• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have a lot of respect for Tom Coughlin, but I'd prefer a coach who isn't pushing 70.  If we had a team that we thought was on the cusp of contending for a Super Bowl and just needed that final push to get over the hump (like when Gruden came to TB) then I'd be all for it, but I think we need a young, energetic guy who is in it for the long haul.

#32 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

If you had a team on the cusp of the Super Bowl why would you replace the coach?

#33 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

i hope Gettleman has some tricks up his sleeve.  The time is now for crying out loud, get some coaches in here with some fire up their asses.  No more time for this wait and see approach.  Gettleman has to use some leverage and get his guys in here!!

#34 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,415 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Dave Gettleman got passed over a lot too.

I don't know that he's been interviewed that much. There's always been a 'hotter name'.

That, plus he's known to be, shall we say, a bit direct. If you asked him "Do I look fat in this?" he'd likely answer "H-ll yes you look fat. S--t, that outfit makes your a-- look like a f--king hippo!" :blink:

No one would give DG an interview

Some how we praise him as a great GM though. Anyone who goes into this season with our OL.....either has no faith in RR and knows he is gone (and doesn't want to waste resources on fixing our holes).....or is crazy

#35 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Some how we praise him as a great GM though. Anyone who goes into this season with our OL.....either has no faith in RR and knows he is gone (and doesn't want to waste resources on fixing our holes).....or is crazy

DG wanted him gone, that's all there is to it.

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

You want a legit coach?

How about a guy whose defense includes guys like Terrence Newman and Vontaze Burfict whose unit haven't allowed a 300 yard passer in 19 games?

The Walkthrough: Absurd Stats Edition/

You want a legit coach? How about a guy whose defense took their team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB? Who has brought the #1 defense to every team he's DC'd within 2 seasons of joining them?

See, coordinator success is great, but I'm ready for a proven HC with a track record.

#37 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

I slowly keep getting interested in gruden.

Loves cam and who want him as his qb so cam wouldn't get phased out. Good.

Would develop a whole playbook for cam and this offense. Good.

Won a Super Bowl. Good.

Long complicated verbiage with play calling. Bad.

We will see though. Definitely need someone new and who can actually coach

#38 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Some how we praise him as a great GM though. Anyone who goes into this season with our OL.....either has no faith in RR and knows he is gone (and doesn't want to waste resources on fixing our
holes).....or is crazy

He had actually interviewed with two other teams in recent years.

You want a legit coach? How about a guy whose defense took their team to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB? Who has brought the #1 defense to every team he's DC'd within 2 seasons of joining them?

See, coordinator success is great, but I'm ready for a proven HC with a track record.

You mean a guy like Jimmy Johnson, George Seifert, or maybe Mike Shanahan?

Those were guys with proven track records that teams turned to to guide them to the promised land.

#39 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,515 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Dave Gettleman got passed over a lot too.

I don't know that he's been interviewed that much. There's always been a 'hotter name'.

That, plus he's known to be, shall we say, a bit direct. If you asked him "Do I look fat in this?" he'd likely answer "H-ll yes you look fat. S--t, that outfit makes your a-- look like a f--king hippo!" :blink:

Ron Rivera was passed over several times too. Do we even need to bring up Mike Shula's history? I'm seeing a trend here. Until our owner changes his philosophy and starts opening up his wallet for a real staff and not some cheap options, we're dead in the water.

#40 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,322 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

I slowly keep getting interested in gruden.

Loves cam and who want him as his qb so cam wouldn't get phased out. Good.

Would develop a whole playbook for cam and this offense. Good.

Won a Super Bowl. Good.

Long complicated verbiage with play calling. Bad.

We will see though. Definitely need someone new and who can actually coach

Gruden never developed a quarterback in his entire coaching career, and he took a Super Bowl team that Tony Dungy handed to him and ran it into the ground.

You don't wanna go down that road.

#41 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,515 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

Gruden would be an awful choice. I'd rather just hire Lovie Smith before getting that desperate.

#42 Here we go again

Here we go again

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Ron Rivera is not the problem ! It's the team .
A) it is making me sick that everyone knows they need receivers but them.

B) brandon lafell is a bum ! Plain and simple he doesn't even deserve a roster spot

C) good job get rid of Beason.... Idiots... You cut Steve Smiths great long time friend and ironically he blows the game.. Think about it.

D) in the last two madden football games If you start a franchise with Carolina, Steve Smith retires after the first season .... Maybe he should play a season and get the picture

E) Hardy thinks he is better than he actually is. He would be lucky if Peppers let him wipe the sweat from his sack

F) we DO NOT need Stewart, Williams and Tolbert . Trade 2 of em for a wr

G) the o-line sucks

H) needs to face it he is just another running QB, be what you are. It's working for Pryor

I) our defense is great and so is kuechly , it's all offense ( this year )

#43 TNPanther

TNPanther

Jimmie Rustler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,129 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ron Rivera is not the problem ! It's the team .
A) it is making me sick that everyone knows they need receivers but them.

B) brandon lafell is a bum ! Plain and simple he doesn't even deserve a roster spot

C) good job get rid of Beason.... Idiots... You cut Steve Smiths great long time friend and ironically he blows the game.. Think about it.

D) in the last two madden football games If you start a franchise with Carolina, Steve Smith retires after the first season .... Maybe he should play a season and get the picture

E) Hardy thinks he is better than he actually is. He would be lucky if Peppers let him wipe the sweat from his sack

F) we DO NOT need Stewart, Williams and Tolbert . Trade 2 of em for a wr

G) the o-line sucks

H) needs to face it he is just another running QB, be what you are. It's working for Pryor

I) our defense is great and so is kuechly , it's all offense ( this year )

Strong username to post content ratio

#44 The_Mango55

The_Mango55

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Gruden never developed a quarterback in his entire coaching career, and he took a Super Bowl team that Tony Dungy handed to him and ran it into the ground.

You don't wanna go down that road.

Why do people give all credit to Dungy for building that SB team but forget to give credit to Gruden for building the other Super Bowl team?

#45 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Coughlin is not coming to Carolina.  He has two Superbowl rings and a solid regular season record.  He's been successful everywhere he's been.  Why would a 67 year old coach want to come to one of the worst franchises in the NFL to crap on the twilight of his HOF career?

Oh I don't think he would either.  I was just saying, it might not seem like a good move but I would actually be all for it.  The chances are one in a million, but I think it would be good for this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com