79 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster... all running backs who are being out performed by the Carolina Panthers own Deangelo Williams.

Deangelo quietly ranks 4th in the entire NFL, yet you won't hear his name in the media.

Posted Image
Deangelo Williams

With the promotion of Mike Shula to Offensive Coordinator, the Carolina Panthers doubled down on a running game still being important in a passing league. A risky move, but it appears to have some early returns. The Panthers have the second ranked rushing attack in the entire NFL.

An amazing accomplishment given that Jonathan Stewart has been unavailable due to injury.

By far Deangelo's most efficient running has been to the left edge with blocks provided by Jordan Gross where Deangelo is averaging a whopping 6.9 yards a carry. Interestingly, his second most efficient running is behind the right guard, who this season has been a mix of players.

In a career with highs and lows, health and injuries, Deangelo has kept the right attitude.

"It's not how many times you fall. It's how many time you're willing to get up. I'm willing to get up every time."

It remains to be seen if a premier rushing attack can again elevate teams to the NFL playoffs. No one is more hopeful than Ron Rivera and Mike Shula, who have wagered on this notion with their jobs on the line.

Click here to view the article

#2 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

I just hope when/if Stewart comes back we don't go back to giving Williams 8 carries a game. He's the type of rb who needs at least 15 carries a game to stay in his rhythm.

#3 panthers04100

panthers04100

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

And we honestly don't even really need Stewart back with Williams as our primary rb and Tolbert and cam for short yardage.

#4 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,721 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

With a decent year, D-will should get up to 60 or better on the all-time rushing list.

#5 ZeroZeroSeven

ZeroZeroSeven

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

It's going to be interesting how Shula divides the carries going forward.. Cam, D. Will, Stew and Tolbert all need carries. Then throw in Barner and that's a lot of mouths to feed.

#6 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,760 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

i doubt he'll get much attention until he finds his way into the endzone.

bad thing for him in that regard is he's pretty much the 'between the 20's' guy. they've got other plans for other guys when they get in the red zone or at the end zone.

he has been really impressive, tho.

#7 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,542 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

The whole recent notion that this is a passing league and therefore good running attacks aren't important is negated by the fact  that 6 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs in 2012.  And 3 of the four teams that played in the Championship games last year were on this list. The other Baltimore was 11th on the list.

#8 jeffgoard15

jeffgoard15

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

He is as solid as they come.  He will be the Williams of old by season's end

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_1193wt_917

#9 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,282 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

The whole recent notion that this is a passing league and therefore good running attacks aren't important is negated by the fact that 6 of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs in 2012. And 3 of the four teams that played in the Championship games last year were on this list. The other Baltimore was 11th on the list.

I think the notion is....if you build your team right you don't need to spent tons of money on your backfield.

#10 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Favorable Schedule as well, If Cam and Ginn keep it up he should consistently get good yardage per game........hopefully when Stewart gets back he gets 8-10 carries and majority of the passing plays along with barner

#11 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'd kinda' hate to ruin the good thing we've got going with Deangelo when Stew comes back... D-Lo seems to be in rhythm right now.

#12 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Locationstarkville, ms

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

And we honestly don't even really need Stewart back with Williams as our primary rb and Tolbert and cam for short yardage.

Actually we do need Stewart especially in the middle part of the season when where going to face tough defenses. Stewart can run inside the tackle better  than Tolbert e has better speed to hit the hole and can be used to get our drives going to give rhytm to the offense,soften up the defense and eat clock towards end of the game

Tolbert  & Cam would be our short yard situation and use William to stretch the edge & hit home runners. We just have to stay committed to the run game  and let the Offensive line continue to Gel.  :cam:

#13 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

NFL Network just had him listed as 3rd in yardage

#14 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm excited to see Stew back in the mix as others have pointed out he is better at the in between tackle runs not to mention he doesn't typically go down after the first hit. I foresee him softening up the defense and then d lo busting them wide open for the home run. As long as the o line continues to gel and improve throughout the season I see the return of double trouble to be nothing but a good thing for this offense and what we are trying to do which is to dictate the flow of the game and wear the opposing defense's down while demoralizing them. The key here also will be to see barners progress with holding on to the ball and how we utilize him in the ground and air game. Should be exciting and interesting for those of us that appreciate this type of offense.

#15 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

It's going to be interesting to see what we do at the RB position next season with D Will, J Stew and Barner. Barner, to me is a younger, faster and better catching out of the backfield D Will. We seem to me to be putting ourselves in position to cut or trade D Will and roll with Stew as our starter and Barner as our change of pace back, which I would disagree with. D Will is the type of back that I wouldn't cut. He has a very low fumble rating and is a good all around back. To me, being a good back that doesn't fumble often is the type of back I'd want to keep. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Deangelo Williams, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.