Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Should Washington change the their name?   48 votes

1. 1. Should Washington change the their name?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

138 posts in this topic

Posted

honestly how does a human say "i am against political correctness" like it's a fuging political position or something that actually requires a modicum of thought and walk upright at the same time

Guess what state theyre from

post-7-0-58698400-1381771176_thumb.jpg

Posted

Posted

I suppose you're one of those people that think everybody deserves a trophy for participation, or that maybe we shouldn't be keeping score at the kid's ball games because little Jimmy would be too upset if his team lost. 

Like this and with the manhole/personhole thing Kurb mentioned, people's immediate reaction to the term 'political correctness' tends to be to think of some petty and juvenile thing that they heard someone, somewhere wanted to do in the name of it. All that serves to do is muddy the water for actual important issues. Not wanting an NFL team named after an ethnic slur is not the same as giving everyone a trophy, why would someone even draw a comparison like that?

Don't argue against an entire concept and try to shoehorn a bunch of unrelated things into it. Things should be addressed on their own individual merit.

"The Redskins should keep their name because political correctness and everybody gets a trophy" makes no fuging sense.

Wanting to change a racist name is not a sign of the pussification of America.

The unwillingness to consider and confront the realities of our culture that need to be fixed is a sign of the pussification of America.

3 people like this

Posted

This debate on the name of this team is not a PC issue... it really isn't. tbqh I've never really even given it any thought before this discussion started this year... My dad is a huge 'skins fan, always has been. It never really occurred to me that the name might be offensive to some... now that I've actually realized what it is, yeah, it's pretty offensive. They need to change it.

1 person likes this

Posted

The unwillingness to consider and confront the realities of our culture that need to be fixed is a sign of the pussification of America.

Confronting reality is the biggest challenge facing our country today.  

Especially for those in society who believe it is time to "take America back", like fifty or one-hundred years back.  

Back to a time when everyone knew their place and didn't get so uppity... a time before PC. 

A time when women stayed at home, gays stayed in the closet, Negros stayed on their side of town, wetbacks stayed in Mexico and "Redskins" was still an acceptable name for a football team.

Times They are a-Changin', deal with it grandpa.

http://youtu.be/vCWdCKPtnYE

Bob_Dylan_-_The_Times_They_Are_a-Changin

http://youtu.be/vCWdCKPtnYE

Posted

I think there's more non native Americans upset with the name than there are actual native Americans.  Where was it that stated that only 10% native Americans found the teams name offensive?    Anyways, we keep trying so hard to not be offensive to people...which isn't bad mind you, but the most effective thing for all of man kind is to encourage and promote the value of learning how to not be offended.  We dont seem to do that. I mean we encourage people to be offended. Thats what seems like is going on here, and thats more cancerous than any word or name. There should be more respect for the 90% that are not offended.  Lets find out why they are not offended and then lets learn and strive to be like them. its a much more positive direction!

Posted

probably because whites pretty much wiped them out and outnumber them 100000 to 1

Posted

I voted no, but I was thinking more along the lines of being forced to change it, I don't want to see that.

But, yes, changing it probably is the correct thing to do.

i think i can agree with this. a forced change is a precedent i don't think has been breached, and probably shouldn't, but i like to think things like team names are a reflection of the society in which they exist; "redskins" certainly reflected american society a century ago, and the fact that it no longer does (or shouldn't in an increasing number of american eyes) should lead to a collective desire to abandon it as a relic of the past.

Posted

but if i can't denigrate the multiple native cultures that have been assimilated and destroyed with the name of a sports team, then i don't wanna be 'merican

Posted

probably because whites pretty much wiped them out and outnumber them 100000 to 1

Which is true and tragic.   Today, when I think of Native Americans, I think of proud and strong willed people.  Living symbols of our land.  Seems fitting that 90% of them dont give a damn about it. I wouldnt be surprised if its almost humorous to most of them that theres such a big deal over it. They might even see a little arrogance there too. (how dare we speak for them) I dont know, I just cant picture any native american boo  hooing over a name....and Im sure they wouldnt their people to be pictured that by anyone either.   But thanks to our lovely media and this whole stupid thing, its how they are being portrayed unfortunately....at least this is how I see it.....And thats worse than the name redskins, which by the way is something meant for a team and fans to rally behind and be proud of.  "Redskins" may not be PC, but if your worried about being offensive..be mindful of the "boo hooing indian over a name" image being put forth, and compare that what the image the  washington redskins mascot puts forth and maybe reevaluate.

Posted

Where was it that stated that only 10% native Americans found the teams name offensive?

That's a pretty significant portion of a demographic, honestly. Gather up 10 natives and at least 1 will find it offensive? Plenty enough for me.

Posted

I wonder how many fat people it takes before you fine one whos offended by the Giants?...