Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Are Cam and Rivera adjoined at the hip?

Best Answer DRSundrop, 21 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

I think the message the OP is trying to convey is that Gettleman could possibly view our HC and QB as one. Perhaps the OP is insuating they are linked together as in they may not be here long but I dont think the OP is saying they ARE LINKED together and should GO as some of you are flaming him for.

First off, I'm completely for the Carolina Panthers not any one individual on the team. I think Cam is an exceptional QB that is inevitably linked to Rivera but I'm certain Gettleman has the knowledge to assign fault for this teams failures and shortcomings and understands that Newton can be successful in this league.

The best comment or question I've seen on our offensive woes was the other day and I don't know who said it so I'm not sure who to give credit to but someone asked "Would you put Manning in a read option offense? ..So why you keep Cam in the pocket?"

The main trouble here is that we don't know the root of the problems because we as a fanbase are kept in the dark about the inner workings of this team and can only speculate.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#91 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Josh Freeman wasn't attached to Rahiem Moore.

Phillp Rivers wasn't attached to Norv.

Vick wasn't attached to Dan Reeves.

Alex Smith wasn't attached to Mike Nolan.

#92 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

this is thered we are talking about.

and now that i've said that i expect some sort of angry post back to me.

I don't mind disagreement, just make it sensible.  I appreciate his loyalty. 

#93 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Josh Freeman wasn't attached to Rahiem Moore.

Phillp Rivers wasn't attached to Norv.

Vick wasn't attached to Dan Reeves.

Alex Smith wasn't attached to Mike Nolan.

Those pesky facts.

#94 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,557 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:06 PM

Its crazy how no one pays attention to Bradford and his piss poor career. 50 million dollars in the bank and no improvement.

#95 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,464 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

No.

#96 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm not reading anything more then the title and I can already tell you that this is the dumbest thread since the one about not going for it on 4th down on our own 35 yrd line with the game not on the line. Brilliant!!!... Not

#97 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

All you're giving me is your opinion, not facts. I'm sorry to break it to you, but that doesn't change what he said

I now see the light.  Thank you.

"Ten of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year had true pocket passers," Gettleman said. "At the end of the day, the quarterback has to make plays from the pocket. I think the read option is an option. But at the end of the day, your quarterback has got to make plays from the pocket, and if he can't, you're going to struggle."

Hmmm.  Gettlemen is just giving his opinion....

#98 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

"Ten of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year had true pocket passers," Gettleman said. "At the end of the day, the quarterback has to make plays from the pocket. I think the read option is an option. But at the end of the day, your quarterback has got to make plays from the pocket, and if he can't, you're going to struggle."

It's kind of hard being a pocket passer when your sacked 6x hit 12 and pressured all games.

I don't know any pocket passer who thrives in that situation.

#99 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,060 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

I now see the light. Thank you.

Hmmm. Gettlemen is just giving his opinion....

I don't see anything there about moving on from Cam.

First order of business if our GM wants this offense to be successful is to fix this shitty o line. That hasn't happened.

#100 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Let's see, Eli has 2 rings and is a proven commodity.  You want to compare?   We are talking about the possibility Gettlemen decides to go in a different direction--very possible.  I am sorry that your mind is too closed to consider that.

If Cam's contract expired right now, would you pay him what Eli is making?  If you would, I have to ask-is this you, Marty Hurney?

No I wouldn't give Cam Eli money right now. I'm curious though, which QB in his third year or less would you give Eli money to?

#101 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just a question... How many QBs in the league were not true pocket passers last year? So what percentage of "not true pocket passers" were in the playoffs?

Give Cam a coach that knows how to maxmize an offense, and he'll be in the playoffs too - from the pocket or anywhere else.

#102 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

I am not throwing Cam to the wolves--my initial comment was that Gettlemen may decide, depending on who he hires as the next coach, that Cam is not a good fit. Cam could eliminate that conjecture with improved play, and I am not seeing the development I hoped for.

Gettlemen would not move Cam unless he was presented with a sweet deal. Gettlemen might like a QB in the draft or a coach who prefers a different-style qb. If he decides to keep Cam, and he probably will, it may impact his decisions.

I see Cam's tremendous ability. I simply would like to know--and nobody actually knows---what needs to be done to make him elite. I am pretty sure an OL and a few stud WRs would make him better, but how much better?

Gettlemen has to make a decision in a year or two, and that decision will define his career. Do you give Cam $120 million if you are not sure about his talent? We are not looking at it from that perspective. I want Cam to make that an easy decision. If Gmen had to make it right now, I think it could go either way. It is simply something worth discussing if people are interested in exploring what could be going on behind the scenes. Suggesting it does not make me a hater (not suggesting you think so) but a person who is interested in the decision-making process that they face.

That is why I am upset that Cam was not given weapons or protection this year. We may have to wait until 2014 to see how good he can actually be--

All I will say is that if we did move Cam Newton or decided to move on from Cam Newton after three years or even four years it would be the worst decision in the history of the Panthers franchise.

And that is saying a lot with the decisions we have made.

#103 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Man did they put something in the water in Charlotte that made people suddenly decide this franchise is going to move on from a QB who in spite of (bad mechanics, poor accuracy, a fake smile, being a dick, being an alien, being a terrible passer, fuging someone's girlfriend, personally stealing the last beer in your fridge, whatever else you want to accuse him of) set a ton of records his first two years in the NFL with what can only be described as an awful cast around him?

Moving on from Cam before some work is given to the offensive unit around him would be one of the worst decisions we could make, no matter what the message-board superstars (clearly NFL coaches and GMs in hiding on the Huddle) say to the contrary.  All QBs have issues, even the top 2 or 3 in the league have their shortcomings.  We have a young QB with an astronomical ceiling and a staff that is either unwilling or unable to build an offense around him.  

We may one day move on from Cam but I can almost assure you it will not be until after the current regime is gone.

#104 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

The only way this team gets rid of Cam Newton is in one of two scenarios: 

1. He doesn't sign a new contract. 

2. Some team this season or next off season offers a deal that is too good to turn down. For me, the deal the Redskins gave the Rams in order to draft RIII - i.e. 3 x first round picks and a second round pick - would be the least that Gettleman should get in return for a QB of Cam's ability. 

Personally, though, I can't see any new head coach wanting to get rid of Cam Newton as his QB. Cam has made a big impact on the league so far. He's thrown for over 8,000 yards, 43 TDs, and a 1,500 rushing yards and 22 TDs. I don't know many QBs that can account for 65 TDs over their first 34 games in the league except for Dan Marino. So personally I can't see any head coach or general manager wanting to get rid of a QB with the ability and sheer potential of Cam Newton. 

Cam might have his flaws, but when he gets a better supporting cast, and improves his all round game, then he could be the type of guy that could lead this team back to the Super Bowl [and hopefully this time win it!]. 

#105 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

It's kind of hard being a pocket passer when your sacked 6x hit 12 and pressured all games.

I don't know any pocket passer who thrives in that situation.

I agree-one of my points was that we will never know what we have until we surround him with weapons and protection.  However, from Gettlemen''s perspective, which is what I offered, he (apparently) thinks Cam has the weapons and protection---chicken or egg kinda thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.