Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State approves Duke Power rates hike

27 posts in this topic

Posted

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — 

On Tuesday night, Eyewitness News learned that state regulators approved a 4.5 percent rate increase for Duke Energy.

Duke Energy customers on Tuesday night said a $100 and more is simply too much to pay for their monthly power bill, but Eyewitness News learned that customers all across North Carolina can soon expect to pay even more.

On Tuesday night, the North Carolina Utilities Commission approved a $200 million increased to Duke Energy Rates.

Starting this month, the power bills will increase by 4.5 percent, but after two years it will go up 5.1 percent.

That means, the current average bill of $102 a month will go up to $110.

Residents Eyewitness News spoke with said that is simply more than they can afford.

"I mean that's a lot I understand they want to kind of keep things going, upgraded, but it seems like a lot to push on to us," said one Charlotte resident.

"There's no way I'm going to be able to afford that with car payments and everything else," said another Charlotte resident.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/duke-energy-approves-45-rate-increase/nZ6kd/

What else is new?

Posted

going to have to run off a generator

Posted

Big money government approving big money business to take another step toward killing the middle class.

Posted

It's about $10 extra a month and don't seems much buts it's $120 a year which is very material. Also, businesses will have to increase prices to cover the increase and it will trickle down to us.

Sad part is 3rd party research showed that 4.5% increase is way more than Duke Power needs to cover capital investments... One of the big driving forces behind increase was Pat Mcrory and it just happened he owns large amount of Duke Energy stock. What a shocker...

Posted

Didn't our Governor used to work with Duke Energy in some fashion?  I knew this would pass the moment he got elected (but honestly, probably would have regardless).

I'll end up paying more than 7-8 bucks a month for this, unfortunately.

Posted

McCrory was a Duke Power executive before his political career

1 person likes this

Posted

We (Duke) just retired a plant this past year that's been running since the 1930s. We have critical upgrade needs and operational costs involving a couple of bad luck/bad decision issues as well. Add to that decreased demand, more power from alternate sources, etc...power is expensive until you can't get it then it seems cheap

Posted

We (Duke) just retired a plant this past year that's been running since the 1930s. We have critical upgrade needs and operational costs involving a couple of bad luck/bad decision issues as well. Add to that decreased demand, more power from alternate sources, etc...power is expensive until you can't get it then it seems cheap

So Duke power needs extra billions of dollars because of their bad decisions? And middle class will pay for it. Yea, makes sense...

Posted

Well then I am going to switch over to your competitor.....damn

Posted

thanks to energy efficiency improvements I've made to my house, this will only affect me by about $75-80 per year.

Suck it, duke.  When I put up solar panels in a couple of years, you'll be paying me.

Posted

That's the kind of stuff we also have to plan for...and good job ignoring the stuff other than the "bad decisions" - the main one, Crystal River, was due to the owner trying in part to keep costs down for customers so there you go

Posted

When customers get more self generation they will still want power when it's dark, cloudy, no wind, etc but not understand that it's less efficient for us to ramp up and down wildly instead of more controlled and predictable use cycles therefore more expensive