* * - - - 1 votes

Carolina style bbq or buffalo wings?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

Sounds a little strange but I did applewood smoked king crab legs. 6 hours at 185 degrees. The shells crumbled like an eggshell. A little spicy garlic butter and a rack of 22 hour smoked ribs. That's Southern surf n turf.

#42 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationRaleigh
HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Sounds a little strange but I did applewood smoked king crab legs. 6 hours at 185 degrees. The shells crumbled like an eggshell. A little spicy garlic butter and a rack of 22 hour smoked ribs. That's Southern surf n turf.

Interesting...but how the hell did you not overcook the crab? Shells crumbling like eggshells, no way it wasn't overcooked, right? 

#43 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

ribs at 22 hours? good lawd.

#44 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• Locationunder an aluminum hat
HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Smokey's on 54 by the RDU airport.

Hands down best eastern Nc style BBQ.

#45 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• LocationOn a Sales Call
HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

22 hour ribs? Dang son. I did two racks last weekend for 5 hours and the bones slid right out. Used applewood and rubbed them with homemade Memphis Dust. Pan of apple juice for moisture.

#46 SCP

SCP

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

Nothing cooks better than the BGE! My friends converted me last year from a gas grille.

I'll put my Wilmington Grill up against anything. http://www.wilmingtongrill.com

I use a smoker for smoking, but for grilling the Wilmington Grill is the best poo I've ever owned.

#47 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

I'll put my Wilmington Grill up against anything. http://www.wilmingtongrill.com

I use a smoker for smoking, but for grilling the Wilmington Grill is the best poo I've ever owned.

gas grille?

Talk_to_the_hand.jpg

#48 SCP

SCP

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

gas grille?

Talk_to_the_hand.jpg

Yes sir. I don't mess with charcoal anymore. Last night while drunk I grilled fish, chicken, steak, burgers, chicken/steak kabobs, asparagus, corn, and zucchini on the same surface to perfection.

#49 SmokinwithWilly

SmokinwithWilly

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

22 hour ribs? Dang son. I did two racks last weekend for 5 hours and the bones slid right out. Used applewood and rubbed them with homemade Memphis Dust. Pan of apple juice for moisture.

Yeah. I do super slow cook on them. The baby backs I get are usually 3 inches thick so it takes a little longer. Also, I alternate basting and then doing my own 4 layer dry rub in between each basting. Also inject with apple cider to keep them moist. I end up with about a quarter inch bark on the outside but since that's my favorite part I'm not one to complain about the time it takes to make it.

#50 solorca

solorca

Eric Shelton Superfan.

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

What kind of BBQ?  Lexington style?  Eastern Carolina style?  Western Carolina style?  What kind of Buffalo wings?  Why not put Wecks up there?  I'd take a Weck over both. 

God yes.  I took a business trip to Buffalo a few years back and while I wasn't that impressed with the wings...we tried a number of highly recommended places, and while they were good, it wasn't anything that impressive.  The Beef on Weck though?  Oh my God.  Absolutely fantastic, and something I crave to this day.

I'd take it over my favorite local BBQ place any day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users