Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rookie Review: Star Lotulelei - ESPN

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I remember plenty of arguments for taking a wide out over a DT. People always crave home run hitters come draft day. Once the pick was in, all that talk ended.

i think that was mainly because no one thought that star would fall that far. it was pretty widely accepted that he was the best DT in the draft and one of the best players in the draft. most thought that he was a top 3-5 pick and even after the heart scare i doubt many thought he would fall past the 10th.

a WR over star....nah. a WR (or pass catching TE) over another DT? very understandable.

Vouched, and looking back on it now that we have Ginn as our #3. . . its still laughable. That could easily be one of 4 different guys and people were calling to add a 5th. . . in the first round no less. There was one thread that said we should consider drafting one in the first AND second.

pretty sure that thread wasn't serious.

Posted · Report post

Maybe I'm the only one, but this article pisses me off!!!  Star is a stud, blah, blah, blah, but not as good, athletic, etc., as Ngata???  REALLY??? 

Ngata ran a 5.13 40 at the combine...Star ran a 5.07

Ngata put up 37 reps...Star put up 38

Ngata was 7.97 in the three cone...Star was 7.76

Ngata was 4.69 in the short shuttle...Star was 4.67

Ngata had 17.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Oregon...Star had 19 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Utah.

He even mentions Mike Bellotti, a guy that hasn't coached in five years, in an article that really should have everything to do with Star.  Why? 

Not mad at the OP and appreciate the post, but it fires me up even more.  Very poor "insider" article IMO, not to mention simply untrue!!!  Star was #1 overall on many mock's last year at this time for a reason.  We are seeing and will continue to see that reason.  Star at #14 was without question the greatest moment I have ever had watching the draft.  

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

high as fudge screaming on chat and the tv. when we drafted star. I love this pick.,

Posted · Report post

No, some people wanted them over Star. Even if he didn't drop neither of them were worth picking that early because they were not even the best WR in the draft. 

Don't remember anyone saying they would take Austin over Star.  

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Star was, at once, mentioned as a possible 1st overall pick.

Nuff said.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

The drafting of Star was one of those truly strange situations where everyone on the huddle was in complete agreement as to the pick.

Similarly, the drafting of Kugbila had a similar yet opposite unified huddle reaction (with minor exception). 

It amazes me how, as a fan-base, we can be relatively well informed and succinct. 

Posted · Report post

I was a huge Austin fan but assumed Star was gone by our pick....it waa reversed in the draft oddly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

I still can't believe people here wanted Austin or Patterson with the 14th pick. 

I kind of wanted Austin, but now I'm glad we didn't take him. Patterson I think could have worked out. He's doing well in Minnesota. But all the same, it's hard not to be satisfied with Star.

Posted · Report post

Patterson had the kickoff return TD against the Bears that made highlights, but has been mildly disappointing as a WR so far.

Posted · Report post

I wanted Austin if Star wasn't there.

I would have taken Eifert at 14 if neither was there. I just know I didn't like the other DT's who were projected there and I don't believe in drafting interior OL's that high, especially OG's.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Patterson had the kickoff return TD against the Bears that made highlights, but has been mildly disappointing as a WR so far.

I think he has 5 catches 73 yards on just 31 snaps. Also has a KO return.

Being brought along slowly but nothing disappointing.

Posted · Report post

I was hoping for Star of course but wanted Richardson if Star was gone. I didn't like any of the receivers this year, not in the first at least. Star in just afew weeks is already playing amazing. Imagine later in the year and years to come.