Photo
- - - - -

How do you feel about the Panthers playing in merry old England?

Best Answer OriginalPantherDan, 28 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I make it to one Panthers game a year (dammit, I live in Richmond, VA) so it's not like I'm missing attending a game by sending the Panthers to England, but I still don't like the idea of it.  Not a bit.  Goodell should die for pushing this crap.  If the NFL is so hell-bent on expanding the NFL fan base, it needs to begin with a league BASED in Europe, not pushing teams around the globe…a global league is impossibly complex and unworkable unless we also implement the as-yet-uninvented teleportation device to alleviate transportation nightmares.  And as I recall, there WAS an NFL Europe aka World League of American Football, and it went belly-up. So no, it's a bad idea, as is European football (and dentition).

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#51 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• LocationLa Grange, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

It'd give me another excuse to go to London, so hell, why not?

#52 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Most are probably expats.

No quite the opposite. Having lived in the UK I can tell you there are tons of casual fans. The NFL is seen as a novelty to some but they do enjoy it.

When i was in school there like 20 of the students stayed up until 4:00 am or whatever to watch the Superbowl.

#53 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Don't care where they play.  I just want them to win.

They make enough to play wherever they're asked.  

#54 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

No quite the opposite. Having lived in the UK I can tell you there are tons of casual fans. The NFL is seen as a novelty to some but they do enjoy it.

When i was in school there like 20 of the students stayed up until 4:00 am or whatever to watch the Superbowl.

Most was probably pushing it but there are a ton in the UK. I spent a good chunk of the Summer in London and they do know more about the NFL than we do about "Soccer" and Cricket. If you can follow and understand Cricket you can understand the NFL.

They keep trying to force it on the UK but after spending several months in Mexico I was surprised how much they follow the sport. Every newspaper has an NFL section with at about 2 pages of coverage. Put a team in Mexico City and it would thrive and it wouldn't even be in a time zone we don't have. I found Mexico City to be incredible.

#55 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Haven't read the whole thread, but London is my favorite city in the world.  I love going there.

• csx PIE'd this

#56 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Most was probably pushing it but there are a ton in the UK. I spent a good chunk of the Summer in London and they do know more about the NFL than we do about "Soccer" and Cricket. If you can follow and understand Cricket you can understand the NFL.

They keep trying to force it on the UK but after spending several months in Mexico I was surprised how much they follow the sport. Every newspaper has an NFL section with at about 2 pages of coverage. Put a team in Mexico City and it would thrive and it wouldn't even be in a time zone we don't have. I found Mexico City to be incredible.

I've heard it is a great city and not really that dangerous. Mexico City makes much more sense than London. Put it in a divison with Southwest teams and the exposure you get on both sides would be huge.

Speaking of cricket, that is a great game (not the 7 day stuff) and i am surprised there has been an effort to get it televised more over here.

#57 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Haven't read the whole thread, but London is my favorite city in the world.  I love going there.

I like it too but the weather wears on me.

#58 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

The NFL is making a big mistake if they intend to sell out for world wide domination. They will alienate their meat and potatoes if they send American players and American dollars to another country.

I would rather seen the NFL in Mexico rather than England.

#59 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

They need to be worried about preserving the game in the face of health concerns. Parents are holding their children out of football at the youth ranks and they think they can spread it to another country? They need to worry about preserving what they have.

#60 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've never been to England. This would be my excuse to finally go. I'd be ecstatic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users