76 replies to this topic

#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,799 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

rivera wants a scat back. he's wanted one since he got here.

barner will be used.

#32 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Ten bucks says Shula runs him between the tackles on third down. Guy should clearly be in the slot.

#33 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Cam Newton throws horrible screens....I don't blame Shula.

Plus, they talked about it in NFL Sirius yesterday about how those WR screens shouldn't be used like they were a few short years ago.....so heavily used in the league DBs blow them up at much higher rates now

Dwill is the main culprit on blown screens. He was never good at them even when Delhomme was QB. Yet Newton does need to take some juice off them as well. Screen will pick up if stew ever recovers.

#34 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

I agree with those that say Barner gets eased back in and only sees a few touches. I also see us running the ball quite a bit.  Arizona has not seen a top 15 running attack or a mobile quarterback.  I don't think they can stop Ginn either.  Sure double Smitty and Ginn burns you deep.  Go after Ginn deep and Smitty kills you over the middle and on intermediate routes.  Olsen should have a field day.  Sure Washington is back but this is his first game back, lets see if he is in football shape given you can't have that many padded practices these days.

I may be overly optimistic but honestly I have a good feeling this game.  We may start off slow but I think we are ahead at half like we have been all year.  Only this time Palmer isn't Manuel or Wilson.  He is going to be more like Eli.  

#35 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I agree with those that say Barner gets eased back in and only sees a few touches. I also see us running the ball quite a bit.  Arizona has not seen a top 15 running attack or a mobile quarterback.  I don't think they can stop Ginn either.  Sure double Smitty and Ginn burns you deep.  Go after Ginn deep and Smitty kills you over the middle and on intermediate routes.  Olsen should have a field day.  Sure Washington is back but this is his first game back, lets see if he is in football shape given you can't have that many padded practices these days.

I may be overly optimistic but honestly I have a good feeling this game.  We may start off slow but I think we are ahead at half like we have been all year.  Only this time Palmer isn't Manuel or Wilson.  He is going to be more like Eli.  

I would say Palmer is far less mobile than Eli. Our Dline should have another career day. I agree on Ginn and Smitty. However, I don't see anybody in their secondary that can keep up with Ginn on a deep route.

#36 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

After watching Sproles rack up 2 td's and over 100 yards in the FIRST HALF Monday night, I couldn't help but think about the possibilities with Barner.

That said, we still have the Shula-meister running the show, so who knows.

Thought the exact same thing

#37 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,294 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Chico and Cam both were behind the mike, being asked questions @ Barner and there was little evidence that Barner is to be eased into this game.  Not saying he gets 30 carries and 15 targets but you guys might want to watch the interviews.  Right or wrong to us, sounds like Barner's coming out party is to occur in Phoenix.

Ride the lightning Kenjon....and rumble, young man, rumble.

#38 Fade2BlackAndBlue

Fade2BlackAndBlue

ICE UP SON

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationStanley NC

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Just don't fumble the damn ball barner

#39 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

Dwill is the main culprit on blown screens. He was never good at them even when Delhomme was QB. Yet Newton does need to take some juice off them as well. Screen will pick up if stew ever recovers.

Well they were talking about bubble/smoke screens to WRs on Sirius.....not so much RB screens.

Newton nor Williams is great at the RB screen. Newton the worst

#40 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,656 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I agree with those that say Barner gets eased back in and only sees a few touches. I also see us running the ball quite a bit. Arizona has not seen a top 15 running attack or a mobile quarterback. I don't think they can stop Ginn either. Sure double Smitty and Ginn burns you deep. Go after Ginn deep and Smitty kills you over the middle and on intermediate routes. Olsen should have a field day. Sure Washington is back but this is his first game back, lets see if he is in football shape given you can't have that many padded practices these days.

I may be overly optimistic but honestly I have a good feeling this game. We may start off slow but I think we are ahead at half like we have been all year. Only this time Palmer isn't Manuel or Wilson. He is going to be more like Eli.

Both sides of the coin....

We haven't seen a top 15 rush D. They look legit IMO

#41 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

What has happened to the smoke routes?! Smitty and Ginn would excel at these and Chud had good success even with Lafell.

It was bothering me watching the Broncos last week when they make offense seem so easy. Demarius Thomas got great yardage from these passes and keeps the QB in rhythm.

Tried to throw one against Buffalo, Newton threw it 5 feet over Armanti's head. fuged up any rhythm that may have been existing.

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,651 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Both sides of the coin....

We haven't seen a top 15 rush D. They look legit IMO

No that is really overblown. Their defensive ranking is based on facing teams with no running attack averaging 100 or less yards a game.  St Louis is averaging 49. Would you say our rush defense is worse because we rank lower without considering that 2 of our 3 opponents had rushing attacks in the top 5?  

Besides the difference between the top rushing defense and the 20th ranked one is roughly 35 yards a game.  The difference between the top rushing attack and the 20th one is almost 100 yards so defensive rankings are much closer than offensive ones most of the time.

Truth is that come Sunday the truth will be revealed and Arizona will be shown to have an overblown run defense as we rack up well over 100 yards.

#43 Estrada

Estrada

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

I don't see much beyond kick returns.

#44 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

Riveras press conference leads me to believe that Barner won't be put in to any kind of consistent role for a few weeks. Practice means everything to Rivera and Barner finally made it back for those two practices last week and went all out this week. I'd expect to see him in on 6-12 snaps depending on how many times we run versus pass the ball.

Go listen to his press conference and you will get your answer.

I don't believe that we are expecting too much. Kenjon has all the tools to be successful. He also has three guys who have had a lot of success in this league to train him. I expect him to do well when given the chance. But for the love of The Golden Calf of Bristol, carry the ball in your pocket.

#45 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Riveras press conference leads me to believe that Barner won't be put in to any kind of consistent role for a few weeks. Practice means everything to Rivera and Barner finally made it back for those two practices last week and went all out this week. I'd expect to see him in on 6-12 snaps depending on how many times we run versus pass the ball.

Go listen to his press conference and you will get your answer.

I don't believe that we are expecting too much. Kenjon has all the tools to be successful. He also has three guys who have had a lot of success in this league to train him. I expect him to do well when given the chance. But for the love of The Golden Calf of Bristol, carry the ball in your pocket.

Wouldn't it be the best thing if the Panthers WERE GOING TO PLAY BARNER, is keep him a secret, so he's not planned for by Arizona?? So I'm not surprised that Rivera would talk that way.

FYI: 6-12 snaps would certainly be enough (and called a nice surprise) for a rookie that hasn't started all season. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he did play a bit, if he's been practicing since last week. The Panthers need to realize their fortunes are built on their offense (especially in today's NFL). Not Rivera's misguided love for a defense that can never seem to hold late game leads, that even most bad defenses appear to do all the time. So the more the merrier (especially for a team that's not game planning for him). Why not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com