Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ron Rivera......before we knew

43 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah. I agree. But I am waiting to see how this season turns out before I completely turn on him.

There is actually a couple things that I am not sold on yet either. But we have improved his first two seasons after that disastrous 2010 season. Some of that is Cam for sure as well, but if we go backward this season it is time to move on.

But I am going to give him more than one game against a strong opponent before I give up on him this season.

This is the NFL and it's 2013. It doesn't take 3 years to build Rome. The 2010 team was not 2-14 bad. It was brought down by terrible decisions from management on down. A losing season last year was pretty much unacceptable and if it's repeated this year the guy is absolutely gone.

EdIt: And Jimmy Clausen. The overall talent level of the roster was not 2-14 bad.

Posted

BTW inb4 proudiddy comes in and destroys me on this :lol:

Posted

Yeah. I agree. But I am waiting to see how this season turns out before I completely turn on him.

There is actually a couple things that I am not sold on yet either. But we have improved his first two seasons after that disastrous 2010 season. Some of that is Cam for sure as well, but if we go backward this season it is time to move on.

But I am going to give him more than one game against a strong opponent before I give up on him this season.

I think this is how most of us feel. This is it. I am excited about Gettleman though. I really like what he has done so far. If we go back to rebuild mode, I'm glad it's him making the calls. Question: how often do teams have success when a new GM keeps an old head coach?

Posted

7-9 is 7-9. That's like a Fox down year. We are ready for the playoffs. Cam brought back life to this dead franchise. We can't waste it with 7-9. I understand it's a process. But come on, this is year three. It's time for results.

Why do panthers have to settle for mediocrity going on year three when other teams can win instantly?

Because of the sisyphean belief that he will lead us to success this year

Posted

I don't think Rivera is HC material. His conservatism and game management IQ makes it difficult for me to like him as our coach. Having said that, I adore Ron -- the man, the player, the defensive coordinator. In all seriousness, why would anyone hate Rivera? He's like Wade Phillips (down-to-earth coaches that geninuely care about the players). Cam, Smitty, Beason, D-Will, Davis, Hardy, Tolbert, J-Stew, Gross, Johnson, J. Thomas, Olsen, Kalil, Kuechly, LaFell, etc all fought to keep Ron as their Head Coach. Not one player on our squad threw him under the bus. That speaks volumes to the type of guy he is off and on the field.

Posted

I love that Ron Rivera.... Week 2 is an important game.

Posted

I feel like we have seen a ton of improvement from rivera. I remember how many times we shot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties and how sloppy we looked the first year. Our special teams was awful and rivera was making terrible game time decisions. He seems like hes getting better during the game despite a couple questionable 4th and short calls.. at least he's not calling timeouts so the other team has to to kick the field goal anymore. The team plays hard for him and he has them looking sharp.

Posted

Two losing seasons isn't enough for you? I promise more of us will get behind him if he starts winning. Then we will be like one big happy family. I might even buy you a beer at a game.

Two losing seasons with enough close game losses to make us potential division winners both years. And simply firing him wouldn't improve on that.

Posted

He actually seemed more confident then than he does now to me.

At first glance yes but imo back then his demanor seemed forced like he was trying too hard, he seems more wise now and just more natural.

Posted

Ron is no idiot either. He publicly expressed his inexperience (i.e. admitting he should have hired a staff with more flyer miles). Shame he came to this realization two years into his tenure. Nonetheless, I'm pulling for RIvera. There are many qualities about him that would benefit us down the road if he can just pull it all together.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yet despite all those shortcomings he has taken a 2-14 team and brought us to 7-9.

I agree with game management criticisms entirely and it may be the thing that gets him fired, but he hasn't been terrible by any means overall.

To be fair Cam had a lot to do with that.  You put a great QB on a mediocre team and thats good for 4-5 wins every year.

But a great coach can push that team even further.  Rivera is just not a good head coach, that's not hate that just reality.  

You can say what you want about fumbles and players making mistakes but eventually someone has to be held accountable for all the loses we have sustained the last few years.  Rivera is responsible.  This team never seems ready, never seems focused, and always seems to get out coached.

Posted

Two losing seasons with enough close game losses to make us potential division winners both years. And simply firing him wouldn't improve on that.

lol most of the losses that kept us from attaining that were his fault. poor preparation of the players on the roster resulting in petty mistakes that would be easily fixed by good coaching, poor game planning, consistent utterly stupid game management decisions,