47 replies to this topic

#16 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

wow i never once read that. I remember everybody being elated when Starlite fell.

I remember plenty of arguments for taking a wide out over a DT. People always crave home run hitters come draft day. Once the pick was in, all that talk ended.

#17 NavyPF4L

NavyPF4L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the read!

#18 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I remember plenty of arguments for taking a wide out over a DT. People always crave home run hitters come draft day. Once the pick was in, all that talk ended.

Vouched, and looking back on it now that we have Ginn as our #3. . . its still laughable. That could easily be one of 4 different guys and people were calling to add a 5th. . . in the first round no less. There was one thread that said we should consider drafting one in the first AND second.

#19 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

If I'm not mistaken, he's PFF's highest ranked rookie:

14. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
Grade: +7.8
Snaps: 108
Analysis: At the moment our sixth ranked defensive tackle on the year with nearly his entire grade coming against the run. In that regard only Damon Harrison has graded better as Lotulelei already makes a name for himself.

https://www.profootb...n-focus-week-3/

#20 Jmac

Jmac

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationAsheville NC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Good post....we all know where it came from so it's all good. DG had a plan and this part is starting to produce.

#21 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,582 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Watching Star drag down Eli with one arm while being engaged with a lineman with the other, was, for lack of a better term, art

#22 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Watching Star drag down Eli with one arm while being engaged with a lineman with the other, was, for lack of a better term, art

or raw mutant strength....either way...

impressive..most impressive

#23 xerxes

xerxes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sexiest unsexy pick ever.

#24 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

No, some people wanted them over Star. Even if he didn't drop neither of them were worth picking that early because they were not even the best WR in the draft. 

there were only a couple upset by the pick.

#25 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,937 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

i think that was mainly because no one thought that star would fall that far. it was pretty widely accepted that he was the best DT in the draft and one of the best players in the draft. most thought that he was a top 3-5 pick and even after the heart scare i doubt many thought he would fall past the 10th.

a WR over star....nah. a WR (or pass catching TE) over another DT? very understandable.

Vouched, and looking back on it now that we have Ginn as our #3. . . its still laughable. That could easily be one of 4 different guys and people were calling to add a 5th. . . in the first round no less. There was one thread that said we should consider drafting one in the first AND second.

pretty sure that thread wasn't serious.

#26 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Maybe I'm the only one, but this article pisses me off!!!  Star is a stud, blah, blah, blah, but not as good, athletic, etc., as Ngata???  REALLY??? 

Ngata ran a 5.13 40 at the combine...Star ran a 5.07

Ngata put up 37 reps...Star put up 38

Ngata was 7.97 in the three cone...Star was 7.76

Ngata was 4.69 in the short shuttle...Star was 4.67

Ngata had 17.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Oregon...Star had 19 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Utah.

He even mentions Mike Bellotti, a guy that hasn't coached in five years, in an article that really should have everything to do with Star.  Why? 

Not mad at the OP and appreciate the post, but it fires me up even more.  Very poor "insider" article IMO, not to mention simply untrue!!!  Star was #1 overall on many mock's last year at this time for a reason.  We are seeing and will continue to see that reason.  Star at #14 was without question the greatest moment I have ever had watching the draft.  

#27 0115

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

high as fudge screaming on chat and the tv. when we drafted star. I love this pick.,

#28 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

No, some people wanted them over Star. Even if he didn't drop neither of them were worth picking that early because they were not even the best WR in the draft. 

Don't remember anyone saying they would take Austin over Star.  

#29 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,397 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Star was, at once, mentioned as a possible 1st overall pick.

Nuff said.

#30 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

The drafting of Star was one of those truly strange situations where everyone on the huddle was in complete agreement as to the pick.

Similarly, the drafting of Kugbila had a similar yet opposite unified huddle reaction (with minor exception). 

It amazes me how, as a fan-base, we can be relatively well informed and succinct. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.