#31 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I think we should give McD a shot.  People were talking about him as our potential coach anyways from what I remember.  

Once we're officially out of the playoff race, see what he can do.  That's a practical route but still, we have JR so maybe waiting for a while with Riveriereia

#32 mjligon

mjligon

REAL TALK ----->

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think we should give McD a shot. People were talking about him as our potential coach anyways from what I remember.

Once we're officially out of the playoff race, see what he can do. That's a practical route but still, we have JR so maybe waiting for a while with Riveriereia

I want Rivera gone as much as the next person, but I would absolutely hate to see McDermott as our HC. I can't think of a worst nightmare than us giving McDermott a shot, him finishing the season by winning out...and then "earning" the hc position next year. fug. That.

#33 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,651 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

I'd say the Beason trade showed them that.

Gotta remember that Rivera is popular with the players. Firing him midseason may piss them off as much as anything.

Mind you, that's not a reason to keep him beyond this year.

I know he's popular on a human level... but at this point I'd have to think a growing number of players are realizing just how inept he is and they're getting tired of being embarrassed. 

I think you started to see some cracks in the armor yesterday with shots of players chuckling after Rivera had spoken to them. 

#34 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,036 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Was there any credibility to the begun search for a new coach that was reported a couple of days ago?

#35 Mike

Mike

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

The problem with firing Rivera mid season is if we end up with our version of Romeo Crennel. He took over the Chiefs and went 2-1 to round up the season. He got the job and they finished 2-14. I personally do not see any one on our coaching staff now that stands out as NFL head coach material. So while Rivera may find himself out of a job come the end of the season, doing it this early, or at any point in this season may not be the best course of action. Let Rivera finish out the season and see what happens. 

#36 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm sure the players are frustrated with the way things are, including the obvious ineptitude of this coaching staff, so firing Rivera and putting a guy like McDermott in charge might at least signal to the players that we're not going to settle for the status quo. 

I'm with you on this.

It sends the organization the message that it is not acceptable to be unprepared and undisciplined. Letting Rivera finish out the year is like letting a wound continue to fester. So what if we can't get the right antibiotics until the end of the year. At least slap some cream on it and cover it with a bandaid.

Doing nothing sends the wrong message to the team and it perpetuates the culture of losing.

#37 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,651 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

...and once it becomes clear that Rivera is a lame duck, it would be much more beneficial to fire him and appoint an interim HC with the statement that the interim HC was auditioning for the job (even if that's not true). 

#38 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

You actually talk to JR?

i take that with the same grain of salt i do when people say they are reviewing game film or have access to it or whatever

#39 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,903 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

what pisses me off is that this would have been the easiest year in a good while to go on a run in the NFC.

#40 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

I want Rivera gone as much as the next person, but I would absolutely hate to see McDermott as our HC. I can't think of a worst nightmare than us giving McDermott a shot, him finishing the season by winning out...and then "earning" the hc position next year. fug. That.

If he wins out that means we beat the falcons twice the Bucs twice the Saints twice and teams like New England ...

I don't have a problem with anyone being the coach after a start like that.

#41 Saxist Fed

Saxist Fed

halt the tomfoolery

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Locationthe.black.lodge

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think it'd be more like Fewell in Buffalo.  Even if he does well, part ways at year's end.  

#42 Lilsmitty09

Lilsmitty09

Nflpanthers07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Jim Skipper certainly could do no worse with this group.

The hell does our rbs coach who coached up the first tandem in nfl history to rush for 1100 yards each have to do with anything????

#43 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I would like Rivera to stay on as the DC, but I know the chances of that are beyond slim....

I think he's got a great mind but is not a good head coach.

Assuming we could have any coach in the world, college or otherwise, who would we hire that would be available next season? 

#44 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

i take that with the same grain of salt i do when people say they are reviewing game film or have access to it or whatever

You know that the all-22 game film is available commercially now, right?

I have the "game film" for Seattle vs Carolina on my computer right now.

In the same way, if you have been around a while, you know it's not that unusual for JR or Danny M. to call fans (especially PSL owners) that have taken the time to send in a letter. 

Perhaps you are a bit too skeptical.

#45 SteelSix

SteelSix

Born a moron

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Ron is our coach until 30Dec13 at least.

There's no better head coach on staff right now. Moving any of them wouldn't make any difference on the play on the field. 

Gettleman is committed to Ron and if he were to go back on that commitment he would lose respect in a profession that is steeped in respect. He's not doing that. 

We are what we are, we are the 2013 Panthers and we are 1-3.

The guys on the roster and in the offices have to deal with it and keep working to get back to winning football.

As fans, we can only wait and see if it comes together sooner rather than later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.