Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"We invented Jesus"

282 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It seems that there is enough historical evidence that an apocalyptic prophet named Jesus existed. Then again most of the historical evidence all says he did a lot of unnatural bizarre stuff so i can understand why so many doubt his existence. If all the historical documents that spoke of Pompey described him as a man with two heads that could breath fire and walk on water, i'd tend to think it was mythological nonsense and he likley didn't exist. So i get why people don't think Jesus was a real person. But i do think scholars can work through the different documents and context of the times to come up with a reasonable evidence based argument that Jesus was a real person.

So I tend to think that Jesus wasn't invented just reinvented. He inspired the legend that is widely known. Kind of like St. Nicholas 

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Maybe because temple with all records was destroyed in 70 AD? Remember, only few people back in the day could write and read.

I dont quite remember 70 AD as you seem to.

Posted · Report post

Islam is way older than that... Ishmael the son of Abraham who is mostly responsible for starting Islam. Islam as religion never took off until Muhammad.

Bc a "Peace loving messiah and son of God" would never be embraced by the war cultures in the region....add kill the infidel, religious purity and swords are raised with mighty screams of joy....otherwise known as the first marketing to your audience so they embrace an idea.

Bearded Flower boy in sandals would get the boot.

Posted · Report post

sounds like a gigantic argument from conclusion, which is as anti-scholastic a methodology as they come, but we'll see what he says. i'm interested to see what kind of evidence he cites in support of this position and whether or not there are any legitimate corroborating sources.

on the surface this seems to fall in line with gavin mensies/georgio tsoukalos bullshit for-profit pseudoacademia.

Posted · Report post

Meh, I'll stick with "Man From Earth" as my alternate Christianity origin story. (It should still be on Netflix) Makes more sense than this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I love that movie.

Posted · Report post

It sounds like the plot from a script written by Kurt Sutter.

Posted · Report post

Here is a snippit of a timeline with decent arguments from a good documentary on Netflix.

The interviews with Folklore experts and scholars bring up points that make perfect sense and should be viewed bc they support the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzGA_xFlC8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted · Report post

Here is a snippit of a timeline with decent arguments from a good documentary on Netflix.

The interviews with Folklore experts and scholars bring up points that make perfect sense and should be viewed bc they support the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzGA_xFlC8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jesus... the most successful urban legend ever?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hell, at least this shows motive.

The traditional story of Jesus, and subsequently Christianity, cannot be believed by a thinking person. It's absolutely preposterous.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Hell, at least this shows motive.

The traditional story of Jesus, and subsequently Christianity, cannot be believed by a thinking person. It's absolutely preposterous.

"if you don't believe in something, you'll believe in anything" is one of the most ironic statements i've ever heard

Posted · Report post

http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm

For anyone interested in world religions this is a pretty interesting take.

Seemed Tinderbox worthy as some of you are well versed in spotting government propaganda.

It seems logical if you dont know whats written in the New testament which is the foundation of chrisitainity but it's very anti-roman in many area's even in especially in Revelations. 

Honestly of all the attempts to debunk christianity this only I think is probably one of the weaker attempts, you would have to ignore large portions of the new testament to even begin to believe this.

and as I've stated before I am a theist first christian second, so it's not like ya'll are hurting my feelings by even questioning anything, I've questioned many times myself and still do sometimes that there isn't a better answer to the question of who is God. but firmly believe that there is one.

Posted · Report post

Joke's on them because Christianity is what ended up bringing Rome down.

1 person likes this

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments