Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Healthcare

149 posts in this topic

Posted

Are you a senior citizen?  If so, seems you are getting ripped off.  My parents pay $175 a month per personwith no deductible through AARP's United Health Care plan.  It covers about 100% of everything. 

I assume that's for a Medicare supplement ???

Posted

I assume that's for a Medicare supplement ???

Yes.

I guess the years before one becomes eligible for one of the medicare supplement plans tend to be the most expensive. 

Posted

My employer has us on a new high deductible plan ($3,000) effective 10/1. Just for the heck of it I went to the exchange site last night and shopped the different packages.  Even with my new (painful) high deductible plan I'm much better off than the gov't plan. The best I could do for my family was 75% higher premium and a $10,000/$20,000 deductible.   

Posted

The simple logic of Obamacare is someone has to pay for those that WON'T pay.

That is simply not true. As a matter of fact, this is less true because of Obamacare.

Some people are paying more so that people who weren't allowed any medical insurance because of medical conditions can now get it and insurance companies actually have to pay claims instead of default denying them. Not because of poor people getting insurance.

1 person likes this

Posted

Dude, you can't be serious. That is DEFINATELY NOT the case. I know for a FACT. See my rates posted. And that's with NO claims the past 2 years !!!

Are you getting insurance through the exchanges that started Tuesday?

Posted

That is dimply not true. As a matter of fact, this is less true because of Obamacare.

Some people are paying more so that people who weren't allowed any medical insurance because of medical conditions can now get it and insurance companies actually have to pay claims instead of default denying them. Not because of poor people getting insurance.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid.  :nurse:

Posted

won't pay, Firefox, or can't pay?

If someone won't pay, they are forced to or receive a penalty under Obamacare.

edit: or a tax ;)

Posted

Are you getting insurance through the exchanges that started Tuesday?

Hell no !!!!

Hundreds MORE dollars, higher deductibles, and worse coverage?  No Thanks.

Posted

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. :nurse:

It is the truth. Poor people have always been allowed to get insurance. They just couldn't afford it.

Poor people are now being subsidized by the government. It won't change the premiums.

Your taxes will be paying for them which some people may have a problem with, but premiums will have nothing to do with poor people.

Providing insurance for people whom are already sick will impact premiums however.

Posted

won't pay, Firefox, or can't pay?

If someone won't pay, they are forced to or receive a penalty under Obamacare.

edit: or a tax ;)

The "Tax Penalty"  is FAR LESS than what the insurance cost.  So like I said ... Those that WON'T pay.

Posted

My employer has us on a new high deductible plan ($3,000) effective 10/1. Just for the heck of it I went to the exchange site last night and shopped the different packages.  Even with my new (painful) high deductible plan I'm much better off than the gov't plan. The best I could do for my family was 75% higher premium and a $10,000/$20,000 deductible.   

That's pretty good.  The high deductible plan at our office is $6000 for a family.

Posted

I don't understand why everyone is so against paying a bit more so people can get healthcare?  I've brought this up many times and no one can argue it, but I have to pay taxes for other peoples' kids (I don't have any yet) to go to school, as do many others, but no one is complaining about that or throwing a hissy fit?  In fact, we pay for a lot of things like this, most of which are FAR LESS important than healthcare.    I feel the reason is because of repub vs democrat nonsense, as usual.   If it wasn't used a political ploy by the right it wouldn't be hated as much.  Things like this are for the greater good, much like education taxes, road taxes, defense funding, etc, we were just late to the game without providing healthcare.  Reason?  The big money that hospitals and insurance companies make.    Now they can't deny preexisting, put a dollar amount on benefits, etc.  Also now hospitals can't justify charging $50 for an aspirin and things like this, why?  Because their excuse for these insane charges were because it made up for the people they had to help WITHOUT coverage, but when everyone has coverage (or is paying a "fine" to go into it) how can hospitals now justify this?  They can't.  This is how in the long run, it should be cheaper.  

We just need people to stop fighting and try to make it better.  Healthcare shouldn't be a tool used to get what a party wants.  It's 2013.  It should be offered.

4 people like this