Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Play GM: A 4th Round pick in Week 5 or 6 for Hakeem Nicks? Would you guys take it?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,183 posts
  • Location704

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

I don't think it would take more then a fourth, but id rather have. Gasp...... Flash Gordon

letting your UNC hate skew your view

Hicks would be an incredible player as long as he can stay healthy. he didn't catch a pass vs. the panthers and still injured his hand

#32 osd22

osd22

Weltmeister

• ALL-PRO
  • 578 posts
  • LocationNo. 1 Panthers Fan in Deutschland

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Because he is leaving them in the offseason. Might as well get something for him. 

If Nicks stays healthy the whole season and puts up good numbers he will be a Panther next season imo. 

I did not follow his contract talks with the Giants, are they stalled? Does he want out? Then of course I see him in his hometown jersey, but not this year, next year as an FA and only if the price is right. I donĀ“t think Gettle will overpay him.

#33 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Wouldn't the Giants most likely get a 3rd round compensation pick if they lose him?

#34 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

4th would never work unless they were absolutely sure he won't be returning.  The whole Cruz fiasco was because the Giants had a higher priority to keep Nicks next year, so Cruz's contract was based on that.  I would easily give a 2nd if we are on a winning streak because he would put us over the hump this year and we could make a serious run.  And anyone who wouldnt at least give a 4th, whatare you fuggin nuts?

#35 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,459 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Wouldn't the Giants most likely get a 3rd round compensation pick if they lose him?

i think that's only for rfa's, not sure if he qualifies under that.  if so, might even be a 2nd.

#36 MichaelNewtonII

MichaelNewtonII

DRAFT JULIUS RANDLE

• HUDDLER
  • 3,245 posts
  • LocationESPN Studios

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yes i would no doubt take it, as much as i like LaFell, Nicks is much better than him and with steve smith retiring soon, we need a new #1 wideout to replace him and Nicks could be just that. I like LaFell but i just dont think he is consistent enough to be a #1 receiver in the national football league.

#37 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Who the hell wouldn't? But y'all be dreaming about a 4th.

I'd send LaFell and a 3rd. Both Lafell and Nicks are up after the season. In that way NYG can try and get depth for losing Nicks.

#38 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

I thought Nicks hits FA after the season anyway?

We will have to spend some money next offseason with all of these 1 year contracts.

Though I suspect that LaFell, Beason, Godfrey, Stewart or one of the RB's will be gone. Mitchell and Mikell will probably be gone though could be resigned for cheap. Also, doesn't Gross have an option to leave after the season?

I think we could afford one pricey FA which would be Nicks and he would be a nice fit here. But I also want to resign Ted Ginn. His value is underrated. He is a threat every time he's on the field.

#39 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Versus the 50 receivers who will be available after the season for no draft picks at all? What are my other choices? Gettleman has proven to be very good horse trader. With the cap being flat and so many guys coming up for free agency, I doubt we have to trade anything away to get a good receiver. So far a guy like Ginn looks like a keeper. There will be plenty more like him available. Why would we not go for a receiver or two in the draft on a 4 or 5 year rookie contract instead of the money Nicks will ask. If the Giants trade him it will be because they don't value him much. Why should we??

I agree he has great hands but he has an injury problem. Over the last two seasons his explosion hasn't been there. He needs a quarterback like Brady to do well. Due to his lack of separation Nicks needs a quarterback with pinpoint accuracy to get him the ball.

IMO, we should continue to play to Cams strength, a receiver like Sammy Watkins would be a much better upgrade for a guy like Cam. He can blow the top off the defense and Watkins would get separation on intermediate routes too.
Sammy can even get us a home run on bubble screens. Our free agent money should be invested elsewhere. The Panthers would see a much better return.

#40 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I thought Nicks hits FA after the season anyway?

We will have to spend some money next offseason with all of these 1 year contracts.

Though I suspect that LaFell, Beason, Godfrey, Stewart or one of the RB's will be gone. Mitchell and Mikell will probably be gone though could be resigned for cheap. Also, doesn't Gross have an option to leave after the season?

I think we could afford one pricey FA which would be Nicks and he would be a nice fit here. But I also want to resign Ted Ginn. His value is underrated. He is a threat every time he's on the field.

I think we'll be able to position ourself to resign Hardy and still pick up Nicks. We have a lot of players coming off the book and I just can't see guys like Dwill, Beason, and Godfrey being here next year. Stewart will probably have to take a cut and I'm hearing that Gross have even thought about retiring after this season.

#41 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

I agree he has great hands but he has an injury problem. Over the last two seasons his explosion hasn't been there. He needs a quarterback like Brady to do well. Due to his lack of separation Nicks needs a quarterback with pinpoint accuracy to get him the ball.

IMO, we should continue to play to Cams strength, a receiver like Sammy Watkins would be a much better upgrade for a guy like Cam. He can blow the top off the defense and Watkins would get separation on intermediate routes too.
Sammy can even get us a home run on bubble screens. Our free agent money should be invested elsewhere. The Panthers would see a much better return.

If you saw his first two games then Nicks still got it.

Vs. Dallas: 5 rec 114 yards
Vs. Denver: 4 rec 83 yards

#42 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

After reading some comments on his health concerns and that he will be a free agent next year (Giants probably won't use their tag on him), I wouldn't trade no more than a 5th for him.  The Giants don't have a lot of leverage when taking all those things in consideration.  Nicks most likely will become a free agent and won't get tagged because they already paid Cruz a decent contract.  It's not likely they will pay two receivers big money with all their concerns on the O-line and so forth.

#43 CatfanMO

CatfanMO

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationKC Mo

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

I think Ginn is what we needed. He has the speed to require help over the top. If Cam can hit consistently hit him on those deep balls, that is going to open up Smitty and Olsen.

#44 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think Ginn is what we needed. He has the speed to require help over the top. If Cam can hit consistently hit him on those deep balls, that is going to open up Smitty and Olsen.

this.

Ginn will open up the middle of the field like fugg.

#45 WCUcats

WCUcats

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

This isn't going to happen but I'd rather have us use a 6th or 7th on Flash, than using a 2-4th round pick on Nicks. Flash has almost the same upside, would be cheaper, and if it doesn't work it only cost is a draft pick that seldom works out anyways.

Gordon is a head case which worries me, but all good WR's are a little crazy so I can roll with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com