- - - - -

What to make if Ginn?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

He finally has a stud QB who can hit him deep.

#17 xav8tor

xav8tor

Foul Weather Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOff the Grid

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

He looked pretty good preseason and he's looked good since...when he's been targeted, which is not enough IMHO.  His story could become one of those phoenix rising from the ashes comebacks.  I was lucky enough to be sitting in that corner on the long TD pass.  You could see the whole thing develop and know 6 were going to result before it actually happened.  It was a thing of beauty, and those trash can practice sessions must have helped Cam a bit too.  No, it wasn't a perfect day for him, but when he had to drop the ball into some really tight spaces, he pulled it off.

#18 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

I don't think he meshed with the style of offense he runs.  As a burner, you gotta be able to get the ball down the field to him, and remember, for the majority of his time there, he had Alex Smith as his QB.  Look at Dwayne Bowes production in KC now that Smith is there, he has little to no ability to push the ball down the field.  When Kaep took over, they still played it somewhat conservative in the pass game and Ginn had already been buried on the depth char.  I don't think Ginn is an all pro, but he'll do better than he did in SF wit Newton slinging the ball downfield to him.

This guy pretty much nailed what I was going to say.

It's really a very simple reason. While he was in SF he had Alex Can'tthrowfartherthan10yards Smith as a QB. While Ginn can make some catches on intermediate routes, that's not his game. He's not a "fight for the ball/take a hit over the middle" type of receiver. He's a take the top off of the defense and catch a wide open bomb type receiver - though this also makes him particularly adept at the come-back and curl routes since right at the time he breaks the route off the defender has turned his hips in an attempt to keep up with the perceived 9 route. 

By the time that Kaep took over, he was already dropped on the depth chart in favor of someone who excelled at the skills necessary to be successful with a game manager with a weak arm at QB. 

His skill set fits perfectly in a Coryell, especially with someone with the arm of Newton throwing the ball. 

#19 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

Can get open in the short game.
Can burn secondaries in the long game.
Home run threat on ST.
Takes pressure off of other recievers due to speed and Cam's arm.

When it works, he's everything we need him to be. It worked well today.

#20 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

So long as Ginn stays focused, as he and Cam build chemistry, we could have an incredible combination.  Cam is Ginn's perfect quarterback and vice versa; the two play to each other's strengths when both are on their game.

Ginn has all the talent in the world - his problem has always been consistency, but he's never had a QB that can do what Cam can consistently, so I'm hopeful that we're going to be seeing a new Ginn.

#21 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

Im cautiously optimistic right now. Im not totally sold on Ginn yet but if that is the case (that SF overlooked him and we have diamond in the rough) that would be great.

Alex Smith didn't have the arm and he wasn't going to be thrown in after Smith was replaced. I believe Ginn is in a better situation now. I'm just glad the Pats don't have him.

#22 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

How fast Ginn can get down the field is amazing. As others have stated he never had a quarterback that could throw to keep up with his speed. I see Cam and Ginn hooking up often this year.

#23 King Schit

King Schit

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ginn has been dependable so far. Way more than Leg-of-doo-doo, Loser Murphy, or any other #3,4,or 5 receiver we've had the past few yrs. I also think D. Hixon will arrive in time & Barner will be a dependable set of hands out the backfield with blazing speed if he can get back on the field.

#24 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,525 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I would like to see Ginn make some tougher catches before I anoint him but I was really happy with him.

#25 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

He has never had a QB with Cams arm strength to really maximize what he brings to the table

^^^This...a rich man's Drew Carter

#26 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,677 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Please sign this man to an extension.

#27 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

He's gona be our #3 every game now. It's concerning that Amanti Edwards has not done anything.

#28 CashNewton22

CashNewton22

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Not sure if he is gonna consistently put up numbers but if nothing else he's a receiver that defenses always have to account for so it frees up some of our other guys to make plays.

#29 Judo Thoreau

Judo Thoreau

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Troll mode activated.

He's the one guy who Cam can't overthrow by a mile on the deep ball.

End troll mode.

Cam seems to trust him already. Definitely a good sign.

#30 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 3,299 posts
  • Location910

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

I think the offense is tailored to what he does best . He not a middle of the field, catch in traffic kind of guy. Deep post, and 9 routes to stretch the defense are his strengths. So far I  liked what i've seen and I was a skeptic heading into the season. If he continues on this pace id really like to see him get a new deal to stick around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com