311 replies to this topic

#46 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

He can't deny it. That's tantamount to the dreaded vote of confidence.

He can't ignore it. He'll look weak.

He has to own it. If the Panthers lose today, Rivera has to go. If he doesn't, he has to keep making leaks. He has to be the motherfuger

#47 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

I see no distraction..Rivera already knows he's on the hot seat this season..just win..that's all he has to do..nothing else matters

does he know that? Like, would you say for 100% certain Rivera is that self aware?

Because I'm not sure. 

#48 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

does he know that? Like, would you say for 100% certain Rivera is that self aware?

Because I'm not sure. 

I would hope he isn't that stupid but this is Rivera we're talking about.

#49 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

No they haven't. Gettleman is a real GM. This is his way of sending a message to the coaches and players.

"Win. Now. Or I am gonna fug poo up."

Gettlemen has never been a GM before....

He is an old rookie GM.

The same week they trade away a veteran presence his FO leaks this? On our way to a HUGE road game? Sounds dumb to me...

#50 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,849 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Keeping the seat hot! It will work!

#51 jbland

jbland

Huddle Chiropractor

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

1 candidate knows....they can't reach out to nfl coaches during the season right? Meaning someone outside the nfl has been notified. Any predictions?

I took it as he knows the Panthers are doing background checks on him, not that they have contacted him.

Therefore he could currently be coaching in some capacity in he NFL.

#52 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,910 posts

Maybe this is being leaked to keep the fire lit under Rivera... a story was circulated that Rivera would be fired if we lost to the Giants and guess what, the team responded and hammered the Giants 38-0. These players care about coach Rivera and will fight for him, so maybe Gettleman wants to keep the gun to Rivera's head to get the most out of this team? 

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they were lining up candidates... yes we hammered the Giants but the Giants are a crap team, Gettleman may have already seen enough and decided to move on. 

#53 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

This is either gonna be a distraction or it's gonna motivate Rivera to start taking some chances. Hopefully the latter.  I like it

#54 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,850 posts

just hesitate to immediately assume this is just to "put the pressure on" or some other equally simple narrative.

For every problem there is an obvious, easy to understand, simple answer...and it's wrong. 

#55 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Here is the thing. After week 2 Ron said it was "too early" to be going for it on 4th and 1. Which is the same as saying it's too early to go win a game.

Gettleman just said it's never too early by looking at his options.

#56 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,847 posts
  • LocationSC

I see no distraction..Rivera already knows he's on the hot seat this season..just win..that's all he has to do..nothing else matters

It has the potential to be.

As an example, you're trying to negotiate an extension with Greg Hardy. Hardy, who likes Rivera, hears that you're looking into replacing him. That news may then become a factor for his decision making. Ditto other players who like Rivera (and remember we have a lot of one year contracts on this team). As you get later in the season, guys start thinking about next year anyway, especially if they're gonna be free agents.

Naturally I hope it doesn't become a distraction, but it most definitely could be.

#57 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

This is horrible to have leaked, seems like the FO has already given up on Rivera. Doesn't instill much hope in the fanbase either because it looks like they've given up this year

I don't think anyone is 100% committed to Rivera at this point.  I do think Gettleman truly wants Rivera to step up and be the man to lead this team long-term, but they have to prepare just in case it doesn't happen.  That Giants win was a good start, but if he can't string a few of those together, then the team needs to consider it's options. And the sooner they can start the background work, the quicker they can make a hire if/when Rivera is let go.  But I also wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't intentionally leaked as a shot across Rivera's bow...basically saying you are now in a prove it year, either step up or step aside.  

Gettleman has been here long enough and seen enough to have a pretty solid evaluation of Rivera as a coach (even the things behind the scenes that we fans don't see), so now he's out of second chances and it's win or your out.     

#58 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Maybe this is being leaked to keep the fire lit under Rivera... a story was circulated that Rivera would be fired if we lost to the Giants and guess what, the team responded and hammered the Giants 38-0. These players care about coach Rivera and will fight for him, so maybe Gettleman wants to keep the gun to Rivera's head to get the most out of this team?

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they were lining up candidates... yes we hammered the Giants but the Giants are a crap team, Gettleman may have already seen enough and decided to move on.

RR knows it is playoffs or bust. Doesn't need his seat hotter.

IMO, this is a FO showing lack of faith in everyone when our season is very much still alive

In all honesty, RR is gone even with a playoff appearance. Would have to win in the postseason likely

#59 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Between Chip Kelly struggling and the Schiano fiasco, im scared of college coaches. I still say Lovie Smith, closest thing to a sure bet you will get in awhile. He can be our Andy Reid.

Shaw is more in the mold of Harbaugh and Carroll than he is Schiano or Kelly.

#60 AKPantherFan

AKPantherFan

Cam Can....Can you...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

It has the potential to be.

As an example, you're trying to negotiate an extension with Greg Hardy. Hardy, who likes Rivera, hears that you're looking into replacing him. That news may then become a factor for his decision making. Ditto other players who like Rivera (and remember we have a lot of one year contracts on this team). As you get later in the season, guys start thinking about next year anyway, especially if they're gonna be free agents.

Naturally I hope it doesn't become a distraction, but it most definitely could be.

That makes no sense Mr. Scot. Sorry...

But if those guys decide not to extend based on that, then they are off to an unknown team with a new coach anyways. Assuming they get signed elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.