79 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Lets all feign disgust and sorrow and then be completely apathetic in resolving this ongoing issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

If only some of those police officers and military personnel were armed this would not have happened.

#3 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

The number of people shot keeps growing.  Now up to 10 and fatalities reported.

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Be interesting to learn how the weapon got inside. I've been to the Navy Yard and the security there is pretty fugging tight.

This isn't the Navy in the sense we all know it, this place is full of civilian engineering types, electrical, mechanical engineers, naval architects, budget analysts... the vast majority is civilian, not military. 

#5 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Fwiw, few if any of the military personnel at the Navy Yard would be armed. Only those that are responsible for security would be armed.  People that live on base might be allowed to own weapons in their living quarters, but they wouldn't be allowed to walk around the base with them.

Reports are saying their might be two shooters.  If that is the case, the investigators would have to at least consider the possibility of terrorism. If it is terrorism, then the pro or anti gun control arguments would be irrelevant. 

#6 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's not really a base as much as it is an office complex with security entrances and gates. There are some private homes in the area as well as the Nats stadium, which is practically across the street. The Marine Barracks which houses the memorial guards for the monuments, Arlington, White House and a few other places is very close by as well. 

I have an uncle who retired from there last year, worked on the top floor of Bldg. 197 as a naval architect (he designed ships). He still frequents the place to have lunch with his buddies and he said he's spoken to some of his friends who got out.

Apparently, the shooter was targeting specific individuals from what he was told.

#7 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

If that is the case, the investigators would have to at least consider the possibility of terrorism. If it is terrorism, then the pro or anti gun control arguments would be irrelevant. 

Eh to the pro gun people it's always irrelevant. 22 kids are killed and somehow the people who are trying to prevent it from happening again are "using the victims" as propaganda.  

It's never an appropriate time to talk about gun control. 

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

Eh to the pro gun people it's always irrelevant. 22 kids are killed and somehow the people who are trying to prevent it from happening again are "using the victims" as propaganda.  

It's never an appropriate time to talk about gun control. 

If you are assuming I am against gun control, you are incorrect.  Although I do believe that there is a significant possibility that outlawing guns might have the same level of success as prohibition did.  

But if it is terrorism, then its likely that terrorist would be able to get access to guns regardless of any restrictions. 

#9 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

If you are assuming I am against gun control, you are incorrect.  Although I do believe that there is a significant possibility that outlawing guns might have the same level of success as prohibition did.  

But if it is terrorism, then its likely that terrorist would be able to get access to guns regardless of any restrictions. 

No I'm just saying it seems it's always a bad time to have a gun control debate.

#10 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

No I'm just saying it seems it's always a bad time to have a gun control debate.

Not long after the Connecticut tragedy last year, the polls were showing about an 80% approval rate favoring more gun control in the form of deeper background checks, Unfortunately, the President didn't push hard enough and the Repubtard Congress obliged by not even offering up a bill of any sort.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,625 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Not long after the Connecticut tragedy last year, the polls were showing about an 80% approval rate favoring more gun control in the form of deeper background checks, Unfortunately, the President didn't push hard enough and the Repubtard Congress obliged by not even offering up a bill of any sort.

Feel free to have the debate at any point your heart desires.  :)

Its just to early to tell if this specific incident is relevant to the gun control debate. 

#12 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Feel free to have the debate at any point your heart desires.  :)

Its just to early to tell if this specific incident is relevant to the gun control debate. 

In my mind, nothing to debate, really. It's a background check. And it's very difficult to have an intelligent discussion with an ill-informed and/or misinformed gun lover who has some preconceived notion that "Obama wants to take my guns..."

And you're right about your second statement.

#13 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

poo is getting a little ridiculous...I hope the injured pull through.

#14 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm just waiting for the shooters to be muslim or black or something so that I can comment

#15 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Shooter among the 12 dead per CNN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com