Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Can someone explain to me What the downside is to Firing Rivera mid-season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#49 the_philosopher

the_philosopher

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

A GM shouldn't decide that a season is lost after a 1-3 start that includes 2 very close losses. You and I might not be very optimistic give past years, but this is year 1 for him, and he's not getting paid to blow a team up when there's still reason to think we could turn things around this year.

#50 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Obvious former NFL head coaches that get linked with almost every job:

- Jon Gruden: I think he could do wonders with a QB like Cam. Plus I like the idea of trying an offensively minded head coach.

- Bill Cowher: a proven winner and could do a good job.

- Brian Billick: did a good job at the Ravens for the most part, won a super bowl; and remember when he was the OC at the Vikings they broke the record for most points in a season, and were a good offense.

- Lovie Smith: granted his offense can be dour, but he has a winning record as a HC, and could help continue this team's defense moving towards being an elite unit.

A few potential coordinators looking for that first opportunity:

- Ray Horton: He can certainly coach a good defense. He has two super bowl rings as a coach, so he knows how to win. He might be worth a look if he can bring a good OC with him.

- Mike Zimmer: He's got a great pedigree in coaching up dominate defenses. He's a no nonsense kind of coach, so he might be what this team needs.

- Greg Roman: He's done a good job as the 49ers OC. He's worked with a dual threat Kaepernick, and would probably get the best out of Cam.

- Jay Gruden: He's done a good job at the Bengals, and might be a good candidate from an offensive background.

Then there are a few college candidates:

- David Shaw, Stanford: His record since replacing Harbaugh has been very good. He's been a coach in the NFL. He's well respected. And I think he could be one of the next college head coaches to get a chance.

- Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M: Did a great job last season after replacing Sherman. His offense is NFL compatible, and his work with the dual threat Manziel would hopefully bode well for Cam.

- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame: He's good head coach and tactician.

- Bill O'Brien, Penn State: Proven coaching track record in the NFL, including being the QB coach and OC when Brady had his 5000 yard season. He's a good QB coach that might get the best out of Cam. He's also started well with Penn State.

- Dabo Swinney, Clemson: Excellent record at Clemson. A very solid coach. I wonder, would Gettleman dare to go for a Swinney-Boyd combination :ph34r:

Overall I don't know who I want to replace Rivera. I honestly don't mind who we get, or where we get them from, as long as they build this team into a perennial play off and super bowl contender.

None of the former guys interest me at all.

The only college guy I could get behind (Shaw) isn't interested in leaving his current job.

Zimmer is my top choice. I could go with Horton. Nix on Roman or Gruden.

Tom Clements would be a better option if you want an offensive coach, but bear on mind that his roots are in a system (WCO) that doesn't suit Newton's skill set.

Also worth a look: Winston Moss.

#51 !stUp

!stUp

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

The hell does our rbs coach who coached up the first tandem in nfl history to rush for 1100 yards each have to do with anything????

:startle:

#52 csx

csx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Not being a smart azz but is this true?? I hear this all time but I haven't seen anything credible to prove it.

Somebody said it, it gets repeated, niw its assumed by those who really dont know anything to be true.