Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sam Mills Fan

Beason traded?

1,055 posts in this topic

Marty is that you?

I know you're taking it in (the trade) and all. 

However, I'm sorry to tell you, Beason couldn't start on any NFL team right now. And he may not even pass the physical, and/or start for long on the Giants (if he does) in the first place. 

That's how bad his situation is, unless he has a miraculous recovery from his micro-surgery and other issues. Beason has barely played the past three seasons, and has been a shell of his former self when he has.

I don't blame you for loving the guy. We all know he's a great guy. But the truth is the truth. 

That's just not true.

If he doesn't pass the physical, he may not even be able to stay in the league. 

Have you watched him play last year and this year? He was a big liability and frankly only got playing time out of respect for what he once was. It's time to face reality.

Edit: FM, you type faster than me. Sorry for stepping on your comment.

I really strongly agree with this argument. I'm not some huge homer or Beason fan, I just think it's impossible to have this logic. You don't give up on a player just because they're not as good as they once were after a significant injury. Tons of great players would be out of every sports league if that were the case.

I agree that there's obviously a chance that this is it, but he COULD start for most NFL teams this season, and he COULD conceivably return to Pro Bowl form within the next few years. It's not Davis Gettis or some other fringe player we're talking about.

He wasn't due to be a free agent.  Please show me where that is because all I see is his contract runs through 2016.  Now the signing bonus you might be right. But that still frees up 6.5 mil

Everything I've read said he would become a FA 5 days into the league year unless we chose to re-sign him before that. In which case we would have no obligation to him beyond this year salary wise. 

But again, dead money doesn't just go away. We are on the hook for that no matter what.

Dude... Can u imagine if you we're busy tonight and missed your "huddle time" and wake up tomorrow am to check the site and u see a 60 somin page thread about a Jon Beason trade? I'd be like WTF just happened??? Squint and wipe my eyes and look again...

Hell, I just checked in 20 min ago, the beginning of this thread is hilarious.

He wasn't due to be a free agent.  Please show me where that is because all I see is his contract runs through 2016.  Now the signing bonus you might be right. But that still frees up 6.5 mil

it was written wierdly, but his contract voids after this year and he's due no more money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jon-beason/

I wouldn't be mad if we traded Beason to another team for a low pick, but the fuggn Giants? Gman doing business with his former team. That's what pisses me off. Bad business.

His former team might have been the only ones willing to up much of anything for Beason.

I made it to the end of this thread. I deserve to go to bed now.

I will say this though. At this point in time, Beast is not a starting LB on any team. He is a shell of his former self. If it were not true, we would not be making this trade. Sad yes, but true.

Getting anything for him now...better than watching him walk. Just a fact.

If we fall apart just because we lost Beast...nah, ain't happening.

Too many emotional fans letting their feelings outweigh their brain...funny and sad at the same time.

Good luck Jon. Thanks for the memories.

1 person likes this

it was written wierdly, but his contract voids after this year and he's due no more money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jon-beason/

Im not going to saying I know for sure because I don't.  The numbers will come out after the trade and we will see what it actually saved or didn't save. 

I really strongly agree with this argument. I'm not some huge homer or Beason fan, I just think it's impossible to have this logic. You don't give up on a player just because they're not as good as they once were after a significant injury. Tons of great players would be out of every sports league if that were the case.

I agree that there's obviously a chance that this is it, but he COULD start for most NFL teams this season, and he COULD conceivably return to Pro Bowl form within the next few years. It's not Davis Gettis or some other fringe player we're talking about.

Jon Beason is a MLB

Jon Beason is not going to play MLB for the Carolina Panthers this year, next year, any year in the future.

Jon Beason was going to be an UFA at the end of the year regardless.

Jon Beason is a MLB

Jon Beason is not going to play MLB for the Carolina Panthers this year, next year, any year in the future.

Jon Beason was going to be an UFA at the end of the year regardless.

Who cares? I never said he should be starting for us right now, but a 7th rounder in compensation is dirt. I would much rather keep him and let him leave at the end of the year regardless. He's depth. If Luke, Chase, or TD goes down, would you really want Jordan Senn stepping in to play week in and week out? Or the packages that we run a 3-4 with?

Or let's put it this way. Would you rather have a 7th round LB starting or Jon Beason? There's an almost zero percent shot that a 7th round LB would be even close to comparable to Beason, even after his injuries. 

And all these people talking about the contract, the contract!! No, we're dumping next to nothing onto the Giants. Most of it is stuck here as dead money regardless.

It just makes no sense to me. Even if we can't get higher value out of a trade, there's literally no point in giving him up for a 7th. To put a 7th rounder into perspective, PFF has Captain Munnerlyn and Geoff Schwartz both ranked as top 8 NFL seventh round picks of the past 5 years.

Jon Beason, or a one in a hundred chance at the great Geoff Schwartz?

Jon Beason, or a one in a hundred chance at the great Geoff Schwartz?

Jon Beason who is not playing...Is behind chase blackburn on the depth chart and is going to be released at the end of this year and is possibly not healthy and may never be healthy again.

or

Someone else at some other position who has the possibility of playing.

1 person likes this