Photo
- - - - -

How do you feel about the Panthers playing in merry old England?

Best Answer OriginalPantherDan, 28 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I make it to one Panthers game a year (dammit, I live in Richmond, VA) so it's not like I'm missing attending a game by sending the Panthers to England, but I still don't like the idea of it.  Not a bit.  Goodell should die for pushing this crap.  If the NFL is so hell-bent on expanding the NFL fan base, it needs to begin with a league BASED in Europe, not pushing teams around the globe…a global league is impossibly complex and unworkable unless we also implement the as-yet-uninvented teleportation device to alleviate transportation nightmares.  And as I recall, there WAS an NFL Europe aka World League of American Football, and it went belly-up. So no, it's a bad idea, as is European football (and dentition).

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,261 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Same as I feel about any other team playing in London.

Hate it and think it's a waste of time.

If you want to do that stuff, do it in the preseason.

#62 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I do think it's kind of funny that London keeps getting some of the worst games of the week.

#63 FutureDynasty

FutureDynasty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Mexico City has the highest population than any other city in the western hemisphere and people there seem to like the NFL a lot.  They should get a team before any other country.

#64 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

People shouldn't underestimate the european nfl fans. They are a lot of passionate fans there as well as casual fans just like america. Obviously the US has more passionate fans but that doesn't mean european fans are less passionate if they fall in love with a team or the game itself. nfl.uk has a dedicated forum for european fans and it is very active. I welcome them all especially euro panther fans.

#65 ElIngeniero

ElIngeniero

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hope it happens. It would take some serious scheduling but make it a Tuesday night game just before the two playing teams have their byes. They get extra time to accommodate the flying.

They are professionals. Many business pros fly around the world weekly and land/negotiate mega deals for much less money than these guys make.

While we are at it, make the season 18 games long with 2 preseason games. More revenue and PSL owners get to see an extra game each year.

"Sending money oversees" is a bit shortsighted. Nfl and it's teams are American owned--drawing more world money into American companies is only a good thing.

#66 NCCU_Panthers

NCCU_Panthers

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I feel like when the league does this they should have some deal with American Airlines for cheap airfare for the "home team" fans. Like a 250 dollar Charlotte-London RT Special thats valid for travel on Friday and Monday. 

#67 Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,840 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would go. I've got a ton of family over there that I haven't seen in a long time, so it'd be a good excuse.

#68 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,778 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

If we go there, my wife and I will go there. I love London, it's an easy country to get there and back from, it would be fantastic to represent my team there and meet all the European fans there.

#69 Vampire the buffet slayer

Vampire the buffet slayer

Fat Alice's Dietitian

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,341 posts
  • Locationunder an aluminum hat

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm watching Braveheart.

Prolly the best movie ever.

Fug the red coats.

Also, William Wallace would have made a great football player. He had the war paint thing down.

#70 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,356 posts
  • LocationSafety Harbor, FL

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

The whole thing is beyond stupid.  Although it is not as stupid as the idea of a team in London.

#71 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I didn't read any of the op, nor care to follow the many pages...  but there isn't one good reason to send a team overseas, especially on a permanent basis...

#72 OriginalPantherDan

OriginalPantherDan

Fan in Richmond, VA

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:38 PM   Best Answer

I make it to one Panthers game a year (dammit, I live in Richmond, VA) so it's not like I'm missing attending a game by sending the Panthers to England, but I still don't like the idea of it.  Not a bit.  Goodell should die for pushing this crap.  If the NFL is so hell-bent on expanding the NFL fan base, it needs to begin with a league BASED in Europe, not pushing teams around the globe…a global league is impossibly complex and unworkable unless we also implement the as-yet-uninvented teleportation device to alleviate transportation nightmares.  And as I recall, there WAS an NFL Europe aka World League of American Football, and it went belly-up. So no, it's a bad idea, as is European football (and dentition).

#73 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

There has been games in Mexico before. If the Panthers came here I would be ecstatic. They would more than likely play in Mexico city. That's far but id go.

wait, I respect this guy...  I at least hope he will provide tequila shots as Panther fans require..  yanno, 4 winning seasons in 30+..  give or take...  

#74 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

the original pantherdan was the poo...  LIAG may still have him caged in the basement, but we will not speak of such situations...

#75 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,761 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Mexico? Did anyone remember The 49er-Cardinal... or Bear(?) game a couple years back at Azteca Stadium. It was fudging sold out with tons of screaming fans (reminded me of Seattle). The players on both sides had trouble communicating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com