Photo
- - - - -

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Washington change the their name? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Washington change the their name?

1. Yes (19 votes [39.58%])

Percentage of vote: 39.58%

2. No (29 votes [60.42%])

Percentage of vote: 60.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Calling someone a N***** because of their skin color is racist.

Calling someone a Redskin because of their skin color is not racist.

Brilliant.

#32 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

?

My best friend, who is black, takes no offense to the word N*****. Therefore, by your logic, N***** is not an offensive word.

#33 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Aren't there much more important things to expend time and effort on?

#34 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

If it wasn't such a big deal, why are there people who draw a line in the sand when it comes to changing the name?  I can understand the feeling of trying to keep tradition or what have you.  Yet even if I were a die hard fan of the team, I would still see the word itself as a negative term.  I see an opportunity here to come up with a very unique name for the team, a significant name.  A name that comes from something native americans treasure.  So you can keep the theme of the team when it comes to the natives, yet get rid of what is definitely a slur in today's language.

Going back to something I said earlier, native americans aren't really in the forefront of mainstream american society.  Our mindset is white, black, hispanic (a lot of diversity in this group, and there are many here who are descendants of native americans of the southern continent), and asian.  To most, native americans are a historical people, a past generation.  It also seems like most full blooded native americans today, are isolated from the rest of the country.  As though they run their own country within this one.  I would love to see more full blooded natives in the mainstream eye.  I see a new, unique name for this team as that opportunity.

#35 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

My best friend, who is black, takes no offense to the word N*****. Therefore, by your logic, N***** is not an offensive word.

What was my logic again exactly?

#36 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

What was my logic again exactly?

If you're too ignorant to know what you are saying, well....

#37 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

If they want to then sure.  If they choose not to then I am fine with that too.

#38 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

I slept with an "Indian" (feather not dot) chick once and got some of her sauce on my winky...

That makes me part Native American!

Right?

#39 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

You know who should be offended?

Saints

Patriots

Cowboys

Vikings

Dolphins

#40 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationAspin, Colorado

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

The World Wildlife Association of Jaguars should be protesting weekly due to the way they are disrespected and represented by Jacksonville. 

#41 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

A lot of people out there (whether jokingly on here or not) bring up other teams such as the Cowboys, Seahawks, etc. and relate that to the Redskins name.  Saying people are offended by those names and want to change them to.  If we change Washington's name, we should change all the names.  The argument is totally baseless and absolutely reaching to the point of the edge of space.  How can you begin to compare names like the "Seahawks" to the "Redskins"?  Does anyone want to seriously attempt to defend this argument?

#42 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

A lot of people out there (whether jokingly on here or not) bring up other teams such as the Cowboys, Seahawks, etc. and relate that to the Redskins name.  

Has anyone actually related the Seahawks to the Redskins?

#43 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone actually related the Seahawks to the Redskins?

I heard people put them into a similar context when it comes to changing the name because someone might be offended.  Ultimately they equated names.  If Seahawks isn't a negative name, then neither is Redskins.  If Redskins is an offensive term, then Seahawks is equally offensive and should be changed.

#44 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

It is enevitable. There are actually a couple people thinks others find it offensive.  Just like the rebel flag, they will keep hacking away until it's done.  Also, the name change means a windfall in oil company like profits for new gear sales.  Every one needs new hats and jerseys.

#45 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,014 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

I heard people put them into a similar context when it comes to changing the name because someone might be offended.  Ultimately they equated names.  If Seahawks isn't a negative name, then neither is Redskins.  If Redskins is an offensive term, then Seahawks is equally offensive and should be changed.

There is a slippery slope. What percentage of a group need to be offended for there to be a change?

1%?

10%?

50%?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.