Photo
- - - - -

Why Lovie Smith is just what the Panthers need.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#61 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

i actually wouldn't hate it but there are much better options.  kevin sumlin is seriously my dream, and since johnny football is definitely going to the nfl this year he could be looking for a new job.  i know there's not a prayer though

#62 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

HUDDLER

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm on the fence, but bear in mind.....

Lovie Smith had poo QBs and a winning record.....

Ron Rivera has a winning QB and a poo record.

#63 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Not gonna lie. I would love Lovie as a head coach. I love Defensive minded coaches. My only hope would be that he brings in a competent OC. Lovie did try to find an OC that worked. He just did not have much luck. But you are kidding yourself if you think he was happy with just playing Defense.

Lovie was willing to experiment with his OCs. You have to give him credit for that.

Some of you slay me. Pass over a HC with a winning record just because he was a Defensive Coach. I promise you. Lovie did try to find an OC that would work. He just never found the right fit. Not saying he would find one this time. But, please do not down play his Offense without knowing his background.

Between Lovie and Gettlemen. I would think between the two of them, they very well could come up with a decent hire. These two guys know what they want to do. I would be happy with the pairing of Lovie and Gettlemen.

Personally, I would rather go with Lovie and Gettlemen than go with some unproven yahoo with some imagination but no experience. Get an experienced HC who is willing to experiment with innovation on O. To me, that is the way to go.

#64 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

Instigator

HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

I would love to be in a position as a franchise where 10-6 isn't cutting it. If Lovie can take us there so will follow. He does fit the mold of previous Panthers head coaches and you know our defense would have a ton of respect for him immediately just because he is a well known guy around the league. Lead the Bears vaunted defense who no one looked forward to facing. Just need to let Gettleman have a hand in the OC.

Or we could go Norv Turner. He is imaginative enough. Or Ken Whisenhunt who has turned Phillip Rivers from the dark side to where he looks like Peyton Manning after only 6 months.

#65 Achilles

Achilles

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yes. I like it.  Lovie is like John Fox except more successful in the regular season.  Both Fox and Lovie took a defense-first team with a no-name QB to the Super Bowl.  Both lost to one of the best QBs (and head coaches) in history.

The difference is that Lovie would have Cam (still has untapped potential).  And he would have our d-line plus Keuchly (even better than what Fox had with Peppers and Morgan).  That in itself is probably more talent than Lovie had in Chicago.  Not to mention Olsen, Kalil, TD, Gross, D-Lo and Stew, and lots of other talent at key positions.  RR should be taking this team somewhere with all of these gems.  Lovie could do it and turn this team around in maybe 1 or 2 seasons.  he showed the ability to put together excellent secondaries and develop talent through the draft.

I certainly don't expect this kind of long-term solution to happen this season.  Even if RR gets fired after tomorrow.  I would expect there to be a search with Lovie being one option.  At least he does fit well into the talent that we've drafted, our current schemes, and the owner's penchant for defensive minded HCs.  I think it would be safe to say that Lovie would let Shula go.  He might like to keep McD, but I doubt it.  It's probably better to clean house.

I would love to see this happen immediately after the Giants loss, but obviously that won't be how JR handles it.  The meltdown will be epic...but I have a feeling he will ride RR like he did Fox in 2010.  That will be the biggest tragedy of the whole thing.

#66 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

Another coach to blame. Great.

Some tough Lovie wouldn't hurt. Not sure it's the answer. It's obvious to me we have the same problem we have always had in Carolina. That problem is multiple problems. Despite years and millions. We are still years away at best.

#67 Blackmagic

Blackmagic

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

this.

the first reaction i had was "did you SEE what his offenses looked like?"

no thanks.

But what about Lovie Smith as HC. Hue Jackson as OC and Rod Marinelli as DC. That's a winning combination.

#68 dugbug

dugbug

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

If he was paired with an effective o coordinator I would love lovie

#69 methodtoll

methodtoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Again... Ron Rivera is the product of Lovie Smith's training and coaching.

Actually no he isn't... Smith and Rivera never saw eye-to-eye on the defense.

Lovie- Tampa 2

Rivera- Jim Johnson D

Sent from my XT907 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#70 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

so many good coaching prospects to look at right now and you people want Lovie Smith

"WELL ONLY IF WE CANT GET JOHN GROODEN OR BILL COWAR AMIRYT OR AMIRYT"

#71 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

No more DC HC's period

If we can't find someone who hasn't coached all parts of the team, it's OC time

I'm seriously thinking Gruden

#72 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

We simply need an aggressive offensive coach who also wants a dominant defense. If we keep signing defensive minded coaches we'll never get over the never take risk attitude that's been with the franchise since 2002.