Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Worth remembering...

40 posts in this topic

I agree with you. It will take time. I actually like this new approach. Balanced attack is needed. We have all these RBs, why not use them? One thing I did like about the game is Cam took care of the ball. Was he alittle too timid? Maybe. But he didn't turn the ball over. I'm looking forward to sunday

1 person likes this

And if it wasnt of dropped passed and fumbles....we would have moved the ball very efficiently on a good D.

Not sure why this is spun as a playcalling problem. Was clearly a player issue on Sunday

Newton completing 69% (76% had Olsen not brought his butterfingers to gameday) of his passes and The Seattle secondary admitting 'complications' in deciphering the playcalling has me joining the bandwagon.

1 person likes this

All I can say is I need to see it before I can believe. I want to give Shula the benefit of the doubt and that he can change his conservative ways, but he has 3 seasons worth of NFL OC data and his offenses ranked bottom 10 every year (2 years at 30th in passing). And then Newton goes out and puts out a career low passing yardage total (I realize the Seattle D is good and there were some drops). 

I keep thinking of the Einstein quote about insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I need to SEE different results for my opinion to change.

Norv is calling plays, right?

From what I've heard.

Norv was usually better at having some semblance of offensive balance.

I don't understand how we're supposedly going with "consistency" when we promoted Shula, then the offense is totally different. Boggles the mind. Sounds like another Rivera excuse.

1 person likes this

I don't understand how we're supposedly going with "consistency" when we promoted Shula, then the offense is totally different. Boggles the mind. Sounds like another Rivera excuse.

"Continuity", not "consistency".

Offense isn't totally different though. We're using the same play book, just more conservatively.

Maybe they're telling Cam that he needs to be conservative and just not turn the ball over because the defense is beast mode and will win us more games than not so long as we don't give the other team extra possessions like we did last Sunday.

Maybe they're telling Cam that he needs to be conservative and just not turn the ball over because the defense is beast mode and will win us more games than not so long as we don't give the other team extra possessions like we did last Sunday.

That would worry me. Like everything in life it's all about balance.

I don't think it's that, honestly.

To be truthful, I just think it's the transition to a slightly different system under a new OC.  Takes everyone a little time, and heck when was the last time Newton's OC wasn't a revolving door?  He gets the same guy two years in a row and then 'poof', he's gone and we're starting fresh again.

It's reasonable to expect a little bit of transition.  But since he's generally been a fast learner as a pro, this week, who knows?