-are-future-nfl-analysis

Yes, those are averages.

Good offenses do it regularly.

Bad offenses do not.

Call me silly, but I prefer us to have a good offense

1 person likes this

I was encouraged by the running game and it makes me wish we had Stewart but Cam needs to hit Ginn down field. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, the game is over but from now on a guy like Ginn is key to opening up an offense like this.

They could have won yesterday regardless of Ginn's only 1 catch, but they can be even better if he gets more targets.

Worth remembering the Ravens won their first Super Bowl with a superstar defense and an anemic offense. They went through a long streak that season with no touchdowns scored, yet they managed to keep winning.

No, I don't wanna see us go that route :unsure:

why wasn't shula in cam's ear telling him that ginn was open? why wasn't he giving cam pointers on how to open things up? 

he didnt see it until he looked at the film.

The Huddle is in full panic mode. I guess it really isn't too surprising.

What I saw was a hard fought game against a good opponent that came down to who made the fewest mistakes. Of course it sucks to lose. Everybody understands that. But this is a whole different set of circumstances than opening day last year. Sure, both were losses, but this one left me encouraged while the Tampa game left me totally discouraged.

As to the 7 points, no, that's not going to get it done. Everyone understands that. If we continue to struggle with points vs Buffalo, then perhaps I'll join the chorus of those wanting Shula's head. But I saw a pretty good game plan given who we were playing and their strengths and weaknesses.

And before I am thrown into the Rivera/Shula hugger category, please know that I was calling for Rivera's head at the end of last season and did not like the Shula hire. However, last Sunday did not convince me of anything yet as far as this season goes. It is just too early, and there were plenty of things to like about what we did.

5 people like this

Yes, those are averages.

Good offenses do it regularly.

Bad offenses do not.

Call me silly, but I prefer us to have a good offense

No offense scores even half of the time from the 20 and that assumes a drive to the opposing 35 will result in a 50 yard field goal made.  That is a drive of 45 yards.  And they had the best stats in football.  The rest go down from there.  If regular is around 40% then you are correct.

Players get paid millions to execute.  I'm sick of hearing, "we just need to execute better" in pressers. Really?  I never would have figured that out.  Stop the bonehead penalties too. Mr. OC, stop rationalizing and being so self-laudatory about your great schemes.  If we are 0 and 3 at the bye, if past years are any indication, our playoff hopes are down the tubes at that point.  Ron..grow a pair and make some aggressive calls.  Shula...open the damn playbook up, and if there aren't enough plays in there to address opponent's adjustments, add some.  WR's, put some glue on your gloves, same for DWill, and you should quit running with your head down.  It will just end up in some lineman's butt like it has more than few times this season.  Barner...please get healthy and ready to run outside, but please and hold that ball so tightly you squeeze the air out of it.  Put A. Smith on the bench.  He's good for more yards lost in flags than he is yards gained in carries.  

Cam, screw Shula's calls, if you see open space, run like hell for it...and for God sakes, look for open eligible receivers with something other than 89 or 88 sewn on their jerseys.  Oh yeah, there's probably a guy named Ginn about fifty yards down field with no one within ten yards of him.  He's the one standing there waving his arms like crazy trying to attract your attention. Throw him the ball once in a while OK?  And please, oh please, teach Cam how to audible and change up plays after reading the D formation so that he is barking orders like Eli or Tom (or Luke for that matter), and give him more than ten seconds to do it.  We spend far too much time in the huddle.  What the hell are they doing for 30 seconds in there, ordering pizza?

Rant over - flame away.  Most of you hardcore football gurus will probably show me fifteen or twenty reasons why I am wrong.  But don't hand me any BS about how we played possibly the hottest team in football.  If we are going to the playoffs, much less a Superbowl, it stands to reason you have to beat each and every one of them.  On a positive note, Seattle is the only team in the league with fewer points allowed through week one.  Kudos to our defense.

1 person likes this

that's so true. I would have LOVED to lose 30-35 or 63-68, but not 7-12 no way :)

damn its annoying being the smartest person everywhere I go. makes it impossible to conversate with those slow-witted 

If we lost 30-35 or lol 63-68 after being totally blown out every preseason game on defense we'd be bitching about how bad the defense is, and with good reason...

So to sum up, a lot of people were concerned that based on his history, Shula was not the best hire out there, and would be too conservative.  I'm included in that number, for what it's worth.  And since the hire, our concerns were more or less shouted down by those that know better, who insisted that he's learned a lot, continuity would be good, he's never had a QB like Cam, this time it would be different, etc...

In the pre-season, we did virtually nothing on offense.  And the concerns were raised again.  And they were shouted down again, with lots of statements about how we weren't going to give anything away, that our playbook was being kept under wraps.

So now we've played a game.  It was very conservative on offense.  The plays looked a lot like what we saw in the pre-season.  And we eked out a grand total of 7 points, somehow limiting our previously prolific QB to 125 yards passing.

I dunno, smells like execution problems to me.  Good thing that all of those people who know better are here to tell me how great a game Shula actually called, or I might think he was too conservative or something...

2 people like this