• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#16 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

The dead sea scrolls have nothing to do with Christianity. They were older jewish writings.

I read how they had writing about crucifixion of messiah.

#17 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I read how they had writing about crucifixion of messiah.

As far as I know thats all based on a vague psalms passage about piercing hands and feet.

#18 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

http://uk.prweb.com/...web11201273.htm

For anyone interested in world religions this is a pretty interesting take.

Seemed Tinderbox worthy as some of you are well versed in spotting government propaganda.

It didn't take long for the peacefulness to wear off. There is nothing more violent than a group of people who think they are doing something in the name of good....or a God

#19 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

If the Roman Empire created Christianity, why didn't the empire embrace it until Constantine legalized it in 313?

Maybe covered in the article but admittedly didn't read.

Also if created to combat Judaism....how did they pull it off in the heart/center of Judaism

#20 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,749 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

If the Roman Empire created Christianity, why didn't the empire embrace it until Constantine legalized it in 313?

Maybe covered in the article but admittedly didn't read.

Politics I'm sure.  Augustus set a big precedence for pandering to the plebs.  

#21 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

It doesn't matter who's right and who is wrong we will all find out the truth in due time ....

#22 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,966 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

It doesn't matter who's right and who is wrong we will all find out the truth in due time ....

Unless we all just rot in the ground when we die, in that case, no one will find out the truth in any amount of time.

#23 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Atwill asserts that Christianity did not really begin as a religion, but a sophisticated government project, a kind of propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.

Atwill regards his evidence as conclusive and is confident its acceptance is only a matter of time.

Meh, I'll stick with "Man From Earth" as my alternate Christianity origin story. (It should still be on Netflix) Makes more sense than this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

#24 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Scientology FTW

#25 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

It seems that there is enough historical evidence that an apocalyptic prophet named Jesus existed. Then again most of the historical evidence all says he did a lot of unnatural bizarre stuff so i can understand why so many doubt his existence. If all the historical documents that spoke of Pompey described him as a man with two heads that could breath fire and walk on water, i'd tend to think it was mythological nonsense and he likley didn't exist. So i get why people don't think Jesus was a real person. But i do think scholars can work through the different documents and context of the times to come up with a reasonable evidence based argument that Jesus was a real person.

So I tend to think that Jesus wasn't invented just reinvented. He inspired the legend that is widely known. Kind of like St. Nicholas 

#26 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,019 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Maybe because temple with all records was destroyed in 70 AD? Remember, only few people back in the day could write and read.

I dont quite remember 70 AD as you seem to.

#27 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,019 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Islam is way older than that... Ishmael the son of Abraham who is mostly responsible for starting Islam. Islam as religion never took off until Muhammad.

Bc a "Peace loving messiah and son of God" would never be embraced by the war cultures in the region....add kill the infidel, religious purity and swords are raised with mighty screams of joy....otherwise known as the first marketing to your audience so they embrace an idea.

Bearded Flower boy in sandals would get the boot.

#28 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,068 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

sounds like a gigantic argument from conclusion, which is as anti-scholastic a methodology as they come, but we'll see what he says. i'm interested to see what kind of evidence he cites in support of this position and whether or not there are any legitimate corroborating sources.

on the surface this seems to fall in line with gavin mensies/georgio tsoukalos bullshit for-profit pseudoacademia.

#29 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Meh, I'll stick with "Man From Earth" as my alternate Christianity origin story. (It should still be on Netflix) Makes more sense than this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I love that movie.

#30 PanthersBigD

PanthersBigD

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

It sounds like the plot from a script written by Kurt Sutter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com