• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#106 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

Read from an interesting article a few weeks ago to what we are probably going to do:

Resign Cam this off season, we can't afford to option him and don't want to risk waiting until his contract has expired at the end of next year. We sign him to a contract that is light this year and next at around 3M guaranteed but give him a huge signing bonus that we can amortize across 10 years or so. So essentially he would make more money the next two years than his guaranteed with that signing bonus but we get I save on the cap space. This would save us 3-4M in cap space this year and we have a resigned Cam.

Restructure to free up another 5-8M. Frankly the players know the situation and have all talked about how they all want to stay together, use that along with some under performed players to restructure and free up some more.

All of a sudden our 20M looks more like 30M for next year. Beason's Dead money expires next year so most of that will be used to resign Keech. We have Cam resigned and a plan for Keech.

Resign the bold players or those similar for 16M
5M for the draft
You are left with 5-9M to sign the other 5-10 players in FA

The problem is we are left with a lot of 1 year deals like we are this year but 90% of the team is back, but I think we are looking at 10-15 1 yr players instead on 21 and we have Cam resigned.

#107 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Read from an interesting article a few weeks ago to what we are probably going to do:

Resign Cam this off season, we can't afford to option him and don't want to risk waiting until his contract has expired at the end of next year. We sign him to a contract that is light this year and next at around 3M guaranteed but give him a huge signing bonus that we can amortize across 10 years or so. So essentially he would make more money the next two years than his guaranteed with that signing bonus but we get I save on the cap space. This would save us 3-4M in cap space this year and we have a resigned Cam.

Restructure to free up another 5-8M. Frankly the players know the situation and have all talked about how they all want to stay together, use that along with some under performed players to restructure and free up some more.

All of a sudden our 20M looks more like 30M for next year. Beason's Dead money expires next year so most of that will be used to resign Keech. We have Cam resigned and a plan for Keech.

Resign the bold players or those similar for 16M
5M for the draft
You are left with 5-9M to sign the other 5-10 players in FA

The problem is we are left with a lot of 1 year deals like we are this year but 90% of the team is back, but I think we are looking at 10-15 1 yr players instead on 21 and we have Cam resigned.

Good stuff. got a link to that article?

#108 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I will see if I can dig it up, keep you posted

#109 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Official Panthers FA list

http://en.wikipedia....Panthers_roster

Unrestricted FAs

Restricted FAs

#110 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Frank Alexander? He's under his rookie contract through 2015, his cap hit is minimal, and we need the depth. He's not going anywhere.

Didn't know he was still under that contraact.

#111 PantherFeez

PantherFeez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

I don't think we're interested in bringing back Colin Cole and Ben Hartsock. We have younger and cheaper replacements already on the roster. DT Linden Gaydosh would slide into the 4th DT spot and DC Jefferson is a big slow blocking TE, same as Hartsock.

The cap hit versus these people is so tiny. I'm fine with signing and letting them battle it out in TC, but those other 2 aren't proven and ready to go yet, especially at a 200k cap hit difference.

#112 cota37

cota37

Head Hunter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hardy coming up on NFL AM

#113 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

You don't truly appreciate how dumb most Huddlers are until the offseason comes around.

"guys guys guys why resign Wharton when weve got garry friggin williams, save the money from that and then trade lafell for a great player, and then yeah i mean what is so difficult about all this"

#114 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

I'm pretty sure signing bonuses can only be amortized over 5 years. I'm absolutely certain they can't be amortized over more years than the length of the contract, and neither Cam nor any other young player is going to be signed to a 10 year deal.

#115 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Good opinion, I see us going further than 5 years if for anything to help our cap mess for the next two years

#116 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'm pretty sure signing bonuses can only be amortized over 5 years. I'm absolutely certain they can't be amortized over more years than the length of the contract, and neither Cam nor any other young player is going to be signed to a 10 year deal.

I just checked. Signing bonuses are spread over 5 years or less. So it is the length of contract or 5 years, whichever is less.

So suggesting we could spread a hit over 10 years is just not accurate, no matter how long the contract terms are.

#117 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the correction, again. You're right, no way we go less than 5. I still think we go more like 6 or 7, even with losing the bonus in the last couple of years. Think about it, two years from now puts us in year 3 of his contract we are looking at resigning in year 4 and if not, at least making sure we are freeing up enough cap to do so in year 5. That really only gives us one good stressless cap year. Plus spreading guaranteed money across 7 years helps the cap hit as oppose to 5. Sorry I didn't elaborate on my opinion in the last post. Has there been many QBs signed for a term of 7+ years?

#118 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the correction, again. You're right, no way we go less than 5. I still think we go more like 6 or 7, even with losing the bonus in the last couple of years. Think about it, two years from now puts us in year 3 of his contract we are looking at resigning in year 4 and if not, at least making sure we are freeing up enough cap to do so in year 5. That really only gives us one good stressless cap year. Plus spreading guaranteed money across 7 years helps the cap hit as oppose to 5. Sorry I didn't elaborate on my opinion in the last post. Has there been many QBs signed for a term of 7+ years?

6 year contracts are pretty much the max. I don't know of any longer than that.

One way around equally spreading out bonus over 5 years is to put some "option" bonuses in around 4 or 5. So you amortize the original signing bonus over 5 years, keeping the cap hit low for the first few years, then in year 4 for example, have another bonus scheduled that is pretty much guaranteed. For example, you can include language in the contract making the year 4 bonus guaranteed if the player is on the roster day 1 of year 2. That is similar to what we did with Stewart. And while Stewart's contract is a disaster for us now, doing that with a franchise QB is much less risky/stupid than doing it with a RB for a variety of reasons.

#119 jbland

jbland

Huddle Chiropractor

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

I didnt realize that Gross was up for contract...

That really sucks. Gross is a really good Left Tackle, but he is going to have to take a discount to stay here. Maybe we can draft a new left tackle and pay gross RT money and move him over to the right side, solidifying our oline.

The bad thing about Gross is that he is on the down side of his career, and we have to worry about our younger players first. I really hope we can keep him, but we have to pay Cam, Hardy and Capt. first. We have to make these moves with the future in mind.

Considering he took a pay cut to play this year and said if he plays he will play for car I don't think we will have any trouble resigning him if that's what the team and he wants.

#120 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

The cap hit versus these people is so tiny. I'm fine with signing and letting them battle it out in TC, but those other 2 aren't proven and ready to go yet, especially at a 200k cap hit difference.

valid point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com