• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

Historically it has been assumed that we sign Cam to a lucrative extension as soon as the bargaining agreement allows it. I believe this would be at the end of this season, so around February?

With Gettleman here and Rivera potentially gone things could be a little different. I assume we would still keep sign a new contract, it just wouldn't be as big as we all thought unless he rebounds this year. I can't imagine we want him testing free agency no matter how he does. I can't recall the last time a franchise QB wasn't locked up ASAP.

Or do we let him ride out his contract before doing anything?

#2 Former Bill On Vacation

Former Bill On Vacation

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I cant see Newton in any position to demand some sort of huge salary if he plays out the rest of the season like he has started it.

#3 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Gettlemen will hire a HC....then after that.....we will find out Newton's fate.

I don't see a contract for Newton until after the new HC gets started. New HCs get their guy at QB....he may not want Newton.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,408 posts

do it while we have a losing record and right before a new coach is hired that turns this team around and knows how to get the most out of cam.

hopefully it's cheaper to do it that way.

#5 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think it's a good time to ink him. He won't command elite money. He will get better.

#6 cbully

cbully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

all i can say is the RR circus does not make Cam look good. they don't know how to really use him.

#7 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I cant see Newton in any position to demand some sort of huge salary if he plays out the rest of the season like he has started it.

Newton will still be off to historical offensive production 3 years into a NFL career....

Only thing he doesn't have is wins in the win column. Team sport. His offensive production is still at a historical pace....

That gets overlooked in the national media. They simply focus on the losses.....not why he has so few wins

#8 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I think Cam will wait. It wont be made public(or maybe it will), but I don't see him wanting to sign anything long term in such a shaky situation. The smart thing for both sides will be to wait. 

I personally think Cam IS the answer at QB, but I'm not sure Gettleman does. JR said Cam would be his last QB so it will be interesting to see what happens.

#9 camtheone

camtheone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

JR will not let Cam go....He loves him and hell I love him as a QB....we just need the right OC and HC for him....RR is not the answer and neither is Shula.....for sure not Shula....

#10 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,304 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

It amazes me to see Harbaugh turn Kaepernick into 'The Greatest QB in the making..." (via Jaws and ESPN) yet Rivera and Shula don't know how to find exploit his gifts.

#11 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Cam, I hope, would not be dumb enough to even entertain an extension or anything else until he's a free agent. Let's not forget that he was the victim of the new rookie contract structure and will make more money in his second contract.

That being said, the guy wants to win and this team shows little desire to build a winning attitude, a winning tradition and a winning team. Cam is in the driver's seat here, the Panthers have to provide all the reasons for him to stay.

#12 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

hmm Cam demanding a trade play into DG's plan?  Get his QB and his HC?  by Cam demanding a trade, the organization still saves face with the fans as opposed to just trading him themselves. kinda crazy but not unthinkable.

#13 gmonjimbo

gmonjimbo

• ALL-PRO
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think they should wait for his rookie deal to run out. Use that money to get pieces around him. Trade Greg Hardy or let him walk. I think Cam will take less money to stay on a team that will compete for a Super Bowl year to year.

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,967 posts

Why would Cam want to stay

#15 Jbo

Jbo

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Cam is in his third year of a four year contract with a team option for a fifth year. So that leaves two years on the contract plus at least one year with a franchise tag. The team is sitting on at least another year or two before they really need to get a deal done. I think unless they agree upon a really good deal for the team we wont see a deal done this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com