#121 realstandman

realstandman

Who???

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLewisville NC

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

Nope. Alexander is NOT the DE some fans think he is overall. In fact, Horton might end up being our new LDE. Picking up Peppers in FA doesn't hurt. He's entering the twilight years of his career but he'll still provide enough rush off the edge with Star and Short up the middle.

Horton Who? ;-)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#122 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

Beason is back where he is going to be best, in the middle.  The guy just doesn't have the explosive and sideline to sideline ability to be on the outside, trying to run down running backs who've bounced to the outside, or covering fast TE.  He is still a good tackler, and when he's bookended in the middle and only has to play clean up, he will be fine.

#123 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

What sucks is I knew we'd never get the value Beason was worth given his injury history. Never seems like we get the better end of a trade.

#124 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,700 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:15 AM

I wish Jon the best and hope he gets back to form. The bottom line is that he is much better In the middle, a position Luke now owns in Carolina, so no matter how well he plays for NY it was never going to happen here as long as he was miscast as an OLB. The whole thing was an unusual situation, and the trade was a best-case for both him and the team.

#125 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:23 AM

I'm really hoping we don't end up with the shitty end of this trade.

We will.

Beason is still one of the best MLB in the NFL.

#126 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

If Be as on can remain healthy and get reps this season I would put money on him being a top 5 MLB in 2014. But that is a huge if.

#127 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hardy will be back... what we're doing right now is called "negociating", we're not used to that.

#128 Cj72

Cj72

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Im thinking Beason was going to be gone at the end of the year anyway so getting any pick means the panthers cant get screwed by the trade

#129 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Beason was my favorite defensive player and the real leader of our defense.

Kuelchy is a very good MLB but i don't like when he is overeacting after a bad play.

#130 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,719 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

We will.

Beason is still one of the best MLB in the NFL.

Not really.

The only thing that could potentially make this a bad trade would be for him to be better than Kuechly.

He's not better than Kuechly, and he's not going to be.

#131 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

Beason was my favorite defensive player and the real leader of our defense.

Kuelchy is a very good MLB but i don't like when he is overeacting after a bad play.

lol.  I love Beason but Kuechly is a much better MLB, no question.

Anyway, looks like Beason had a solid start with pass coverage being his weakness (which it has been since his injury problems cropped up - I don't know if he'll ever be as good at coverage as he was pre-injuries):

Solid Start from Beason

Midseason trades don’t often work out, but only a week after being acquired by the Giants, Jon Beason showed signs that he could make an immediate impact for Big Blue. This was a mixed showing for Beason but positives were there to be taken especially in run defense (+2.9). The downside was in pass coverage (-2.0), especially in the first half, allowing completions on all four targets for 33 yards and three first downs — the one that didn’t go for a first down he missed a tackle on. However, as the Bears looked to shorten the game with the run in the second half, Beason began to flourish, showing the athleticism and pursuit on his return to middle linebacker running down Matt Forte for a number of stops.

Beason, in fact, led the Giants with seven stops in his debut — his most in a single game since Week 7 of the 2009 season. If he can get back to the sort of pass coverage he showed in 2010 (his last full season with the Panthers), the Giants will have a rare, successful midseason acquisition on their hands. Scant consolation for their losing start, but a valuable piece moving forward, nevertheless.

https://www.profootb...nyg-chi-week-6/

#132 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,517 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

led the Giants in tackles last night...

#133 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

I said from the beginning that we should have got more than a supposed 7th rounder for him.

#134 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

The trade was for a conditional pick, correct?

If so, I'd assume it's based on playing/performance. Beason playing well is good to see as a fan of his, and as a Panthers fan, as it will surely increase the draft pick we're receiving. 

#135 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

http://www.giants.co...bb-75d1d116f3b6

New York traded for linebacker Jon Beason a week ago, and two days after the deal with the Carolina Panthers, he was playing on special teams for the Giants against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Four days after that – on a short week leading up to Thursday’s game against the Chicago Bears -- Beason was starting at middle linebacker over Mark Herzlich.

>> INSTANT ANALYSIS: BEARS 27, GIANTS 21 

He went on to lead the team with 12 tackles (11 solo) in the 27-21 loss at Soldier Field.

He's starting for them at MLB after only a week on the team.  Seems like playing out of position in Carolina was the main thing holding him back.  I'd rather have Kuechly in the middle but wish the Panthers had found a way to use him effectively.  But he's a 4-3 MLB through and through.  I think the Giants will end up the winners of this trade if he stays healthy.  (Feel free to merge this with the other thread...I was posting strictly about the game last night)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com