• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — 

On Tuesday night, Eyewitness News learned that state regulators approved a 4.5 percent rate increase for Duke Energy.

Duke Energy customers on Tuesday night said a $100 and more is simply too much to pay for their monthly power bill, but Eyewitness News learned that customers all across North Carolina can soon expect to pay even more.

On Tuesday night, the North Carolina Utilities Commission approved a $200 million increased to Duke Energy Rates.

Starting this month, the power bills will increase by 4.5 percent, but after two years it will go up 5.1 percent.

That means, the current average bill of $102 a month will go up to $110.

Residents Eyewitness News spoke with said that is simply more than they can afford.

"I mean that's a lot I understand they want to kind of keep things going, upgraded, but it seems like a lot to push on to us," said one Charlotte resident.

"There's no way I'm going to be able to afford that with car payments and everything else," said another Charlotte resident.

http://www.wsoctv.co...increase/nZ6kd/

What else is new?

#2 KillerKat

KillerKat

To Hell With Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

going to have to run off a generator

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Big money government approving big money business to take another step toward killing the middle class.

#4 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

It's about $10 extra a month and don't seems much buts it's $120 a year which is very material. Also, businesses will have to increase prices to cover the increase and it will trickle down to us.

Sad part is 3rd party research showed that 4.5% increase is way more than Duke Power needs to cover capital investments... One of the big driving forces behind increase was Pat Mcrory and it just happened he owns large amount of Duke Energy stock. What a shocker...

#5 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• LocationMatthews, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Didn't our Governor used to work with Duke Energy in some fashion?  I knew this would pass the moment he got elected (but honestly, probably would have regardless).

I'll end up paying more than 7-8 bucks a month for this, unfortunately.

#6 4Corners

4Corners

2014 Huddle Poster of the Year.

• Location704
HUDDLER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

McCrory was a Duke Power executive before his political career

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

We (Duke) just retired a plant this past year that's been running since the 1930s. We have critical upgrade needs and operational costs involving a couple of bad luck/bad decision issues as well. Add to that decreased demand, more power from alternate sources, etc...power is expensive until you can't get it then it seems cheap

#8 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

We (Duke) just retired a plant this past year that's been running since the 1930s. We have critical upgrade needs and operational costs involving a couple of bad luck/bad decision issues as well. Add to that decreased demand, more power from alternate sources, etc...power is expensive until you can't get it then it seems cheap

So Duke power needs extra billions of dollars because of their bad decisions? And middle class will pay for it. Yea, makes sense...

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well then I am going to switch over to your competitor.....damn

#10 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• LocationMatthews, NC
Administrators

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

thanks to energy efficiency improvements I've made to my house, this will only affect me by about $75-80 per year.

Suck it, duke.  When I put up solar panels in a couple of years, you'll be paying me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users