Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Should Washington change the their name?   48 votes

1. 1. Should Washington change the their name?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

138 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

i think changing it would be the ethical thing to do, yes

Posted · Report post

I simply find it uncomfortably ironic that there is a large number of African Americans on this football team who completely and utterly bristle at the notion of someone using a racial epithet toward them. But they seem to have no problem playing for an owner who, by the sheer nature of his attitude, seems to be okay with a team name that is considered by many as just that- a racial epithet. I guess as long as it's not directed at you, it's okay? And as long as said owner is signing their paychecks, it's okay as well

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I agree up until the point where you said the nfl and nflpa shouldn't call for a change. I think it is their place. I wish a draft pick would hold out based on the name.

I would recommend anyone who is offended by the name vote with their feet and pocketbooks and withdraw their support for the organization and team.

I do not however support forcing them to change. If the ownership wants the change or feels the economic consequences of keeping the name I would welcome a change to something less divisive. I dont think its the right of the NFL, the NFLPA, or the general public to call for this change. If the fans of that team want it they have the power to let the ownership know and that should be the beginning and the end of who has a say in the name of that franchise.

To be clear...

I would support a name change.

I just dont think Panther fans or the NFL or Budweiser or the Elders of the Cherokee Nation have any say in the matter.

Posted · Report post

The question is not, "Should the Washington Redskins Be Forced to Change Their Name?"

The question is, "Should the Washington Redskins Change Their Name?" meaning the team and its ownership makes the decision to change the name.

The quickest way to get them to change their name? At next year's draft, if their first round draft pick happens to be black, that draft pick does a John Elway and publicly refuses to play for the team, citing a name bearing racial overtones. Kind of curious no current member of the team who also happens to belong to a historically racially oppressed minority hasn't stood up and said something.... hmmm....

They still don't even have a first round pick.

Posted · Report post

OK so if they change their name do they also have to change their logo?  Could they shorten in to the "Skins" and then just have some feathers/spear or something like Florida State?

Posted · Report post

OK so if they change their name do they also have to change their logo?  Could they shorten in to the "Skins" and then just have some feathers/spear or something like Florida State?

Foreskins would be my (obvious) choice, although I think posting logo ideas might get me banned.

Posted · Report post

Foreskins would be my (obvious) choice, although I think posting logo ideas might get me banned.

But unclipped guys my take offense to that name. 

Posted · Report post

Yes, they should. 

Posted · Report post

I simply find it uncomfortably ironic that there is a large number of African Americans on this football team who completely and utterly bristle at the notion of someone using a racial epithet toward them. But they seem to have no problem playing for an owner who, by the sheer nature of his attitude, seems to be okay with a team name that is considered by many as just that- a racial epithet. I guess as long as it's not directed at you, it's okay? And as long as said owner is signing their paychecks, it's okay as well

Pretty much nailed it.

Posted · Report post

To continue on from the conversation yesterday, I would like to see a new name and new logo/uniform.  With discussion from Daniel Snyder and native groups, I want this new name to teach me something about native americans that I didn't know.  Something precious to them, something they would want us to know about their ancestors.  Names like "Warriors" and "Braves" wouldn't really teach me anything new. (Of course I don't particularly know the full history behind the meaning of "Braves", but I heard it so many times already, I don't think it would encourage anyone to think of it's meaning)  So that would be my desire.

Posted · Report post

No.

Posted · Report post

I voted no only because I think it is debatable how derogatory and offensive the name is to American Indians. While congress has been up in arms about it and some of the American Indian political figures have been banging the drum, I suspect your average American Indian is not offended in the least. I am not suggesting none are, but it is hardly the slur that African Americans and Jews endure.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/professional/football/redskins/article_26b0f8d8-eb22-52f0-87df-c05e24bbfc0e.html

“It doesn’t bother me,” said Robert Green, 66 and chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.”

Kevin Brown, 58 and chief of the Pamunkey Tribe of Virginia, said, “I’m a Redskins fan, and I don’t think there’s any intention for (the nickname) to be derogatory. The majority of the people in my tribe don’t have a problem with it. There are a few who do, and we respect their feelings.

“I like the uniforms. I like the symbol (logo).”

G. Anne Richardson, chief of Virginia’s Rappahannock Tribe, had to stifle a laugh when asked her feelings on the Redskins’ nickname.

“I don’t have an issue with it,” she said. “There are so many more issues that are important for the tribe than to waste time on what a team is called. We’re worried about real things, and I don’t consider that a real thing.

1 person likes this