Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

State approves Duke Power rates hike

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Around 10 cents kWh, but that is for generation, transmission, and all other fees.

The costs on the site you gave are only the generation costs. Someone still has to transmit it to your house. While you have SOME choice, you don't have total choice because one entity still owns the lines to your house and they're charging a transmission rate that is non-negotiable.

Deregulation has been a failure across the U.S. so far in the sense that it was supposed to save consumers money.

In Texas for example:

The last chart shows that 9 years into deregulation, Texas is finally starting to see some savings compared to the national average, but overall, deregulation has cost Texas consumers billions of dollars.

Cool info, link?

All or almost the power is generated/sold by Reliant Energy anyway.....So I get to choose the middleman. Yippee. There is the choice to go 100% renewable (wind/solar) but you still get power generated from traditional sources, but your payment goes to support renewable sources elsewhere in the State. (west texas has lot of windmills)

I don't have my bill in front of me, but I think 10.6kWh is what I paid last month after all taxes/fees.

Posted

Cool info, link?

All or almost the power is generated/sold by Reliant Energy anyway.....So I get to choose the middleman. Yippee. There is the choice to go 100% renewable (wind/solar) but you still get power generated from traditional sources, but your payment goes to support renewable sources elsewhere in the State. (west texas has lot of windmills)

I don't have my bill in front of me, but I think 10.6kWh is what I paid last month after all taxes/fees.

http://www.texasobserver.org/report-electricity-deregulation-cost-texans-billions/

the last price I saw in NC was 9.9 cents per kWh, but that was over a year ago. Not sure if any new rate increases have actually gone into effect yet.

Duke customers in SC pay a little more than in NC.

Posted

AS far as stewards of your money goes, Duke is actually pretty good. When I go into coal plants, the generators that are running are usually 1950s vintage. The real costs are involved in pollution controls these days, to get 10 percent more crap out of the air you have to almost double the costs of the controls.

Vultures love the rapping and the heat the cleaning equipment makes and nest in the rafters and crap everywhere, but we can't get rid of them because they are endangered. For years we've tried all kinds of things to get rid of them but they like the plants more than they hate loud horns and other attempts made. The power world is full of things like this, it's pretty crazy at times.