• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

If the Panthers have a chance to win on Sunday against the New York Giants, it is going to be on the shoulder pads of the Panthers offense.

Posted Image

That's right gentlemen, you're up.

For two weeks the Panthers have been kept in the game due to the play of the Panthers defense. Against Seattle, they allowed only 12 points. In Buffalo, they provided two key turnovers that resulted in 6 gift wrapped points (should have been 14 points given the excellent field position).

This week, it is time for the Panthers offense to take control and win a game. With key injuries in the Panthers defensive secondary, it is a forgone conclusion that Eli Manning and the New York Giants will score points.

Lots of points.

The good news, however, is that the Giants have also given up at least 36 points in both of their games this season. They are dead last in the league in points allowed at 38.5 a game.

The Panthers offense is healthy. They are now in the third year of the same system (OC Mike Shula was hired solely on the continuity of that system).

There are no excuses. The Panthers should score 30+.

The road to victory will hinge on the following:

1. Right Tackle Byron Bell needs help. Bell had arguably his worst game as a pro against Buffalo. He will need help when facings Giants DE Justin Tuck this weekend. The Panthers can help Bell by chipping Tuck with Greg Olsen or Mike Tolbert. They may also want to consider moving Cam out of the pocket to buy time on passing downs. It is completely obvious that Bell is going to need help, failing to provide him with any this Sunday will be unacceptable.

2. Cam Newton must improve is accuracy while under pressure. This is where good quarterbacks become great quarterbacks. Last week Cam Newton's completion percentage dropped to 36.4 when under pressure. Russell Wilson has a 50% completion rating when under pressure. Eli Manning also completes 50% of his passes while under pressure. If Cam Newton wants to be considered a great QB, he must do so when under pressure.

3. Cam must run. Because of the NFL's new rule that allows harder hitting of a QB while running, Carolina has grounded Cam Newton's rushing attack. While it is a good idea to keep Cam healthy, I feel they have taken it to far. This season Cam has had ample room to run for 5-10 yards and safely and slide, but has chosen not to. Newton has a knack for getting down before a hit and avoiding injury, unlike RGIII. Let Cam run the ball, this will go a long way into pulling linebackers in and opening up passing lanes.

4. Speed it up Shula. This is the second week in a row I have called for the Panthers to speed up the offense. Efficiency is at its highest when Cam can call his own plays at the line and move the chains. This Sunday, the Panthers must go into a hurry up mode and keep the Giants defense winded. New York will most likely score quickly. The Panthers need to match them score for score.

Click here to view the article

#2 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

it's too early to act desperate.

or something....

#3 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

Against the Giants, it would be a great time to change the momentum of the season before the bye...

I'd love to see our Offense make some strides!

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

cam absolutely needs  to be cut loose (not from the team...just the fence confining him be taken down..

in the team and his desire to become a more efficient passer he's become less of a difference maker. 

if we are going to score a lot of points, he's gonna have to return to being a dynamo.

#5 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

I think Cam needs to combine his last 2 games. A great short passim g game with shots downfield. It makes safeties play deeper and opens up the ground game which makes play action work which opens up the seams and longer routes. Agree on the 30 points.
Eli has also thrown 7 picks in the first 2 games. I would love to get 3-4 more.

#6 mjligon

mjligon

@mleezy53

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Why can't I get excited for this game?

#7 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:12 AM

Maybe you should put the offense "on notice".

#8 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Eli has also thrown 7 picks in the first 2 games. I would love to get 3-4 more.

With how our secondary is shaping up, I think I will be satisfied with 3-4 Eli incompletions

#9 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

With how our secondary is shaping up, I think I will be satisfied with 3-4 Eli incompletions

Eli cant throw laying on his back. the front four need to step up. this game will be in their hands.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,722 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Godfrey was a big blow but most of the backups got starting experience last year. I have not been impressed with Thomas at all and Norman seems to have reverted to playing 10 yards behind receivers. I am not sure if the backups are worse then the starters.
Problem is that the more I just posted the more you might be right.

#11 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,332 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Zod has many valid points.  We'll see if they choose to implement the totally obvious things we're seeing.

#12 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

I'm ready for this game. One team we end the day at 0-3. I believe we will win. It's time for the offense to return to form. Unleash cam!

#13 Former Bill On Vacation

Former Bill On Vacation

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Need a red zone offense that is worth a damn.  Too many times the close confines of defenders stymie Newton and your offense.  Without a great red zone offense your defensive take aways are only worth half as much as they could be and that isnt enough to win games

#14 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

If we can't beat the bills I really doubt we beat the Giants. Its going to be close because of talent but they are still the better team.

#15 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,799 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Rivera spent time building up the Defense and Hurney and Gettleman helped him out with their drafting. Now that the defense can't close out a game everyone wants the offense to save them.

Maybe if you would have gotten Cam some damn help they wouldn't be in that situation. I hate to pull the Hopkins card because Star has played so well but damnit he ain't looking to bad over there himself.

I don't expect poo from this offense to be honest with you. They ignored the offensive line all season. Hyped up Armanti Edwards and brought in Hixon to be the 3rd WR and all both of them do is stand on the sideline. We don't have another legitimate receiving te. Lafell is so bad that a washed up Ginn has outshined him.

So you got a young qb with a staff that doesn't know how to use him or develop him.

A suspect offensive line

A 5'9 34 year old wr is your best option in the passing game and by the way he had a first down drop against the bills in case you missed it.

No Jonathan Stewart or Barner so no Zod they aren't at full strength.

Mike Shula is the Oc and fuging Ken Dorsey is your qb coach.

The first top three picks of the last two years were all defense.

The offense should not be expected to win a shoot out or win games for this team because nothing was done to make that happen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com