70 replies to this topic

#46 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

How about force the bills to try to stop us from getting a first frigging down first?

because it'll be harder for them to beat us systematically if we did that.

#47 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Rivera is the wrong type of coach for us. We need an offensive coach first and foremost.

#48 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Rivera is the wrong type of coach for us. We need an offensive coach first and foremost.

I find Rivera's coaching offensive.

#49 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sadly as soon as we went up by 6 I had a feeling we would lose by 1. Leave it to a RR led team to let a rookie QB drive 80 yards with no timeouts for a game winning TD. SMH

After 3rd down my brother and I both said immediately "go for it."  Rivera did not, we lost.  Of course, nobody can really fault him for it.  Most nobody, at least not someone who reached HC in the NFL would have gone for the win there.  My question is, who here would have?  With our track record in close games, I would have in a heart beat.  Get beat trying to win dammit.

I understand why 95% of people would not have and also why Rivera did not.  Rivera coahces by the book, but as with many cases, I feel the book is wrong.  Winning by 1-2, of course, kick the FG so a FG does not beat you.  Winning by three, with Cam at QB, I am going for the win.

This is not something I am critical of Rivera over (there are plenty of other reasons) because even Belicheck would likely have kicked a FG, but I would love to have a coach that would take a chance from time to time.

#50 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

How many times did we let them get out of bounds on that last drive?

Also it didn't help, that the refs ruled that one pass to the back out the backfield an incompletion, which stopped the clock.

Either way, fuq Ron, I want his head.

#51 Evil Hurney

Evil Hurney

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

After 3rd down my brother and I both said immediately "go for it."  Rivera did not, we lost.  Of course, nobody can really fault him for it.  Most nobody, at least not someone who reached HC in the NFL would have gone for the win there.  My question is, who here would have?  With our track record in close games, I would have in a heart beat.  Get beat trying to win dammit.

I understand why 95% of people would not have and also why Rivera did not.  Rivera coahces by the book, but as with many cases, I feel the book is wrong.  Winning by 1-2, of course, kick the FG so a FG does not beat you.  Winning by three, with Cam at QB, I am going for the win.

This is not something I am critical of Rivera over (there are plenty of other reasons) because even Belicheck would likely have kicked a FG, but I would love to have a coach that would take a chance from time to time.

Was thinking the same thing. 4th and short...first down ices the game...have one of the biggest QBs in football...should be almost a gimme

#52 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Jim Harbaugh just had a 4th and 3 at the Seahawks goal line down 12-0 in a tight game. What did he do with the only QB with Cam's physical stature and the best o-line in the NFL? He kicked the FG.

But he's still brilliant and fiery, am I right guiz?

#53 Toolbox

Toolbox

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,654 posts
  • Locationnc

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Jim Harbaugh just had a 4th and 3 at the Seahawks goal line down 12-0 in a tight game. What did he do with the only QB with Cam's physical stature and the best o-line in the NFL? He kicked the FG.

4th and 3 is worlds apart from 4th and 1 and 4th and inches.. come on man.

#54 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Only idiots don't take the points. If you want to bitch about the playcalling that put us in position to have a 4th down to attempt, then go right ahead. But in that situation, you put your defense on the field with the points. Any other answer is that you're an idiot that doesn't understand football.

Point out literally ANY other call in the game and you'd have a leg to stand on here. That was one call that was simply a no brainer. You turn the ball over on 4th down and give the ball back to the opposition only down a field goal? You'd never work in the NFL again.

The playcalling on both sides of the ball in the last two minutes of the game lost us the game. It's just that simple. Not converting drives where we turned the ball over in their territory into 7 points on each occasion cost us the game. The 7 play 7 yard drive that lead to a field goal cost us the game.

But ONE THING that did not cost us the game? Choosing to take the points in that situation.

#55 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,375 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

4th and 3 isn't 4th and 1..... and Kapernick isn't a tank getting pile moving monster like Cam

#56 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

4th and 3 is worlds apart from 4th and 1 and 4th and inches.. come on man.

And 4th and goal is worlds apart from the 15.

#57 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,375 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Only idiots don't take the points. If you want to bitch about the playcalling that put us in position to have a 4th down to attempt, then go right ahead. But in that situation, you put your defense on the field with the points. Any other answer is that you're an idiot that doesn't understand football.

Point out literally ANY other call in the game and you'd have a leg to stand on here. That was one call that was simply a no brainer. You turn the ball over on 4th down and give the ball back to the opposition only down a field goal? You'd never work in the NFL again.

The playcalling on both sides of the ball in the last two minutes of the game lost us the game. It's just that simple. Not converting drives where we turned the ball over in their territory into 7 points on each occasion cost us the game. The 7 play 7 yard drive that lead to a field goal cost us the game.

But ONE THING that did not cost us the game? Choosing to take the points in that situation.

That wasnt about pts though.

Was about ending a game.....or giving them a shot to win against the league's worst secondary.

1 yard ends the game.

#58 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:51 PM

4th and 3 isn't 4th and 1..... and Kapernick isn't a tank getting pile moving monster like Cam

If idiots on this board will say Harbaugh would have made that call and now makes excuses when he literally does not, then this fanbase is dumber than I thought.

#59 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,375 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

If idiots on this board will say Harbaugh would have made that call and now makes excuses when he literally does not, then this fanbase is dumber than I thought.

He hasn't been confronted with picking up 1 yard to end a game....

#60 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

He hasn't been confronted with picking up 1 yard to end a game....

Yeah he did. In the Super Bowl. And called 3 straight passes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com