Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bringing Barner and Stewart into the mix

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Hell, all of them don't have to be on the field at the same time, for that matter. Tolbert, Stewart and Barner could cause massive mismatches alone.

Posted

Hell, all of them don't have to be on the field at the same time, for that matter. Tolbert, Stewart and Barner could cause massive mismatches alone.

the defense could line up 4 linemen 4 linebackers and 3 safeties, so no.

backyard games are so fun!!

Posted

Stewart is the better receiver, so I'd like to see more screens to him to get him in the open field.   I'd say use Stew early and often and then use DWill once they are worn out.  We need to use Tolbert a bit more too.  Not sure where Barner fits in.

If Stew is healthy he's a better RB than DWill, it's just the fact, but we'll see and I doubt he'll be completely ready so we'll ease him in.

Posted

also illegal formation but who cares

You can put two on the line at TE.

Posted

RR isn't sure that Stew will be ready by week seven.Half the season almost gone by then.Don't know if this dude just doesn't heal well or what his story is. When asked about it, either no comment or won't talk about it.I think the three guys you see this week is gonna be it.

Posted

I'm really interested to see how they use Barner but I get a feeling it will be sparingly until he proves he can hold onto the football and make the most of his opportunities. I'm wondering if he takes over kick off return duties from Armond Smith or if he gets any sort of significant time as a back this week. Have a feeling he will only see 3-5 snaps on offense as he gets back into game shape, gets healthy, and really learns his role in the offense. Would love to see some read-option with Cam and Barner and I think that would be ideal for Kenjon. We need to find creative ways to get Barner in space to really maximize his potential although I liked that he ran low and downhill for a smaller guy in pre-season. He seems really shifty in tight areas and tends to hide behind offensive linemen and always fall forward. 

Posted

I'm really interested to see how they use Barner but I get a feeling it will be sparingly until he proves he can hold onto the football and make the most of his opportunities. I'm wondering if he takes over kick off return duties from Armond Smith or if he gets any sort of significant time as a back this week. Have a feeling he will only see 3-5 snaps on offense as he gets back into game shape, gets healthy, and really learns his role in the offense. Would love to see some read-option with Cam and Barner and I think that would be ideal for Kenjon. We need to find creative ways to get Barner in space to really maximize his potential although I liked that he ran low and downhill for a smaller guy in pre-season. He seems really shifty in tight areas and tends to hide behind offensive linemen and always fall forward.

Why does everyone act like Barner has a fumble issue.

Posted

Just once this season I'd like to see a formation with Cam, Tolbert, DeAngelo, Stewart, Barner and Armond Smith all in the backfield at the same time. It would be insane.

Ah the classic sextuple option.

Posted

Why does everyone act like Barner has a fumble issue.

Because he fumbled on his first touch in pre-season and had a miscommunication with Jimmy that led to another fumble whether it was directly his fault or not. Not saying it is an issue with him but ball-sercurity sealed our fates in one game already and younger backs typically have trouble handling the rock compared to older guys in the league. He also hadn't played football for about a month until last week so who knows if rust and contact will be a factor for him. 

Posted

Glad we're getting Barner and Stewart back..

I'm a little worried about fumbles from the new guys though.  (Stewart is new to the season and has not really had game time in a long time).            Dwill has already dropped the rock that cost us  game and I fully believe that he will not drop the rock again.    I'm not confident that our rookie rb and our rb that just had surgury,  will protect the ball like Dwill, as we move forward.

Posted

Because he fumbled on his first touch in pre-season and had a miscommunication with Jimmy that led to another fumble whether it was directly his fault or not. Not saying it is an issue with him but ball-sercurity sealed our fates in one game already and younger backs typically have trouble handling the rock compared to older guys in the league. He also hadn't played football for about a month until last week so who knows if rust and contact will be a factor for him.

Well, Williams has 2 in 3 games and is a vet. Poo happens.

He probably needs to be worked in slowly and take some shots to get use to it again.

I think Barner has potential to be our best overall RB. I hope to see him worked in over the next few weeks

Posted

Use Barner exactly how New Orleans uses Sproles:  catching passes in space, beating LB's with quickness

Use Stewart exactly how we used him back with "DOUBLE TROUBLE". 

profit

2 people like this