#1 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

A WHOLE PIE!

I was rewatching the Giants game (side note, where can I buy more hand lotion?) when I was struck by the wonderful play design on Brandon LaFell's second touchdown. Some have mentioned his great stutter-step, but how many of you noticed that Cam perfectly timed a pump fake with LaFell's stutter to sell CB Aaron Ross even more on the pseudo-deep in?

L9JIlCK.png

First off, this play came on a 1st and 10, the previous play converting the down on a Steve Smith catch. Pre-snap, Cam recognizes the single-high safety look, as the Giants have positioned the strong safety Ryan Mundy inside, and the impending linebacker blitz, so he knows he has LaFell on the outside of the field. He communicates the information with a hand signal to LaFell and to Smith, who are looking back at Cam.

s3HaVX6.png

The Giants rush five, and the offensive line each pick up a man and keep the pressure away from Cam who has a perfect pocket to step up and throw. LaFell executes a fantastic stutter step that completely freezes Aaron Ross, who is looking back at Cam. At that exact instant, Cam pumps the ball, further selling the idea that LaFell is about to cut his route short, enticing Ross to try to cut off and intercept a pass that will never come. To Ross' credit, he actually recovers very well from the fake, but the moment of hesitation leaves him flat-footed and trailing the ball as Cam lofts a gentle throw to the back of the endzone that allows LaFell to run under it.

CjyQFlG.png

What is so neat about this play is that it shows that both Cam and LaFell recognized the opportunity the defensive front presented them and worked in concert to manufacture separation and a safe throw for a touchdown. This is real progress in Cam's development as a quarterback and LaFell's development as a receiver, and hopefully we will see more of the these types of plays in the future.

#2 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

wal mart.

and yes....it was neat. :)

#3 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

This is the "magical" year three where every good little QB gets his wings and begins to blossom into the player he will be.

I don't believe that crap but this particular play does seem to indicate growth. 

Nice write up. 

I would say I would read it again but.......I already have.  Not sure if I will read it a third go 'round but I might as I like pictures.  Know what I mean?

#4 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,890 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

I don't remember who, but there were a number of guys that insisted that this was a "bad" or "lucky" throw by Cam.

Yes... yes they did.

#5 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,797 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I don't remember who, but there were a number of guys that insisted that this was a "bad" or "lucky" throw by Cam.

Yes... yes they did.

And complained about LaFell's "body catch"

#6 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,398 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thought you were going to mention the Moose like celly at the end

#7 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

I don't remember who, but there were a number of guys that insisted that this was a "bad" throw by Cam.

Cam said after the game it was a bad throw.

#8 OriginalPantherDan

OriginalPantherDan

Fan in Richmond, VA

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Get the feeling that Newton to LaFell is the future of the Panthers, just as Delhomme to Smith once was...know what I mean?

#9 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Get the feeling that Newton to LaFell is the future of the Panthers, just as Delhomme to Smith once was...know what I mean?

Well, with the market being the way it is now-a-days, better be careful if he has a good year this year and next.  As the performance starts to show the price begins to rise. 

How many more years do we have LaFell under contract?

#10 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

How many more years do we have LaFell under contract?

He's a free agent at the end of this season

#11 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

A great read and/or decision is more important than a great throw.

#12 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Cam said after the game it was a bad throw.

Cam likes to exaggerate his failures. It could have been a little better placed but it wasn't a bad one by any stretch.

#13 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Cam likes to exaggerate his failures. It could have been a little better placed but it wasn't a bad one by any stretch.

Agreed.

#14 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

• HUDDLER
  • 4,433 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

He's a free agent at the end of this season

Yes.  I knew this.

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,030 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Not really.  I mean Lafell might end up being a good receiver, but I can see him ever being the threat that Smith was. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com