4 replies to this topic

#1 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

The service for my granddad was today. He was given final honors by the USAF Honor Gaurd, and everyone decided that I should be the one presented with the flag that was draped over his coffin. I want to display it in the best way possible, but I'm a little torn over what the display should say. I don't know if I would rather have it display the year he was born and the year he died or the years that he was in service. I can't go off of what I think he would have rather had displayed, because he would have chosen neither (just who he was). I also don't think there will be space to show both.

So if I could ask the military folks around here....which would you rather have shown in that scenario?

#2 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 9,778 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Really it's up to you. It seems the display is there to celebrate his service.

But if he's like me, I would want my family to remember my entire life over my years in the military.

#3 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 11,973 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:03 AM

I would say years he lived. 

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 5,425 posts
  • LocationAlmost where I want to be...

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

Typically, since the flag represents his service to the country a shadow box nameplate or engraving would normally have his dates of service:

(Rank) John A. Smith

United States Air Force

1942-1950

Here are but a couple examples of the proper shadowbox display of the flag:

lavin-shadow-box1.jpg

flagcase.jpg

1flag-shadow-box.jpg

There are several companies that build these professionally, but you can also purchase them empty and have a reputable picture framer put them together for you.

I have a couple flags presented to me for things I put in the simple triangle shadowbox with a simple brass plate engraved with the information on where, when and what for and attached to the base.

#5 TruCatzFan

TruCatzFan

Phil 4:13

• HUDDLER
  • 6,470 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

Typically, since the flag represents his service to the country a shadow box nameplate or engraving would normally have his dates of service:

(Rank) John A. Smith
United States Air Force
1942-1950

Here are but a couple examples of the proper shadowbox display of the flag:
lavin-shadow-box1.jpg

flagcase.jpg

1flag-shadow-box.jpg

There are several companies that build these professionally, but you can also purchase them empty and have a reputable picture framer put them together for you.

I have a couple flags presented to me for things I put in the simple triangle shadowbox with a simple brass plate engraved with the information on where, when and what for and attached to the base.

^ That post is perfect. You can always put a "RIP plate" on the back side with maybe the date of his funeral service. Just for you, and you'll always know its there. Maybe even a phrase he used often to remember the good times.

Also,very sorry to hear for your loss. I have great admiration and respect for ALL those who served before me. I go out of my way to talk to the old guys with vet hats on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.