Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What exactly is a Franchise QB?

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Don't think there is such a thing until the guy has been in the league for 3 yrs.

RGIII  no

Luck  no

Cam  no

Kap   no

Once you see these guys get their second contract, you will know whether their GM's think they are a franchise QB

Wilson might be the first one to make it, possibly followed by Luck, ginger Bengal, and one dark horse might be Tannehill.

Second wave might be Kap and Cam, if they can follow former success

But again, I don't see any of them there just yet

3 people like this

Posted

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb.  this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Posted

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb. this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Well think about it. When working in a group the first thing that happens is a hierarchy is formed. Those with leadership skills assume those rolls and begin to dole out the tasks at hand. Do you not find it easier to complete your assigned task if that is the only thing to worry about? The leader has taken control of the situation allowing you to focus solely on your responsibility.

Posted

on a side note. people talk about leadership when it comes to a qb. this could be an important trait, but i dont know how important that is. does leadership really make a team better from the qbs position?

Yes but only if the qb and coach are preaching from the same book. I think that qb leadership is important but other leaders of the team must echo what the qb is preaching.

Posted

I pretty much agree with what Ship said.  A franchise QB is a QB you build around, a long term QB.  It's the opposite of a stop gap, when you know you can stop looking for a long term QB.

Posted

Well think about it. When working in a group the first thing that happens is a hierarchy is formed. Those with leadership skills assume those rolls and begin to dole out the tasks at hand. Do you not find it easier to complete your assigned task if that is the only thing to worry about? The leader has taken control of the situation allowing you to focus solely on your responsibility.

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me.  ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco. 

Posted

Not logan thomas go hokies!

Posted

i think that is true from a real world standpoint. but i keep thinking about last years Ravens. if you ask anyone who the leader of that team was it was Ray Lewis. Flacco was like the 3rd person down on that list for me. ray lewis, john harbaugh, then flacco.

That's true but you are assuming that the Panthers have a Ray Lewis type leader. Of that I'm not so sure. There is a lack of unifying leaders on this team.

Posted

cam-newton-belk-made-cam-newton-collecti

1 person likes this

Posted

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1713557-how-to-define-a-franchise-qb-in-todays-nfl

This is a surprisingly good article from Bleacher Report which discusses the topic on hand and goes into a lot of detail.

Basically breaks the FQB definition into several categories: skillset, leadership, marketability, wins, decision making etc.

I recommend checking it out for those interested. Cam is brought up throughout the article also.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think if you are looking for a potential franchise quarterback then guys like Kaepernick, Wilson, Tannehill, and Newton among others would qualify.  Then then are guys like  Cutler, Alex Smith, Dalton and Ryan who can help you win but can't take over a game most of the time They are franchise quarterbacks but aren't irreplaceable. Then you have guys like Brees, P. Manning and Brady who make others better and can carry a team on his back who are their team's franchise.  

Other guys are simply the quarterback of the franchise.. 

Posted

What kind of question is this? It's all about "WINS". All about wins.and leadership.

1 person likes this