Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

If we go 7-9 or 6-10 how would you feel about keeping Rivera if..

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hell NO to McD!

#32 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,602 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Yep. One of those situations where you don't know who the real mastermind is. Same question applies to Greg Roman, honestly.

My personal opinion: I don't think McDermott's ready to be in charge of an entire program.

Agreed.  Buddy Ryan wasn't ready either.

McDermott spent a lot of years under the great Jim Johnson, he'll do.

I won't disagree about Johnson but the examples of how coaching trees have many dead branches go on forever.  I like Mac but I am convinced that at minimum, this defense is heavily influenced by Chico. 

And before anyone says anything, I don't give a damn if you like the nickname Chico or not.  Ron has gone on record as liking it.

#33 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:58 PM

You must dont know about his work in Philly, he is far from Jim Johnson...it's Riveras defense

Reid fired him as a scapegoat to save his own ass.  That Philly D got bit hard by the injury bug that year.  Now, I'm not saying the McD is JJ by any means, but he didn't get a fair shot in Philly and Reid didn't really want to fire him.

#34 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,392 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

Reid fired him as a scapegoat to save his own ass. That Philly D got bit hard by the injury bug that year. Now, I'm not saying the McD is JJ by any means, but he didn't get a fair shot in Philly and Reid didn't really want to fire him.

And replaced him with an O-Line coach :wacko:

I like to think that if he had it to do over, Reid might rethink that plan :lol:

#35 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

For many of you, McDermott is in a no win situation.

If the D plays well, you give the credit to Rivera. If the D sucks, it's McDermott holding us back.

All I know is the D players seem to respect him. Between McDermott, Wilkes and Washington we have a damn good defensive staff, and I don't think we should attribute it's success to Rivera and totally negate the efforts of our other defensive coaches.

#36 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Negative. Three years is enough time to get to 9-7.

#37 Qu1million

Qu1million

CantBeatMeInMadden!

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Reid fired him as a scapegoat to save his own ass. That Philly D got bit hard by the injury bug that year. Now, I'm not saying the McD is JJ by any means, but he didn't get a fair shot in Philly and Reid didn't really want to fire him.

Nor did he really want to fire Castillio and Castillo was Andy's first scapegoat because he knew he messed up giving him the job when he wasn't even close to qualify as a DC...but McD, he was really fuggin up like he was doing his first year in Charlotte until Rivera saved him

#38 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,602 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

For many of you, McDermott is in a no win situation.

If the D plays well, you give the credit to Rivera. If the D sucks, it's McDermott holding us back.

All I know is the D players seem to respect him. Between McDermott, Wilkes and Washington we have a damn good defensive staff, and I don't think we should attribute it's success to Rivera and totally negate the efforts of our other defensive coaches.

Without getting into a pissing contest, name one coach in this present regime, other than Chud,  this team hasn't seemed to respect.  (And for what it is worth, they didn't say poo till he left)

The last person I ask about horse racing......is the damn horse.

I respect you Marguide, but I disagree.  MacD is in a no lose situation. 

Rivera loses his job if the D is top 2 but we don't go to the dance. 

If we are in the top 15 (easily accomplished) Sean gets consideration from multiples regardless of record.

#39 andrew67

andrew67

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

What the OP does not realize is that if you look at the top 5 defenses last season ranked in points per game. The worst record was the Chicago Bears at 10-6. In order for this team to be 6-10 or 7-9, they have to play horrendously bad on offense. Last year we averaged 22.3 pts/game, in order to become a top 5 defense we will only be able to allow 17pts/game average. That should be enough to keep our record over .500. If not, that means that the offense would have vastly deteriorated from last year and shula would not have been even a replacement to chud must less an improvement as the players such as smitty have eluded to. The person who hired him should be fired.

I am making a prediction here. I really hope that it doesn't come down to this but shula has to prove it this week. It is time to put up or shut up. If shula cannot put up at least 20 points on offense against the bills, then this is going to be a long season, as in we will be below .500 and at least rivera and shula will both be fired and Gettleman will hire someone new. If we can put up at least 30 points on offense against the bills then we are playoff bound.

#40 bigskypanthersguy

bigskypanthersguy

Prowl, Cats, Prowl.

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

What the OP does not realize is that if you look at the top 5 defenses last season ranked in points per game. The worst record was the Chicago Bears at 10-6. In order for this team to be 6-10 or 7-9, they have to play horrendously bad on offense. Last year we averaged 22.3 pts/game, in order to become a top 5 defense we will only be able to allow 17pts/game average. That should be enough to keep our record over .500. If not, that means that the offense would have vastly deteriorated from last year and shula would not have been even a replacement to chud must less an improvement as the players such as smitty have eluded to. The person who hired him should be fired.

I am making a prediction here. I really hope that it doesn't come down to this but shula has to prove it this week. It is time to put up or shut up. If shula cannot put up at least 20 points on offense against the bills, then this is going to be a long season, as in we will be below .500 and at least rivera and shula will both be fired and Gettleman will hire someone new. If we can put up at least 30 points on offense against the bills then we are playoff bound.

shula should be left in buffalo if we put up 7 again

#41 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

Plus our offense I think is going to be fine.

I agree--the offense has already displayed its ability to run.  That is the foundation.  We will add Barner to the mix and, hopefully, Shula uses Tolbert better.  WR?  we are OK now, and the draft (yes, I peeked) looks loaded at WR for 2014.  Feeling good about the future.

#42 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:35 AM

Didnt know that about Kubiak in the Texans I always wondered why he hung around so long. Props for that

#43 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:12 AM

We must win ten games or he needs to be gone.

#44 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:17 AM

I am 100 times more confident in Gettleman choosing a head coach than Hurney.

#45 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Agreed.  Gman won't play.  If the team does not make playoffs, Rivera is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com