• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Will ACA make insurance cheaper or is this a fallacy of wishful thinking?
Everyone on the huddle needs to read "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahnman, it's a good read.

With every argument I have seen on the ACA, I take a step back. Comparing various healthcare systems with every country having a different take on who bares the responsibility for insurances, the private or public sector or a mix, is like comparing apples to oranges even though the common denominator is healthcare? Politicians forget: larger populations bare larger risk, every country has a different lifestyle that affect personal health, availability of doctors/healthcare outlets vary, the availability of new technological advanced treatments vary, the availability of resources in general, the dna of the individual, the economic status of an individual, the risk-moral nature of a society/individual and the list goes on.

I think people are discounting elements that make up healthcare to much. Another thing , can the ACA be a situation similar to the too big to fail.

When people talk about too big to fail, we already forget about the black swans that caused the failure to appropriate risk. The tail-risk were far larger and more dangerous then businesses expected. Taking the same logic, could the same thing happen with the ACA? Sure but who really knows. When the unhealthy crowd outweighs the healthy, a recession, or a epidemic happens what is going to really happen? Will the ACA have enough flexibility to handle these situations?

There is to many what-ifs for an economy that is not as strong as what is being presented imo. What is everybodies take? Are we ready for the ACA? What uncertainties concern you about the ACA?

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

Them death panels

#3 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Them death panels

Lol

#4 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,021 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

It will be cheaper for some and more expensive for others but the biggest thing is people who previously would not have access to health care like those with per existing conditions now can and the cost for older people will absolutely go down.

What Obamacare is doing is no different than what large pool insurers have already been doing for years for large companies and state and federal government. There is already numerous outlines to how it will work and it has worked successfully for many years.

It may be more pricey for some but it really simplifies the whole process for everyone. I think once the dust settles and initial glitches get resolved and everything stabilizes consumers are going to really like this.

No more trap doors or small print, you will.know what you are getting and what exactly you are paying for.

#5 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

It will be cheaper for some and more expensive for others but the biggest thing is people who previously would not have access to health care like those with per existing conditions now can and the cost for older people will absolutely go down.

What Obamacare is doing is no different than what large pool insurers have already been doing for years for large companies and state and federal government. There is already numerous outlines to how it will work and it has worked successfully for many years.

It may be more pricey for some but it really simplifies the whole process for everyone. I think once the dust settles and initial glitches get resolved and everything stabilizes consumers are going to really like this.

No more trap doors or small print, you will.know what you are getting and what exactly you are paying for.

Yep. My brother's girlfriend's mother falls into this category. She had cancer years ago and nobody will let her buy healthcare because of the risk even though she has been cancer free for a long time.

She's a retired or semi-retired lawyer with a high income, so its not like she simply couldn't afford it. She literally couldn't get it. Now that changes.

#6 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Good points, I feel that the ACA will have unintended consequence and moral hazard. The ACA will put a strain on budgets and herd people slowly to government managed healthcare

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Just put on your moral hazard blinkers, problem solved

#8 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Will ACA make insurance cheaper or is this a fallacy of wishful thinking?

I think everybody should know the answer to that.  You have to pay for the program somehow.

I got my new BCBS 2014 rate yesterday.

2012 $555.61 / mo.
2013 $596.84 / mo.
2014 $740.91 / mo.

$5500 deductible. (up from $5000)

That's tough.  Totaly unfair I have to pay for the freeloaders !!!!!

edit:  and that is the "Bronze" level.  The LOWEST level of coverage.

#9 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

Dude, you can't be serious.  That is DEFINATELY NOT the case.  I know for a FACT.  See my rates posted.  And that's with NO claims the past 2 years !!!

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

GOooooooood Moorninnng Obamabahts!!!!!

http://www.theguardi...avoid-obamacare

Other retailers, such as Trader Joe's and Home Depot have said they will no longer provide medical coverage for part-time employees, and will shift them instead to the public healthcare exchanges which open Tuesday, 1 October. Some employers have said their health costs will rise as a result of various provisions of the ACA, which takes full effect in 2015, when larger companies have to provide health benefits to full time workers or pay a $2,000 per-person fine.

Have a happy "you can keep your health insurance" day!

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,055 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Dude, you can't be serious.  That is DEFINATELY NOT the case.  I know for a FACT.  See my rates posted.  And that's with NO claims the past 2 years !!!

Are you a senior citizen?  If so, seems you are getting ripped off.  My parents pay $175 a month per personwith no deductible through AARP's United Health Care plan.  It covers about 100% of everything. 

#12 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Are you a senior citizen?  If so, seems you are getting ripped off.  My parents pay $175 a month per personwith no deductible through AARP's United Health Care plan.  It covers about 100% of everything. 

63.  So no Medicare.

Believe me no one has shopped more for insurance than me since retiring at 51.  I've been thru Cigna, World Ins., Coventry, Celtic, BCBS.  You can get an individual policy but most are crap coverage.

World (I believe it was) went out of business after something like 104 years in business strickly because of Obamacare.  I was with them when they went out, and they turned me over to Coventry.  That was a piece of crap coverage.

The simple logic of Obamacare is someone has to pay for those that WON'T pay.

#13 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

I assume that's for a Medicare supplement ???

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,055 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I assume that's for a Medicare supplement ???

Yes.

I guess the years before one becomes eligible for one of the medicare supplement plans tend to be the most expensive. 

#15 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

My employer has us on a new high deductible plan ($3,000) effective 10/1. Just for the heck of it I went to the exchange site last night and shopped the different packages.  Even with my new (painful) high deductible plan I'm much better off than the gov't plan. The best I could do for my family was 75% higher premium and a $10,000/$20,000 deductible.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com