Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Should Washington change the their name?   48 votes

1. 1. Should Washington change the their name?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

138 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The thing is, the name itself is inappropriate.  No one would call someone of native descent a redskin, and yet the team is essentially doing just that when you look at the meaning.  The whole thing is contradictory.  Even if those of native american descent didn't find it offensive for the team to be named the Redskins, I would still want it changed because it's just not an appropiate name.  As I said earlier, if the team was name the Washington Coloreds, the name would be changed. 

I also believe in this hypothetical.  Let's say there was never a team in the history of sports with the name Redskin.  Then let's say Los Angeles finally got a football franchise, and "Redskins" was a possible title choice for the new team.  How many people would find that inappropriate, how many would be okay with it?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

This is more of an issue for political liberals than to actually native Americans. Seen by happy panthers post. The name should stay
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There's a small population of women who don't mind being called "bitches" also. Does that make it appropriate to call all women "bitches?"

And just how many Native Americans are required, what's the threshold, the tipping point number that would necessitate a change or recognition and admission the word is inappropriate?

Not sure we ever took that poll to make sure there was a vast majority of African Americans who disapproved the use of the "N-word" before deciding that was inappropriate.

Posted · Report post

I am a Native American and I couldn't care less. It's just the name of a freaking team. If the owner wants to show his arrogance let him. There are uneducated, bigoted people everywhere, from all races. I pay none of them any attention. I think it's pure politics and stupid. However, the name is very racist and demeaning. I remember my late grandfather had a strong dislike for Washington because of their name and what it meant.

The word had as much racial hatred and meaning behind it as the N word. And Native Americans were mistreated just as bad, if not worse, as Africans. Trying to argue the name isn't racist shows your stupidity and lack of knowledge.

edit:

To what seems like every other person in NC who says, "I'm Native American. I'm part Cherokee."

No, you're not Native American. Just because your grandmother's sister's daughter slept with a man who was 1/4 Cherokee doesn't make you "part Indian." The Cherokee Indians are one of the smallest tribes around, but talking to people around here you'd think they were the biggest tribe in North America.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I voted no only because I think it is debatable how derogatory and offensive the name is to American Indians. While congress has been up in arms about it and some of the American Indian political figures have been banging the drum, I suspect your average American Indian is not offended in the least. I am not suggesting none are, but it is hardly the slur that African Americans and Jews endure.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/professional/football/redskins/article_26b0f8d8-eb22-52f0-87df-c05e24bbfc0e.html

You might want to reread what you linked. None of what you linked had any quote saying the name is not offensive. They simply said it does not offend them. Words mean nothing to them. They do not give a fuck what people say or think of them. But just because it doesn't offend them doesn't mean it is not a racial term.

Posted · Report post

None of what you linked had any quote saying the name is not offensive. They simply said it does not offend them. 

?

Posted · Report post

Calling someone a N***** because of their skin color is racist.

Calling someone a Redskin because of their skin color is not racist.

Brilliant.

Posted · Report post

?

My best friend, who is black, takes no offense to the word N*****. Therefore, by your logic, N***** is not an offensive word.

Posted · Report post

Aren't there much more important things to expend time and effort on?

Posted · Report post

If it wasn't such a big deal, why are there people who draw a line in the sand when it comes to changing the name?  I can understand the feeling of trying to keep tradition or what have you.  Yet even if I were a die hard fan of the team, I would still see the word itself as a negative term.  I see an opportunity here to come up with a very unique name for the team, a significant name.  A name that comes from something native americans treasure.  So you can keep the theme of the team when it comes to the natives, yet get rid of what is definitely a slur in today's language.

Going back to something I said earlier, native americans aren't really in the forefront of mainstream american society.  Our mindset is white, black, hispanic (a lot of diversity in this group, and there are many here who are descendants of native americans of the southern continent), and asian.  To most, native americans are a historical people, a past generation.  It also seems like most full blooded native americans today, are isolated from the rest of the country.  As though they run their own country within this one.  I would love to see more full blooded natives in the mainstream eye.  I see a new, unique name for this team as that opportunity.

Posted · Report post

My best friend, who is black, takes no offense to the word N*****. Therefore, by your logic, N***** is not an offensive word.

What was my logic again exactly?

Posted · Report post

What was my logic again exactly?

If you're too ignorant to know what you are saying, well....