Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stopping our front four

30 posts in this topic

Posted

I would say, "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate".

Google it you MF'ers.

The English translation is slightly more recognizable.

Posted

How soon you all forget Buffalo. Remember Buffalo should be our quote.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry I'll take all the optimism and happiness about our win and just shove it elsewhere.

Posted

Our d-line was playing contain against Manuel, rushing wide around the pocket to prevent him from running rather than trying to sack him. That was a mistake in gameplanning, not execution.

4 people like this

Posted

D-line looks great. I'm not sure if it was just me, but the whole D looked to be communicating far better Sunday then any game over this last 2 years. Normally someone looks lost or has their hands up not knowing what is going on. It was really great to see players actually communicating better.

Posted

Not possible to stop them.

Posted

Not possible to stop them.

Maybe but with a still questionable secondary we can still get exploited.

Posted

Our d-line was playing contain against Manuel, rushing wide around the pocket to prevent him from running rather than trying to sack him. That was a mistake in gameplanning, not execution.

...still makes me nauseous to think about it....

Posted

Have a running QB who is good at escaping pressure(see Wilson, Russell) or gameplan quick passes(see Manuel, EJ).  

Or we could help them out like in Buffalo at times by playing soft coverage.

If Im Rivera, im sticking with the cover 2 base D until teams prove they can run on us.  Im also playing press coverage taking away the quick passes.  

1 person likes this

Posted

What an amazing thing to watch. Four monsters crushing the pocket consistently.

How do you scout them? How do you plan for them?

You can't really double more than one unless you keep a tight end in and maybe a RB. That still leaves someone one on one. And even doubling them isn't going to stop them all the time.

Keep the pressure and that defensive backfield is going to look All-Pro no matter who is back there.

If you were a Offensive coordinator how would you handle this group?

BTW what a fun thing to discuss since our D-Line has been so abysmal over the last couple of years.

They will be dominate or meh....based on the scheme an opposing team runs.

Posted

Standard response to a high pressure DL is quick throws off of short drops (3 steps, generally), essentially the WCO approach.

You have to have a QB that can execute it, of course (receivers too).

And drives like that tend to sputter out. That's when our offense needs to score TDs and force teams to open up. Its why we lost the two games we did. We were simply allowing teams to small ball us into submission.

Posted

Yea they made his job easy that day. I say let a QB run on you if they are going to play hurry up all game. He will be gasses by the second and the sacks will just hurt that much more.